END TANGLED HEADPHONE CORDS TODAY!!!...Headphone Cord Organizers...
May 29, 2006 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

imho

500+ Head-Fier
May 29, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 21
yep, got the sumajin smartwrap and the cable turtle both in my rig, links in my sig. turtle works for 7 ft long cables, sumajin for the shorter runs.

May 29, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
yep, got the sumajin smartwrap and the cable turtle both in my rig, links in my sig. turtle works for 7 ft long cables, sumajin for the shorter runs.

I've seen the smartwrap, that seems pretty sweet too..

May 29, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
lol...cable fish looks awesome

yah, those little figure-8's 're ovepriced but make life a lot easier. I'm waiting for one like my vacuum cleaner's, push button, the slack cord gets reeled in superfast.

May 29, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by lostbobby
yah, those little figure-8's 're ovepriced but make life a lot easier. I'm waiting for one like my vacuum cleaner's, push button, the slack cord gets reeled in superfast.

How LAZY can you get? ROFLMAO!

May 29, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 21
If you havent got a tangle of cables that would make a console collector envious then you havent got your rig set up properly.
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #11 of 21
Using a cable-tidy like one of these is only going to a negative effect on SQ. Its a proven fact that cables love getting knottted up. How else can a cable be hung neatly to be completely knotted up when next removed?
580smile.gif

Do you like being stopped from doing things you like?
etysmile.gif

May 29, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #12 of 21
Just be careful how you wrap your cables! Take a look at console controllers where people wrap the cable around the controller every time they're done playing.

Make sure that when you're wrapping a cable around something that you don't twist the cable. Even so, wrapping a cable will wear it out over time. Tis better to make big coils.

May 30, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #14 of 21
I keep my headphones on Office Depot coat racks which I've shortened by taking out the middle piece. So the headphone racks are about the same height as a standard audio rack.

With this storage arrangement, what I've found works best is to let the cords hang down to floor level, but then bunch up any remaining cord length and the plug itself and tuck them away in a cloth pouch of some sort. Audio Technica provides such a pouch with the W5000 and the L3000. This protects the cords and plugs from getting damaged or scratched on the tile floor. It also helps to keep things tidy and to allow me to grab any pair of headphones without having to untangle a pile of cords.

I've found that if the headphone cables are hanging down (as they are with most headphone stands), it puts a lot of downward pull pressure on them if you wrap up the cords with a twistie of some sort (or with the kinds of cord organizers linked to in this thread). The main thing is to make sure the weight of the cord is not suspended in mid air.

I could see these cord organizers working quite well for long, thin cords like the 10' cord on my UE10-Pro. But I can't imagine that it would work so well for thicker, more heavy duty cords.

May 30, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon
Make sure that when you're wrapping a cable around something that you don't twist the cable. Even so, wrapping a cable will wear it out over time. Tis better to make big coils.

I think this is an important point, and was part of what I was trying to say when I mentioned that it doesn't seem to me that a lot of these products would work well with thicker headphone cords (for full size headphones). They may end up taking on a 'coiled' look even when unwrapped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back