End Game Rigs?
Dec 30, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #16 of 35

Quote:
Again... Source? I've never read this thing of the "USB superiority" (???) anywhere

It's currently the best method for getting audio from a computer, with perhaps the exception of the Mykerinos card. That requires custom playback software though, and is probably a complete bear to set up. I also don't even know what it costs, though you can be sure it ain't cheap. Considering what the AES16 costs, I'd bet it's way more than the PK90 USB.

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #17 of 35

Quote:
It's currently the best method for getting audio from a computer, with perhaps the exception of the Mykerinos card. That requires custom playback software though, and is probably a complete bear to set up. I also don't even know what it costs, though you can be sure it ain't cheap. Considering what the AES16 costs, I'd bet it's way more than the PK90 USB.

always nice to read o_O

Mykerinos Sound Card ( How much does this thing cost and where would this be acquired ? )

Jan 5, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #19 of 35
Wyred4Sound DAC2>Cavalli Liquid Fire Amp>LCD3(when they get that all worked out)  With a cable or two that will take you to $7K.  I have not heard a Stat rig but I'd like one.  W4Sound DAC2>Cavalli Liquid Lightning>Stax009.  Should be incredible but of course you'd have to listen to one and the LL isn't out until May.  That would take you to just North of $10K

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #22 of 35

Quote:
It's currently the best method for getting audio from a computer

How is USB possibly any better than S/PDIF, may I ask?

Anyway, talking end-game rigs...if I can find a Normal bias SR-Lambda whose drivers are still intact in their stock state and balanced across the spectrum, and maybe find a good amp to pair with it (just to consolidate things down from a bulky receiver + transformer box), I'm calling it off there before Head-Fi does any further damage to my wallet. It's hard enough to afford Lambda setups as it is, let alone SR-009 + Blue Hawaii SE or Liquid Lightning...

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #23 of 35

Quote:
I had unbearable wearing issue with K1000, other than that it is a winner, for me anyways.

Put on a baseball cap, extend the k1000 temple pads, put it on the baseball cap, I swear, you won't even know its there anymore!

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #24 of 35

Quote:
How is USB possibly any better than S/PDIF, may I ask?

USB is problematic, but so is S/Pdif, particularly S/Pdif driven by a motherboard powered sound card with a single, average quality clock. A high quality USB > S/Pdif asynchronous converter uses two clocks, one for 44.1 and one for 48. Clock synthesis is simply inaccurate, and this avoids that issue, plus you get the clocks away from the inside of the computer, and preferably away from power provided by the computer. Asynchronous mode is not a cure-all (just ask the Hiface), but when well implemented instead of just done as cheaply as possible, it can provide for extremely good results. Indeed, The Absolute Sound's "best digital sound" at RMAF 2011 was a tie between the Empirical Overdrive and Synergistic The Music Cable - both USB DACs connected to Mach2Music servers.

Jan 5, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #25 of 35

Quote:
Put on a baseball cap, extend the k1000 temple pads, put it on the baseball cap, I swear, you won't even know its there anymore!

Having to wear hats shouldn't be a prerequisite anytime you want to listen to your rig.  I picked up a K1000 recently and have no issues with fit so far, just amping issues.  I purchased a pass labs aleph 3 for ampage, but am looking for a good pre-amp to pair with the combo.  Any ideas?  

Jan 5, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #27 of 35

Quote:
Having to wear hats shouldn't be a prerequisite anytime you want to listen to your rig.  I picked up a K1000 recently and have no issues with fit so far, just amping issues.  I purchased a pass labs aleph 3 for ampage, but am looking for a good pre-amp to pair with the combo.  Any ideas?  

Its not a prerequisite. Its advice to someone having an issue with comfort. And good advice at that. I don't have comfort issues, so I don't need a hat. 

Melos SHA-1 or Gold has a nice pre-amp with the side benefit of having a nice headphone amp for standard headphones as well. Other than that, there are unlimited options for pre's. 

Jan 5, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #28 of 35

Quote:
USB is problematic, but so is S/Pdif, particularly S/Pdif driven by a motherboard powered sound card with a single, average quality clock. A high quality USB > S/Pdif asynchronous converter uses two clocks, one for 44.1 and one for 48. Clock synthesis is simply inaccurate, and this avoids that issue, plus you get the clocks away from the inside of the computer, and preferably away from power provided by the computer. Asynchronous mode is not a cure-all (just ask the Hiface), but when well implemented instead of just done as cheaply as possible, it can provide for extremely good results. Indeed, The Absolute Sound's "best digital sound" at RMAF 2011 was a tie between the Empirical Overdrive and Synergistic The Music Cable - both USB DACs connected to Mach2Music servers.

Jitter issues, as I suspected. I don't know if they're that much of a big deal, but I'd have to audition some better equipment first.

However, if the best results are through USB, that presents me with a dilemma. The reason I tend to look at DACs with S/PDIF input and rule out those that only accept USB is that I can still leave a sound card in the chain for its DSP features. From a gaming standpoint, not having the DSP is bad, because then I lose binaural sound, hardware acceleration, EAX, and all that, and with those last two, the sound that the game developers intended (because the software audio fallback omits effects entirely).

I guess the only way around it at this point is to have two separate sound systems for gaming and music if I'm seeking the absolute best performance for each, nevermind my thin wallet.

Jan 5, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #29 of 35

Quote:
However, if the best results are through USB, that presents me with a dilemma. The reason I tend to look at DACs with S/PDIF input and rule out those that only accept USB is that I can still leave a sound card in the chain for its DSP features. From a gaming standpoint, not having the DSP is bad, because then I lose binaural sound, hardware acceleration, EAX, and all that, and with those last two, the sound that the game developers intended (because the software audio fallback omits effects entirely).

I guess the only way around it at this point is to have two separate sound systems for gaming and music if I'm seeking the absolute best performance for each, nevermind my thin wallet.

Do all of those DSP features work over S/Pdif, or for that matter with a stereo DAC that only accepts stereo PCM signals? I think the best option is to use a dedicated player for computer audio anyway. Something like the Auraliti PK90 USB is very affordable. You can connect it to a DAC that has both asynch and S/Pdif inputs (DacMagic Plus, etc), and just switch the DAC back and forth between sources as necessary.

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #30 of 35

Quote:

It's FUNNY you said that because I tried that one time (I was already wearing the cap and just decided to put the cans on), and you are 100% correct... "you won't even know it's there anymore!"  I won't attempt to figure out why, and I generally don't have headache or pressure issues unless I'm eating with them on.  But you are so right.  As for (not) having to wear a cap to enjoy your rig, there's so much more weird, inconvenient, expensive, or ritualistic stuff that we do around here for good sound.  How about a sweat band?  
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back