'End-game' headphone rigs, unicorns and other myths
Jun 3, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #211 of 286
Im not gonna say ive got an end game rig, but I have been using the exact same rig for the last 2 years and been completely hapyp with it. Ever since I got my JH-13's i knew i had something that to me was special. I've gone to several meets, and heard most of the flagship headphones(i still need to hear the LCD-3s and the SR-009s) but nothing ive heard was better than the 13's for me, and only the LCD-2s were as good. And i run them out of an Audio-GD Sparrow at home.

So sure im always looking at new sources, the Anedio D2 has my eye now since its got a built in amp that would do just fine for my 13's, but then i look at how many cds i could buy with that 1500 dollars and i remember how happy i am with what ive been using.

just my .02

Jun 4, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #212 of 286
2 years is, indeed, unusual - come back and see me in another 2 years.   
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #213 of 286
IMO there can be no ONE end game rig in headphone world. BUT multiple end game rigs can be achieved...
These are mine

Esoteric K01>Kubala Sosna Fascination XLRs>WES>SR009
Esoteric K01>Kubala Sosna Fascination XLRs>ECBA>HD800/K1000/HE-6
Esoteric K01>Kubala Sosna Fascination XLRs>EAR HP-4>HP2
Esoteric K01>Van Den Hul RCAs>Stingray>PS1000/LCD-2/RS1

My LCD-3 should be here in the next few days

And I'm still looking at a few amps; Pinnacle, BHSE, Dark Star.
And some headphones ; HE90, R10.
And some shelf space...:wink:

Jun 4, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #214 of 286
Right - and of course there will NEVER be updates to the HE-6 or LCD-3, right ?  I'm sorry, but you live in a fantasy world - nice in here, isnt it ?  
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #215 of 286
Think im getting close to my end-game rigs. All headphones have some kind of moon cable other cables are by blue jeans.

Home Rig:
Buffalo 2 DAC, Beta 22 Pre-AMP, Firstwatt F1 Power-AMP (dont have yet)
K1000, HP1000, HD800, HE500

Portable Rig:
HM-801 (maybe replace with HM901), JH13

So all I am missing is a firstwatt amp and maybe HM901 :) tell me what you think guys. PS im still going to stick with everything since I really love what I have already, just wondering what others thinks.

Jun 4, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #217 of 286
Jun 4, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #218 of 286
Quote:
Right - and of course there will NEVER be updates to the HE-6 or LCD-3, right ?  I'm sorry, but you live in a fantasy world - nice in here, isnt it ?  
biggrin.gif

SR-015 is where I'll stop, even though it will undoubtedly sound veiled compared to the SR-017.  
wink.gif

Jun 4, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #219 of 286
Not sure how you could ever settle for either of those over the SR-020  
biggrin.gif

(I might add that a large chunk of the Stax mafia seems to have decided they prefer the SR-007 to the 009 - that's showbiz !)

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #220 of 286
What about the change in hearing ability and taste as we age? Somebody crunch the permutations on "end-game." :wink:

Perhaps there is a business opportunity for high-end audio club, as for super cars. Pay an annual membership and get access to all the "end-game" gear.

Jun 5, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #221 of 286
What about the change in hearing ability and taste as we age?

Hey I'd buy into that - my tastes have at least changed, not sure on my hearing (I'd like to believe I haven't mucked it up too much :xf_eek:).

Perhaps there is a business opportunity for high-end audio club, as for super cars. Pay an annual membership and get access to all the "end-game" gear.

Isn't there a website or company that already does that? (And I don't mean "buy and return" via Amazon :p) - I remember reading about it, you can "rent" headphones or something of the sort.

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #223 of 286
If some of the posts in 'High End Audio' over the last couple of months are anything to go by, I am even more convinced that the concept of an 'end-game headphone rig' is a complete fantasy. 
rolleyes.gif

Just try and put together a 'spend once and walk away' rig, from wall outlet to your ears, for 10K USD (MSRP) - and I guarantee you that you will have to make compromises and leave something on the shelf that you know you want to hear. Choice is good and choice is evil.  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #224 of 286
Quote:

Just try and put together a 'spend once and walk away' rig, from wall outlet to your ears, for 10K USD (MSRP) - and I guarantee you that you will have to make compromises and leave something on the shelf that you know you want to hear. Choice is good and choice is evil.  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Challenge Accepted!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #225 of 286
Great - that's one - any chance that we can have the rig with costings sometime in the next few days, please ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back