End game dac under $3k
Mar 29, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #18 of 34
Mar 30, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #20 of 34
Mar 31, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #21 of 34
Too much music listening...
Promising... I see you are familiar with Holo and Yggy. So, when can we expect a comparative review from you? That would be extremely interesting from my point of view!

Mar 31, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #22 of 34
Loving the Holo Level 3 kitsune. Everything I wanted and more....

Mar 31, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #23 of 34
Promising... I see you are familiar with Holo and Yggy. So, when can we expect a comparative review from you? That would be extremely interesting from my point of view!

Me too...though I may have to travel to re-listen to the Holo Level 3. My friend, who owns it, used to be 5 minutes away. I could listen on a regular basis, but he's now 12 hours away.

I will certainly post my thoughts on the Yggy analog 2, once I get mine processed through the upgrade queue. I also hope to hear it at a meet event next weekend. Though with meet conditions, it might be difficult.

Mar 31, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #24 of 34
Mar 31, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #25 of 34
Interesting read, thanks! What is not clear to me is how you perceived the two dacs from the point of view of the soundstage width. Which one sounds wider? As a side note, I had a Gumby in my system recently and I also felt it had a slightly weak mid bass, but it might have been my room or associated gear.

I must admit that I'm particularly curious about the Onyx...

Apr 1, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #26 of 34
Interesting read, thanks! What is not clear to me is how you perceived the two dacs from the point of view of the soundstage width. Which one sounds wider? As a side note, I had a Gumby in my system recently and I also felt it had a slightly weak mid bass, but it might have been my room or associated gear.

I must admit that I'm particularly curious about the Onyx...

Headphones:
Spring under PCM (no upsampling) was wider than Yggy. I don’t remember specifically if DSD256 upsamle made the soundstage wider but seeing as how the upsampling made everything better I would venture to guess it was at least as good under PCM.

Speakers:
Yggy had a wider soundstage hands down under any circumstance.

Apr 1, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #27 of 34
:astonished: Ok, I have no reason not to doubt your impressions, but I must admit this is a bit confusing for me because I've never heard this kind of different behavior through speakers vs. phones. I haven't heard a lot of gear, though. I remember @Torq writing that Yggy portrays a "correct" soundstage, while Holo makes the individual instruments bigger and the soundstage wider, a bit unnaturally so - or something like this.

Sorry if this is off topic. Thanks for clarifications.

Apr 1, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #28 of 34
Yeah I was perplexed by it too. Don’t know what to tell ya other than audio is a strange beast. The soundstage difference through phones wasn’t huge. Not like the speakers difference where the Yggy exceeded the width of any other DAC I’ve had.

Maybe the difference is the Analog 2? @Torq’s comparisons weren’t on an Analog 2. Anyways, it’s just one data point. YMMV.

Apr 1, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #29 of 34
I find the soundstage observation a bit interesting as well. Not questioning what you heard and I dont know the rest of the components you have, so could very well be synergy as well. Thanks for the comparisons.

But this is not what I heard comparing the yggy and Kitsune L3 in my chain. I loaned a yggy for a couple days from a friend to compare with my Kitsune Holo Spring L3 with the ultra transparent GS-X mkII.

The Yggy combination sounded very detailed but too fatiguing and edgy to me. Whereas the Holo Kitsune L3 in NOS fed I2S from a Kitsune Singex was smooth with amazing detail and precise imaging. The GS-X is a super-transparent window into the source. I absolutely could not enjoy the Yggy in the chain. I couldn't be happier with what I chose.

Apr 1, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #30 of 34
I find the soundstage observation a bit interesting as well. Not questioning what you heard and I dont know the rest of the components you have, so could very well be synergy as well. Thanks for the comparisons.

But this is not what I heard comparing the yggy and Kitsune L3 in my chain. I loaned a yggy for a couple days from a friend to compare with my Kitsune Holo Spring L3 with the ultra transparent GS-X mkII.

The Yggy combination sounded very detailed but too fatiguing and edgy to me. Whereas the Holo Kitsune L3 in NOS fed I2S from a Kitsune Singex was smooth with amazing detail and precise imaging. The GS-X is a super-transparent window into the source. I absolutely could not enjoy the Yggy in the chain. I couldn't be happier with what I chose.

What version of the Yggy are you referring to here? Gotta be clear if we are talking analog output v1 or v2...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back