End-game Dac hunting 4-5k
Dec 21, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #107 of 132
Im not sure if it's everyones end game dac. Most think end game dacs have to cost 30k despite It's common knowledge in the industry that sound doesn't necessarily scale with amount spent.
My end game dac is the Rockna Wavelight. 4750USD It's simply the most musical dac I've ever heard. Of course YMMV
I really wonder how the new Wavelight sound compares to the older Wavedream Signature XLR edition... I guess I'll never get to compare the two, but those new Wavelights and the Hydra Vox stack look like 2 impressive sets from Rockna/Audiobyte.

Dec 21, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #108 of 132
The HA 200 looks very tempting. I will see if there is any place in my local area for an audition.
One of the best is the T+A Ha200.
Others that come to mind are:
The dCS Bartok.
Hydra Vox
And Audiovalve Solaris with DAC Module
Edit: Mola Mola Tambaqui

Dec 21, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #109 of 132
HD 580 Jubilee (I have kept it for more than 10 years) and HD800s are actually great headphones and are very sensitive to sources and power capacity. The P7 may not be on the same level however it's easy to drive and it can easily tell you difference from different sources. I have both the P7 and the wireless (cord mode only) edition they are both pleasant to listen to. By the way I am a fans of B&W.
Go for a RME ADI2DAC. If you really want something differente there's Dante as a protocol. Really doubt you will be able to get differences from two decent DACs. Everyone seems ti have golden ears at bit level nowadays

To be honest, looking at your rig, I Will go for a TOTL headphones before thinking about the DAC (SR009S, RAAL SR1As, ...)

My 2 cents

Dec 21, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #110 of 132
I really wonder how the new Wavelight sound compares to the older Wavedream Signature XLR edition... I guess I'll never get to compare the two, but those new Wavelights and the Hydra Vox stack look like 2 impressive sets from Rockna/Audiobyte.
I honestly don't have any experience with the various Dreamwave models.
Bob at worldwidewholesale carries the entire line of Rockna. He thinks the only one that sounds better then the Wavelight is the Signature Dreamwave 11K USD.

Here's a couple of recent reviews and their take on it.

http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/rockna-audio-wavelight-pre-dac-by-terry-london/

http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/rockna-audio-wavelight-pre-dac-–-followup-by-mike-wright/

Dec 27, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #111 of 132
Have a read at TAS on the Schiit Yggdrasil DAC. Often overlooked because it’s inexpensive, so some conclude it can’t be good.. Yet Robert Harley and others concluded that it’s about the best you can get regardless of cost.. I use one in my system and have no desire to change it.. I’ve had more expensive DAC’s that don’t come close to the SQ of the Yggy.. IME

Dec 29, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #112 of 132
Have a read at TAS on the Schiit Yggdrasil DAC. Often overlooked because it’s inexpensive, so some conclude it can’t be good.. Yet Robert Harley and others concluded that it’s about the best you can get regardless of cost.. I use one in my system and have no desire to change it.. I’ve had more expensive DAC’s that don’t come close to the SQ of the Yggy.. IME

I disagree with Robert. The Yggy 2 is good (I owned the latest one for a quite a while) but there are better DACs out there in around the same price range.

Dec 30, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #114 of 132
Which DACs did you find better than the ygg 2? What would you consider to be an upgrade?

Look at the high-end Audio-gd DACs but make sure you have a good transport (this is key). I'd get this: http://www.audio-gd.com/HE/R821HE/R821HEEN.htm
over the Yggy 2. Again, I like the the Schiit products and feel they provide significant value among North American products, but these newer audio-gd sources are punching well beyond their price.

Dec 30, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #115 of 132
I haven't looked back into Audio-gd stuff after they sort of fell out of favor with most audio communities. I actually bought the compass back in the day when they kind of first hit the headphone market. I'm a little hesitant to spend too much on their stuff until they gain a better rep (which could be now but I haven't researched recently). Any other DACs you've tried that better those two?

Dec 30, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #116 of 132
The HA 200 looks very tempting. I will see if there is any place in my local area for an audition.

Was on my shortlist. It got the looks (those VU meters), a very good DAC, an excellent HP amp...BUT... NO preamp outs (and at this price range!). It was a total deal breaker for me.

No matter how they defend that the 4-pin xlr out could be used as such....but cmon, at this price??? Tons of digital and analog inputs but no preamp outs...

Went to Audiobyte Hydra.Vox instead. And am happy.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #117 of 132
Was on my shortlist. Having NO preamp outs (especially on this price range) was a deal breaker.

No matter how they defend that the 4-pin xlr out could be used as such....but cmon, at this price??? Tons of digital and analog inputs but no preamp outs...
If I weren't so deep in already I'd go for the T+A Ha200, but at this point it seems like a side grade.

On the other hand the "piece by piece" upgrade was very enjoyable

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #118 of 132
Dec 30, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #119 of 132
I haven't looked back into Audio-gd stuff after they sort of fell out of favor with most audio communities. I actually bought the compass back in the day when they kind of first hit the headphone market. I'm a little hesitant to spend too much on their stuff until they gain a better rep (which could be now but I haven't researched recently). Any other DACs you've tried that better those two?

The very early audio-gd offerings ranged from disappointing all the way to merely average. Progress has been rapid in the past few years.
The Yggy2 was better than my PWD Mk2 and all other DACs listed in my profile. Only the audio-gd with their own DI20 transport surpassed it. Considering that's a 7-8 year old design, you can probably surmise the level their new flagships have reached.

Putting my money where my mouth is, in the next few days I'll be purchasing their DI20HE, R7HE and HE9 myself.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #120 of 132

Users who are viewing this thread

Back