End-game Dac hunting 4-5k
Apr 26, 2020 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 132

magicman2020

Head-Fier
It was recommended to me that I start a thread and enlist the help of the entire community to select my end game dac.

It's funny a year ago, I had just jumped back into hifi audio when I purchased an O2 amp/dac and a pair of Dekoni Blues headphones. Fast forward a year later and this hobby has grown on me so much so, that my next system has to be end-game. (or as close to it, as I can get)
My target system : Tidal > Lynx AES16e > Dac?? > 1101 Audio Blue Halo Amp (it's a supercharged 6J5 tube amp. According to Mischa, "it's very transparent!") > ZMF Verite C.

Im looking for a great neutral sounding dac. The contenders (but not limited to) are SW1X DAC 2, Schiit Yggdrasil A2, Sonnet Morpheus, and the Lampizator Amber 3.

This community has already been extremely helpful with information and suggestions concerning my other components so a BIG THANK YOU for that.

So without any further adieu let the shootout begin.

Apr 26, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 132
Haha yeah, mentioning "end game" DAC really means calling for the DCS Bartok or Rossini for me. Hugo TT2 + M-Scaler if you're on a budget :wink:

Apr 26, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 132
Seriously guys, interesting choices. Let me preface this by saying it's my end game. I mentioned some serious contenders. I hope that would indicate my end game price range. I hope that clears up any misunderstandings.
Seriously thanks for your replies.

Apr 26, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #6 of 132
Seriously guys, interesting choices. Let me preface this by saying it's my end game. I mentioned some serious contenders. I hope that would indicate my end game price range. I hope that clears up any misunderstandings.
Seriously thanks for your replies.

Ahh gotcha. You can always just say an end-game DAC below $4000-4500. The $13,500-15,000 DCS Bartok's definitely way out of this price range, but I think a used Hugo TT2 would be great for that, and that's what I'm planning to get along with the M-Scaler

Apr 26, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #7 of 132
Very high quality, neutral sound and transparence? Benchmark DAC3

Apr 26, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #8 of 132
At 4K it is difficult to get 'end game'. I find many DACs do some things right, but not everything, and you end up frustrated or bored with the sound eventually. R2R DACs are a good way to go and can give you a very smooth and natural sound for not too much money. There are kits around as well, many using tube gain stages.
The Lampizators are good, but I am not so keen on the lower level range. Any you will eat cash messing with tube rolling to try to leverage it's performance. Better to save a bit more and your choices get wider.
Good luck.

Apr 26, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #9 of 132
At 4K it is difficult to get 'end game'. I find many DACs do some things right, but not everything, and you end up frustrated or bored with the sound eventually. R2R DACs are a good way to go and can give you a very smooth and natural sound for not too much money. There are kits around as well, many using tube gain stages.
The Lampizators are good, but I am not so keen on the lower level range. Any you will eat cash messing with tube rolling to try to leverage it's performance. Better to save a bit more and your choices get wider.
Good luck.

I agree with this. A big part of me says to keep my Chord Qutest and skip the Hugo TT2+M-Scaler and save up for the DCS Bartok. If you think about it, since it's also a streamer AND you don't have to buy BNC cables that'd you need between the TT2 and M-Scaler, it's actually a pretty good value

Apr 26, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #11 of 132
Is Bartok an upgrade or sidegrade from Dave + mScaler? I have had this combo for sometime now and the upgrade itch has started.
This is purely from a DAC perspective as I will be using a separate streamer and headphone amp.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #12 of 132
Is Bartok an upgrade or sidegrade from Dave + mScaler? I have had this combo for sometime now and the upgrade itch has started.
This is purely from a DAC perspective as I will be using a separate streamer and headphone amp.

Haven't seen a Dave + M Scaler comparison, but this is how one compared with the Dave alone

13th Note DCS Bartok Review

"The Chord DAVE pitches up into chucking every bit of detail at the cost of a little tonal refinement and perhaps bass responsiveness. I’ve maybe lost myself to a bit of HiFi pretentiousness here…..Sorry, but the dCS Bartók is totally blowing my mind. It has at least the detail of the DAVE, maybe more, and there is as much layering as a Walls ice cream factory full of Viennetta’s. But compared to the DAVE it is more refined, a little tonally thicker and naturally more progressive and projected in these senses. It is quite possibly more musical in these regards? Is it a case of opening the pod doors for DAVE? The Bartók adds meat to the bones of the DAVE. It’s not slow with electronic music that is my preference – like the arpeggiated synths of Todd Terje’s Preben Goes to Acapulco.….. "

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #13 of 132
Apr 26, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #14 of 132
There are a lot of great options under $5K. Most new and interesting to me is the Rockna Wavelight. Rockna founder Nicolae Jitariu is highly respected in the digital space and has worked on designs for PS Audio and MSB in the past. His Wavedream DAC is pretty well acclaimed and it's nice to see a cheaper little brother now. Personally I am highly curious to try it.

Apr 27, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #15 of 132

Users who are viewing this thread

Back