End-game Dac hunting 4-5k
Aug 5, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #91 of 132
Ah! Well... I hope you get everything soon. I am certain that you will love the VCs. I'm really interested by the Blue Halo amps myself so keen to hear what you and Chrisdrop think when they arrive!
My goal was an absolutely transparent, versatile amp with a ultra black floor.
I have received update from Mischa @2029 as he has completed the amp part of my order and has given my Blue Halo the listening test. Mischa informed me it's mission accomplished!! I can't wait to hear it for myself.

Aug 5, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #92 of 132
My goal was an absolutely transparent, versatile amp with a ultra black floor.
I have received update from Mischa @2029 as he has completed the amp part of my order and has given my Blue Halo the listening test. Mischa informed me it's mission accomplished!! I can't wait to hear it for myself.

Ooh. Good news! can’t wait to hear what you think of it.

Aug 9, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #93 of 132
I was lucky to get a PSAudio Perfect Wave for little money. After going through most of the Metrum offerings I am utterly thrilled that the Perfect Wave can give me what I was missing with the Pavane...engagement and head nodding, that is.
Used PSAudio would be my suggestion.
I agree with the PS Audio. I got mine in new condition never used with Bridge II for $3500. I love my Directstream but of course you can do better.

Dec 20, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #94 of 132
What are the best amp combo DACs if price is not an issue? Would you consider Nagra HD DAC and Chord Dave even though they are more than 5 years old already and will be replaced very soon? dCS Bartok is a good one but I am not very impressed by its performance as well as appearance and is a bit overpriced I think.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #95 of 132
Go for a RME ADI2DAC. If you really want something differente there's Dante as a protocol. Really doubt you will be able to get differences from two decent DACs. Everyone seems ti have golden ears at bit level nowadays

To be honest, looking at your rig, I Will go for a TOTL headphones before thinking about the DAC (SR009S, RAAL SR1As, ...)

My 2 cents

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #96 of 132
What are the best amp combo DACs if price is not an issue? Would you consider Nagra HD DAC and Chord Dave even though they are more than 5 years old already and will be replaced very soon? dCS Bartok is a good one but I am not very impressed by its performance as well as appearance and is a bit overpriced I think.
One of the best is the T+A Ha200.
Others that come to mind are:
The dCS Bartok.
Hydra Vox
And Audiovalve Solaris with DAC Module
Edit: Mola Mola Tambaqui

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #97 of 132
Go for a RME ADI2DAC. If you really want something differente there's Dante as a protocol. Really doubt you will be able to get differences from two decent DACs. Everyone seems ti have golden ears at bit level nowadays

To be honest, looking at your rig, I Will go for a TOTL headphones before thinking about the DAC (SR009S, RAAL SR1As, ...)

My 2 cents
Indeed.

Take an SR1a full Jotunheim R package, say goodbye to the game.

Dec 20, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #98 of 132
Dec 20, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #99 of 132
Unless you like bass...
Oh. Ok. Since we have to pidgeonhole into a all-in-one system, use an adapter cable and drive your LCD-whatever or other planar out of the Jotunheim R, job done.

Dec 20, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #100 of 132
Unless you like bass...
To me SR1a has one the most controlled bass ever heard (but of course never heard an Abyss), and I do not need more. Anyway pair it with RME ADI2DAC and It should be easy to boost bass with EQ

Dec 20, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #102 of 132
Solve your temptation being curious, otherwise you can never find an end game dac.

Dec 20, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #103 of 132
Dec 20, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #104 of 132
Im not sure if it's everyones end game dac. Most think end game dacs have to cost 30k despite It's common knowledge in the industry that sound doesn't necessarily scale with amount spent.
My end game dac is the Rockna Wavelight. 4750USD It's simply the most musical dac I've ever heard. Of course YMMV

Dec 20, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #105 of 132
Im not sure if it's everyones end game dac. Most think end game dacs have to cost 30k despite It's common knowledge in the industry that sound doesn't necessarily scale with amount spent.
My end game dac is the Rockna Wavelight. 4750USD It's simply the most musical dac I've ever heard. Of course YMMV
Same for me, it brought everything up to a level where I am perfectly content with.

Another endgame all in one device is the Mola Mola Tambaqui.
It even has a built in streamer, but unfortunately the headphone outs are on the back of the device

Users who are viewing this thread

Back