End game AIO headphone amp and dac $3k
Sep 30, 2020 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Bruc3

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

What would you recommend as an end game all-in-one amp/dac that pairs well with the Sennheiser HD650 and HD800S?

If not AIO, at least a dac and amp that stacks neatly/nicely.

I have a preference for all in one as it is just neater to look at and takes less space on my desk. Also, I would prefer solid state, as I am not a fan of tubes.

So that being said, what would you recommend if you had budget around $3k ?

Some amp/dacs I am currently considering:
- Burson Conductor 3
- Questyle CMA Twelve
- ifi Audio Pro iDSD
- Mytek Brooklyn DAC plus

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #2 of 13
I am happier with separates even though I have several dacamps. I rarely use the amp sections though.

I have the Brooklyn DAC+ and I don't consider it ideal for 300 ohm Sennheisers. I don't know of any all in one except the V590 that would have enough amp for those cans. The V281 has plenty of power but it doesn't do DSD which is a deal-breaker for me and has for me an even more incompatible form factor than the V280. And that is saying a lot.

Tube OTL amps are the absolute top choice for the cans you mentioned. If you want solid state you might consider the V280 plus DAC of your choice if you don't like the V590. The V280 form factor is weird and does not stack well with anything I can think of.

My Sennheiser setup is the Brooklyn DAC+ into a V280 balanced all the way. I love the DAC to the point I don't think I would change anything about it. It's a beautiful piece of gear that feels like your money was not wasted.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 13
HDV820

But the real answer is not an AIO nor neat and stackable

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 13
I love my Brooklyn+, I recommend a linear psu for it, raises the price somewhat though.

Have you considered the new GSX mini? Just about the perfect amp for those 2 headphones and leaves you around $1200 for a DAC, theres plenty of options available at that price (even more if you check the used market), and the amp should be endgame for sure.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 13
I love my Brooklyn+, I recommend a linear psu for it, raises the price somewhat though.

Have you considered the new GSX mini? Just about the perfect amp for those 2 headphones and leaves you around $1200 for a DAC, theres plenty of options available at that price, and the amp should be endgame for sure.
The brooklyn and gsx would be ok on hd650 but i wouldn't recommend it for hd800s

Oct 1, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 13
I am happier with separates even though I have several dacamps. I rarely use the amp sections though.

I have the Brooklyn DAC+ and I don't consider it ideal for 300 ohm Sennheisers. I don't know of any all in one except the V590 that would have enough amp for those cans. The V281 has plenty of power but it doesn't do DSD which is a deal-breaker for me and has for me an even more incompatible form factor than the V280. And that is saying a lot.

Tube OTL amps are the absolute top choice for the cans you mentioned. If you want solid state you might consider the V280 plus DAC of your choice if you don't like the V590. The V280 form factor is weird and does not stack well with anything I can think of.

My Sennheiser setup is the Brooklyn DAC+ into a V280 balanced all the way. I love the DAC to the point I don't think I would change anything about it. It's a beautiful piece of gear that feels like your money was not wasted.
SPL Phonitor XE with DAC768, or Phonitor X with DAC768xs if you need a preamp too.

I have both HD650 and HD800S and they work brilliantly with my Phonitor X. I use an external DAC, but the amp section is the same.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #7 of 13
Thanks for the suggestions guys, seems many different options. As most of you said, I am probably better off with a seperate amp and dac, so also considering that as an option now. I might have a chance at getting a used Burson 3R for descent price, hoping that comes through. Will see.

After a lot of reading have been also tempted to give Tubes a twell, something like the bottlehead crack comes up alot in searches. Not a big fan of it aesthetically though, as cables all stick out from the top.

Oct 2, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #8 of 13
You could always do a Woo Audio WA 6 SE, and an RME ADI2 DAC.. Great combo under $3K
Don't be adverse to buying 2nd hand, which will cost less.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #10 of 13
Yes, I am definitely considering 2nd hand too, I have heard many good things about RME ADI2, but it is fairly expensive here in Australia and would eat up too much of my budget.

Oct 2, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #12 of 13
Thanks for the suggestions guys, seems many different options. As most of you said, I am probably better off with a seperate amp and dac, so also considering that as an option now. I might have a chance at getting a used Burson 3R for descent price, hoping that comes through. Will see.

After a lot of reading have been also tempted to give Tubes a twell, something like the bottlehead crack comes up alot in searches. Not a big fan of it aesthetically though, as cables all stick out from the top.
DNA Starlett

Oct 4, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #13 of 13
A friend of mine runs a Brooklyn DAC + with a Vaiolectic V281. A friend, I found it. Both work fine with HD800s

But with the HD650 I personally used the Hugo1 and Bakoon HPA-01, I found that it made the HD650 sound much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back