enclosures
Jun 23, 2002 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
I know someone posted these a while back but I can't find them. Does anyone remember or have bookmarked the sites that sell the aluminum and extruded aluminum enclosures that the Max and Corda HA-1 use? Any other nice metal enclosure links would be cool too, I just can't stand plastic--aesthetics thing.

Jun 23, 2002 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 18
Try Hammond's new 1455 line here.

ok,
erix

Jun 23, 2002 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 18
I've ordered 10 of these 1455 (clear, not black) to house production version of portable DAC. Hopefully they look good in person as they do on pictures.

Jun 24, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 18
I've built one amp in a black 1455, and expect to build a few more in coming weeks. It's not of the same caliber as the Corda -- the metal is thinner and the paint isn't as tough. But hey, $20. Hard to argue with that price.

In fact, kelly, the amp I will be sending to you soon will be in a 1455N1601.

Jun 24, 2002 at 4:08 AM Post #6 of 18
I got mine (or I should in 2 weeks or so, 3-4 weaks is the lead time from manufacturer, surprised to see people already have them!) for about $18.5 Canadian... or $11 US. Plus tax, but no shipping. So the price is right, can't wait to see them in person... Mine are clear so paint is no issue...

Local stores here have wonderful choice of large enclosures, but small are usually not so good looking.

There was a topic on enclosures a couple of months back (in winter I think) on Headwize, I've seen several links. Might be worth checking out.

One advantage of 1455 is the built-in "rack", so you can just slide PCB in. But I don't know how would you secure it there so it doesn't move up and down. How did you do it tangent?

Jun 24, 2002 at 4:42 AM Post #7 of 18
I love the one eric used for mine. It's a die cast aluminum one. But I want it to be thicker and larger to have room for 6 25V 1000uf Elna Cerafines, yet still small enough to be a travel amp (as in fit in a large backpack/suitcase/dufflebag with headphones, cables and CDs).

Jun 24, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #8 of 18
AOS: i have built an amp into one of the 1455 series, i used a few spots of hot glue to keep the board from sliding, but i also had my panel connections wired to the board instead of pcb mounting. i also tried using a nut/bolt/washer to make a small clamp, slide the washer into the "slot" above the board, and tighten it.

Jun 24, 2002 at 4:49 AM Post #9 of 18
With the META42, you just mount the pot to the front panel of the case, and either let the back edge float in space or give it some light support. Since the case is anodized, it basically doesn't conduct -- you have to scratch it pretty deeply to get it to conduct. So, there's no worries about the amp grounding out on the bottom of a case.

On the difference in price, I'm talking about a version with the metal panels and that's one of the bigger versions. For your DAC, you're probably using a smaller version, and you can save more money by getting plastic panels. The price range is pretty wide. I was just commenting on the fact that they're not $50-100 like the Corda and Headroom cases must be.

Jun 24, 2002 at 7:43 AM Post #10 of 18
Yeah, I thought of glue too. I'm sure it works perfectly but if you have to remove board later... I'm thinking of the same thing as tangent, having pcb-mounted pot be also mounted on the panel, and that is keeping the board in place, but I would like more support... something like a stopper in the rail would be nice but I have no idea how to do that. Hm... use glue as the stopper, to create a tough spot in the rails, NOT to actually glue the PCB to the case! Doh.

I ordered 1455K1601 which is a bit smaller - 81mm x 35mm , though still the same 6" length, and with metal panels. N1601 is the next size and is a bit more expensive. I wasn't commenting on price, just was surprised that somebody already has some. I have a habit of talking when I shouldn't and then people misunderstand me (or even worse, take my words for the complete opposite, so I have to go around telling people I wasn't insulting them at all). Something like Hagrid (Harry Potter overload). Oh, and I STILL didn't receive promotion (500+ member!).

Jun 24, 2002 at 8:00 AM Post #11 of 18
It seems to me that if you've got the pot mounted to the front of the case, the only issue is maybe having a bit of support under the back edge. If you put a droplet of hot glue or two back there, being careful to make them the right height, they'll act like pads under the edge of the board.

You can make them a little bit tall, let them cool, and then shape them down with your soldering iron, too. I sculpt hot glue with soldering irons occasionally -- it works well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2002 at 10:11 AM Post #12 of 18
I was just thinking about this series of Enclosures as i remember eric and or aos posted about them some time ago. Also of interest is a similar product from LMB Heeger at http://www.lmbheeger.com/46.htm I have used Other LMB Enclosures notably the CR series to house my Origenel and Pocket amp's However the Extruded Enclosures are so mutch Cooler looking

Jun 24, 2002 at 3:27 PM Post #14 of 18
Been meaning to ask: has anyone stuffed an amp into one of the new round Altoids tins yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back