Enclosure for stepped attenuator
Apr 14, 2009 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ephrank

100+ Head-Fier
Apr 14, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 8
That's a basic aluminum box made by LMB, which I bought at a local electronics store. I don't remember the model number, but there are plenty of similar boxes from various manufacturers and vendors. Just find one that fits the attenuator you want to use.

Apr 14, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 8
I'm just outside of Sydney ephrank, i can knock you up a mounting box out of Al or Stainless, drop me a line with dimensions and your idea/design and i will see what i can do if you want.

Apr 15, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 8
AMB: Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately here in Aus there are far less local electronics retailers. Basically Jaycar is all we have. I had to order all of my beta 22 parts from Mouser and took advantage of their $30 international shipping because Jaycar doesn't stock "audio grade" parts.

nickyboyo: Thanks for your offer! I am looking for a 80mm W x 40mm D x 40mm H aluminum case, the thicker the alu the better
smily_headphones1.gif
This Jaycar box (see link below) will fit my amp chassis after some modding - I'll have to saw off one side of the box to bring the width down from 111mm to 80mm. The saw-off side will sit against the backpanel of the amp so there will be no "leakage". BTW that was the outside dimension. The Goldpoint stepped attenuator I'm using is 74mm x 35.5mm x 32mm. What do you think?

Link to jaycar box: Economy Die-cast Aluminum Boxes - 111 x 60 x 54mm - Jaycar Electronics

Apr 15, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #5 of 8
It shouldn't take long to knock up a box to whatever dimensions you need. We could even incorporate a few different ideas, eg- hinged access or removable panels for fitment/removal. The only things we need to sort out is how/where it will be mounted and where to wiring is fed through the box. Apart from that mate i can't see any issues. The thickness of the Al you require is no worry either, i can just layer as required if i haven't got access to a suitable thickness.

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by sid_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the benefits of putting the stepped attenuator in an aluminium box?

Provides extra RFI shielding.

Apr 15, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #8 of 8
ephrank, i'm off work at the moment, soaking up the autumn rays before Richo becomes cold enough to freeze the balls off a penguin. I'm in work next week and i can pick some things up. I'll pen down a sketch and drop you a message bud. Forget these bought cases, diy all the way
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back