EMU1212M, alsa?
Mar 11, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by twodeko
btw... i am dual booting

If you have to do work in linux, or just want to use it for learning, what I do on my home desktop, is I run linux in vmware within windows, that way I can still utilize windows vastly superior multimedia capabilities, and still use linux.

Mar 11, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #17 of 23
for school and that i do some coding and would like to start getting into web dev... i have been learning linux but with me i kind of need to give it my full attention or else i won't be able to figure out problems.

its ability to multitask and efficiently handle many processes has impressed me so far, along with just exception performance overall (i am running an AMD64 build too
tongue.gif
) debian is amazing!

i honestly don't see what windows can give me that linux can't, and i don't want to erupt a huge linux vs. windows ordeal but i am impressed and would like to be able to relax and listen to tunes while messin with linux. that is where EMU fails.
tongue.gif

Mar 11, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #18 of 23
Asmo: It doesn't have better capabilities in multimedia.

In fact, of all the three operating systems, the *nix base is the best for multimedia. But because it's a free operating system nobody takes advantage of it.

For example, to render all of the Finding Nemo images, they would create the graphics and animation with a Mac OS X but then do the actual COMPILING and RENDERING via linux because of its better power.

It has the ability, but unfortunately we open source coders aren't enough to make a completely-seamless multimedia software-set.

Mar 11, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #19 of 23
and you open source coders make me happy
tongue.gif

do you have any idea why the Audiophile 192 would be having such problems, and what was that about foobar in linux?

Mar 11, 2005 at 10:00 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by twodeko
haha sorry, had a chuckle there with my statement and how off it was from what you said
tongue.gif

did not mean for the understatement, but maybe if i picked one up we could figure out where the problem is. have you heard/read of the card working?

btw... i am dual booting

np with the understatement, I just wanted to clarify there
biggrin.gif

The card's too new, I haven't really seen any information on people trying to get it to work in linux. Basically, I don't even know if anyone's tried...

Again, the LAMIP project (along with the foobarclone UI) is the closest thing I've seen to foobar in linux... unless you use WINE, in which case you CAN get the win32 version of foobar working in linux. I tried it in SuSE (couldn't get it to work in Arch) and it worked fine... but was insanely slow. But SuSE is slow anyway; there's no telling how well it'll work on your system.

Mar 11, 2005 at 12:46 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Asmo: It doesn't have better capabilities in multimedia.

In fact, of all the three operating systems, the *nix base is the best for multimedia. But because it's a free operating system nobody takes advantage of it.

For example, to render all of the Finding Nemo images, they would create the graphics and animation with a Mac OS X but then do the actual COMPILING and RENDERING via linux because of its better power.

It has the ability, but unfortunately we open source coders aren't enough to make a completely-seamless multimedia software-set.

Yes I know whats it is capable of, but for a desktop platform too many companies ignore it unfortunately to be useful in many situations, I would not sacrifice sound quality for a OS in this example here, I use the word vastly simply to trigger some responses hehe. I am a huge Debian fan myself I use it alot at work and at home, but again I would never drop a better sounding peice of hardware just so I could run linux.

Mar 13, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #22 of 23
the RME 96/8 PAD works perfectly in linux..of course it's a bit more expensive than the emu 1212.

with regards to the garbage you get outputted with the audiophile 192, your output settings might be wrong. Use a good mixer, such as gamix and tweak all the settings (most mixers won't show a majority of the settings you can change)

Mar 13, 2005 at 10:44 AM Post #23 of 23
aman: rendering 3D graphics has nothing to do with multimedia. It's pure raw CPU power, it's about as close to pure number crunching power as practical applications get. So you need to crunch a whole bunch of big numbers, and nothing else, reliably and on the smallest possible budget? Hard to imagine a better fit for Linux. Render farms don't have to display any graphics (or anything at all) or play any sound. Hard to see how that fits into 'multimedia'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back