EMU1212M, alsa?
Mar 5, 2005 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

twodeko

100+ Head-Fier
Hey head-fi'ers... got gentoo linux running here and would love to hear if anyone got simple sound working with their 1212M's.

I haven't heard anything good, but the alsa drivers are installed and i can't seem to figure out what to do
eek.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by twodeko
Hey head-fi'ers... got gentoo linux running here and would love to hear if anyone got simple sound working with their 1212M's.

I haven't heard anything good, but the alsa drivers are installed and i can't seem to figure out what to do
eek.gif

No support as far as I know. You'd probably have more luck with the OSS drivers (which are free for personal use now).

Mar 5, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #3 of 23
EMU cards dont work in Linux.
frown.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 7:49 AM Post #6 of 23
a buddy of mine mentioned something about patching the audigy drivers and getting simple playback from the card. is this true?

Mar 5, 2005 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Alternatives for Linux are the M-Audio lineup - the Audiophile 24/96 is especially a good price-performance choice
wink.gif

Agreed, although I think the Audiophile 192 would be closer to the 1212M sound-wise. I haven't gotten it to work in Linux yet, however; it only outputs garbage when I play sound. So the 2496 might be a safer bet. The Echo Mia is another card that's supposed to work in Linux.

I couldn't find any info on getting E-mu cards to work in linux. It's doubtful.

Mar 10, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #8 of 23
Looks like the EMU might go up for sale soon
frown.gif

This lack of support is a joke and I might as well get an Audiophile 192 or 2496... although i am not so sure what is all supported.

Any recommendations?

Plus what is a good foobar replacement for linux, quality is a must
tongue.gif

Mar 10, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Looks like the EMU might go up for sale soon
frown.gif

This lack of support is a joke and I might as well get an Audiophile 192 or 2496... although i am not so sure what is all supported.

Any recommendations?

Plus what is a good foobar replacement for linux, quality is a must
tongue.gif

WinXP
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #10 of 23
not really what i was getting at.

heh, pretty frustrated with this 1212M... any advice

Mar 11, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

not really what i was getting at.

heh, pretty frustrated with this 1212M... any advice

The purpose of the smilies to indicate that I was making a tongue in cheek remark
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #12 of 23
First off, I'd really, REALLY recommend dual-booting linux and windows. As much as I enjoy working in linux the audio support just isn't there yet. There is no real foorbar replacement in linux, although AmaroK, JuK, and Rhythmbox each come somewhat close in their own ways. Until the LAMIP project gets further along you'll just have to wait.

Now, as far as audio cards are concerned: I took the chance and got an Audiophile 192 (ice1724). It sounds absolutely wonderful, but it produces extremely wierd, garbled output in linux under Alsa. Haven't tried OSS yet. There's probably some way I can get it working in Alsa, but I really don't have the experience in linux to figure that out easily. So basically, I can tell you that the AP192 *should* work in linux... somehow. But I can't guarantee anything.

The safest cards you could get below that are the AP2496 (ice1712) and Echo MiaMidi, (the latter I'd assume to be the better card) but there's a significant difference in sound quality here. These two cards won't match up quality-wise to the 1212M, although I don't think it's quite as far off as most people on this board would lead you to believe (that's just because I didn't like the 0404).

I hope this information helps. Good luck to you.

Mar 11, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #13 of 23
heh i get the sarcasm now... been a long week and i am about ready for spring break here
tongue.gif

i saw your post about the m-audio 192 but that is a shame it is not sounding terribly fantastic in linux, but at least it has support!

id like a card that worked well though, have a nice music collection and would love a good player that would support a nice soundcard and replicate music as well as windows has seemed to do.

the card is on sale btw, can be seen here

Mar 11, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

i saw your post about the m-audio 192 but that is a shame it is not sounding terribly fantastic in linux, but at least it has support!

That's a gross understatement. By "garbled output" I mean really, REALLY ****ed up. Not "it works, but it sounds crappy". So basically I doubt I have the card set up properly, but it's nice to know that I can get SOME output... just to know that it is recognized.

Mar 11, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #15 of 23
haha sorry, had a chuckle there with my statement and how off it was from what you said
tongue.gif

did not mean for the understatement, but maybe if i picked one up we could figure out where the problem is. have you heard/read of the card working?

btw... i am dual booting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back