EMU 1212M gives Lynx Two a run for its money
Mar 27, 2004 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

amol

500+ Head-Fier
http://www.fixup.net/products/benchmarks/1212m2448.htm

check these benchmarks out. Holy crap. Quite amazing ..and just for 200$ i wish i had bought this card instead of my Revo
frown.gif

Mar 27, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 58
yeah somebody has to buy it and try it and report back
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 7:43 AM Post #6 of 58
Quote:

I have one on order

I would really appreciate your impressions of it when it arrives.

I am seriously considering getting one of these, but all I can find are the (generally favourable) impressions of people using it for recording. Also Xin seems to rate it quite highly on fixup.net and I would imagine his opinion is worth listening too.

But some more opinions from "audiophiles" would be great.

Mar 30, 2004 at 12:29 PM Post #8 of 58
I see no serious clock generator, just crystal in typical Pierce configuration and on top of that I see only one, so it implies that its DSP can deal just with 48, 96, 192? kHz.. thats not that bad if you consider resampling to 192kHz in foobar.. however, I believe it uses some higher end AKM DACs (AK4394?) but I really doubt it uses any serious opamps.. probably something from JRC as usuall.. 4580, 5532 and such.. also I bet they havent do anything special regarding power conditioning, just common noisy 5V regulators for converters and for opamps +/-12V directly from the motherboard.. yuck!

Mar 30, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by Glassman
I see no serious clock generator, just crystal in typical Pierce configuration and on top of that I see only one, so it implies that its DSP can deal just with 48, 96, 192? kHz.. thats not that bad if you consider resampling to 192kHz in foobar.. however, I believe it uses some higher end AKM DACs (AK4394?) but I really doubt it uses any serious opamps.. probably something from JRC as usuall.. 4580, 5532 and such.. also I bet they havent do anything special regarding power conditioning, just common noisy 5V regulators for converters and for opamps +/-12V directly from the motherboard.. yuck!

Exactly, how special could it be?

Mar 30, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #10 of 58
This may be partially off-topic, but IIRC several people have quoted the LynxTWO as too transparent/detailed/etc, so as to reduce the Musicality aspect of said card. I'm not sure about this, to each his own, but just something to think about.

To be honest, I want to try a LynxTWO someday, just to see what it sounds like. But unless you have supremely recorded music it might not sound good. After all this card's made for recording, not playback.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #11 of 58
Quote:

Here are some photos of 1212M.

1212m1.jpg

1212m2.jpg

[Edited] Delete unnecessary sentence.

Mar 31, 2004 at 1:02 AM Post #12 of 58
The stock opamp on this cardi s the JRC (NJM) 2068. I am not sure whether it is better than the one on the RME, the 4580, which has a much higher slew rate (read: faster), but not as good of a power supply noise rejection figure. The lack of precision clocks on this card means that it is likely to have much higher jitter than the RME, DAL, or Lynx cards it aims to "give a run for their money." DAC chip has very good stats.

Mar 31, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #13 of 58
Quote:

I see no serious clock generator, just crystal in typical Pierce configuration and on top of that I see only one, so it implies that its DSP can deal just with 48, 96, 192? kHz..

Glassman, you have a weird misconception about how clocks work. (I've noticed you make similar comments in a number of threads.) You only need one clock to handle all reasonable sample rates (44.1, 48, etc.).

This is a pro card and it almost certainly can handle 44.1 kHz audio without resampling.

Mar 31, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
The lack of precision clocks on this card means that it is likely to have much higher jitter than the RME, DAL, or Lynx cards it aims to "give a run for their money." DAC chip has very good stats.

Mind I ask how you come across this statement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back