emu 0404 with k701+heed?
Jul 8, 2007 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

XENOPHOS

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of getting the emu0404 for my k701 heed combo, but is there another dac I should be looking in to? I'll be using my computer so i'll need a usb out most likely. Would the 0404 be a warm enough source for the k701 or should I be looking for something else or will it be fine. thanks

Jul 9, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 43
I realize this dac/amp is very new. How's the headphone amp in it? I've head the dac is very good, but little about the quality of the headphone amp. Would it behoove me to use a separate headphone amp such as a Corda HA-1 Version 1, or should I just sell the Corda, keep things simple, and just use the emu0404 directly to my Senn HD600's?

Michael

Jul 9, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 43
I have the exactly same setup before: EMU0404 PCI -> Heed -> K701. Overall i would say it is just so-so. The stock 0404 has rather narrow soundstage and bright treble.

Seriously, the ZL is much better imho.

Jul 9, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 43
Xenophos..........are you referring to the 0404 PCI or the 0404 USB? While the newest versions of the PCI card have been upgraded to the same DAC chip that is in the USB, I don't know how the rest of the analog output circuitry compares. I can say that the 0404 USB didn't drive K601's particularly well.......so I sold the K601's and kept the 0404 USB.

Wacomme........if you expect massive bass and extremely high listening levels, the 0404 USB headamp will likely not get you all the way there.

This is not particularly scientific, but on some material recorded at a moderate level, I felt that the volume in HD600's with the headphone volume knob maxed was equal to that out of either a maxed desktop PIMETA or CK2III with the volume knob at no more than 1:30 or so, and both of those seem to have gain in the range more typical of non-portable headamps. Either of those provided more solid bass overall and clearer top end, too.

Remember, the 0404 USB is powered by only a 5VDC supply. There must be some sort of voltage multiplier in there, because I have measured its output into some old phones at a max of 2.1Vrms (and that implies the voltage rails to the headamp opamp must be about 7VDC apart or so, if the chip runs rail-to-rail.) With my HD280's, I'd say the internal headamp achieves the same volume with a knob setting of 2 o'clock as with the knob maxed out into HD600's.........and to me, that sort of verifies its voltage limitations into high impedance or low sensitivity cans.

If you need to run the Corda at a relatively high volume setting, you probably would not be happy with the internal amp in the 0404 USB.

yrh1043 probably meant the Zhaolu when he typed "ZL".

Jul 10, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Xenophos..........are you referring to the 0404 PCI or the 0404 USB? While the newest versions of the PCI card have been upgraded to the same DAC chip that is in the USB, I don't know how the rest of the analog output circuitry compares. I can say that the 0404 USB didn't drive K601's particularly well.......so I sold the K601's and kept the 0404 USB.

Wacomme........if you expect massive bass and extremely high listening levels, the 0404 USB headamp will likely not get you all the way there.

This is not particularly scientific, but on some material recorded at a moderate level, I felt that the volume in HD600's with the headphone volume knob maxed was equal to that out of either a maxed desktop PIMETA or CK2III with the volume knob at no more than 1:30 or so, and both of those seem to have gain in the range more typical of non-portable headamps. Either of those provided more solid bass overall and clearer top end, too.

Remember, the 0404 USB is powered by only a 5VDC supply. There must be some sort of voltage multiplier in there, because I have measured its output into some old phones at a max of 2.1Vrms (and that implies the voltage rails to the headamp opamp must be about 7VDC apart or so, if the chip runs rail-to-rail.) With my HD280's, I'd say the internal headamp achieves the same volume with a knob setting of 2 o'clock as with the knob maxed out into HD600's.........and to me, that sort of verifies its voltage limitations into high impedance or low sensitivity cans.

If you need to run the Corda at a relatively high volume setting, you probably would not be happy with the internal amp in the 0404 USB.

yrh1043 probably meant the Zhaolu when he typed "ZL".

Wow! Quite the response. Thank you for the details.

In your opinion, how does the 0404USB compare as dac only? In other words, how's its performance paired with the Corda headamp via RCA interconnects?

Michael

Jul 10, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #9 of 43
All in all, I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive, but high bang for the buck, dac to connect to my Mac (G5) and run my Senn HD600's with ZU mobius cables. I also have a Corda HA-I ver. 1 headphone amp and nice interconnects if that matters.

I presume a USB would be best, but I'm open to other options too.

Currently I'm looking at the 0404USB unit.

Jul 10, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #10 of 43
yea, i've read that the dac in the 0404 is on par with most others in the <$300 range. I'm only looking for a dac so the amp in it isn't a significant feature for me. is this the best option?

Jul 10, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #11 of 43
I've been doing more reading. Which would be the better system.

1) G5 Mac computer to EMU 0404USB to HD600

2) G5 Mac to EMU 0404USB to Corda HA-1 ver. 1 headamp to HD600

3) G5 Mac to Airport Express to toslink to Birdland Odeon-lite DAC to Corda HA-1 to HD600.

How much better is the Birdland Odeon-lite dac and Corda headamp compared to the 0404 USB?

Michael

Jul 10, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by wacomme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! Quite the response. Thank you for the details.

In your opinion, how does the 0404USB compare as dac only? In other words, how's its performance paired with the Corda headamp via RCA interconnects?

Michael

Quite welcome, Michael!

I have no idea, I only heard a Corda once at a meet, maybe, if ever, and I think it was a newer amp than yours.

The only headamps that I have ever owned are a GoVibe V4 (still around), Millett (departed), desktop PIMETA (still around), and a CK2III (my favorite.) I guess I do have the headphone jack in an Onkyo HT receiver available, too, but it's never used.

I actually sold the Millett before going computer-based, when I discovered that the preamp outputs of my Musical Fidelity CDPre24 could drive HD600's as well as the Millett and with greater clarity and more solid/extended bass.

My listening tends to focus on acoustic music essentially recorded "live"--orchestras of various sizes, wind ensembles, some that tends more toward folkish, etc. Those tend to be much smoother on top than multi-miked, highly mixed/processed studio recordings. As a result, I like the typical AKM DAC sound, which some folks find to be overly analytical/edgy on everyday rock/pop.

A dealer in Chicago tried to get me to buy an Odeon he'd taken in trade a few years ago.......but it seems all the initial hooplah died out over that one in short order. Don't see much about that compared to the Benchmark, Lavry, Apogee and others these days, right? Never heard it via cans, only on a high end Von Schweikert speaker rig.......in a storefront on a busy street on the north side of Chicago. In other words, maybe about as bad an environment as trying to listen to HD600's at low-to-moderate volume at a drunken party. I think you see why I didn't buy?
biggrin.gif

As for interconnects, I will admit that I am pretty much a non-believer. If there is a significant difference between interconnects, one is actually not "good" but simply what it should be, and the other is lousy/defective in some way. Make your own for the 0404 USB by using Neutrik NYS224G 1/4" TS plugs, Neutrik NYS352G RCA's ($4.50 for all 4 connectors required) and Mogami 2549 mic cable made from OFC copper (64 cents per ft) or Canare StarQuad (48 cents per ft)......then sit back, enjoy, and buy more music with what you save compared to costly interconnects. Your music has already traveled through hundreds of feet of that very same cable in the recording process and has escaped (presumably?) unscathed. IMHO, a few feet of "miracle cable" can't undo any negative effects, that just is not logical.

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #13 of 43
my price range is now in the $200 range so could someone tell me how the soundstage is with these or how good the dac is. that would be great because i'm planning on picking one up later today.
so could you reply as soon as possible
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back