EMU 0404 vs Macbook Pro
Sep 23, 2006 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Venro

Head-Fier
I'm upgrading from my PC to a Macbook Pro. That also means I'm going to be going from my 0404 to whatever sound chip the Macbook Pro uses.

My question is, will there be a noticeable step down in quality or not? I'm using a HD650 + Headsave amp.

Sep 24, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 7
As an owner of a Macbook Pro, a desktop with an EMU-0404, and a pair of HD-650s, I can tell you that as far as sound quality is concerned, it is not an upgrade.

I use my HD-650 through a DIY-ed dynalo.

For one, the MBP's output distorts quite a lot if you set the volume to maximum, so if i use the MBP, I'll set the volume to half.
The MBP's output is rather bright in comparison to the EMU-0404, which ironically, balances out the sennheiser laid back sound.
However, it is less detailed than the EMU.....

If you can, get the MBP and keep the EMU as well :p
(Though the MBP's an excellent desktop replacement in most other aspects..)

Sep 24, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 7
The optical out on the macbook pro is bit perfect, and works just fine to feed an external dac. In terms of listening to music, if you have a dac, the mbp soundcard is great.

Nov 14, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 7
I'm kind of in the same market here:

How would a MacBook (my PowerBook G4 is going on 3 years, which in computer years makes it about 40), $2-300 DAC, and ~$2-300 tube amp w/ an RS1 compare to a 5g iPod to ALO to CMOY to RS1?

Everyone says source, source, source, and I want to get the most out of an RS1 (on a budget). Also, I have much more music on my computer than I have in CDs so it makes the most sense to go computer as source -unless- it won't do an RS1 justice.

Thank you

Nov 14, 2006 at 9:19 AM Post #5 of 7
As said above, the Macbook has optical out, so the quality is dependent on the DAC and amp, not the Macbook. I use my Macbook as the main source in my stereo and video system. It works great.

See ya
Steve

Nov 15, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #6 of 7
Steve, what DAC do you use? I currently have the headphone-out hooked up to a HeadFive, but would like to add a DAC to the chain. Portability is not a need; the DAC and amp will stay at home on my desk.

Any recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back