EMU 0404 USB - really the best?
Jan 31, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #76 of 265
Don't know if it's still running, but there was a rebate applied to my recent order from music123. I got the 0404 usb for $124.99 shipped. It's priced $149.99 on the website but when you check out they applied a $25 credit. Shipping was still free and it was pretty darn fast too.

Jan 31, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #77 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's interesting to note that you feel the 0404 USB imparts its own sound signature, because I (and possibly sejarzo) feel the same way. In my system, it sounds like a resolving DAC, but there seems to be a lower treble brightness and/or a midrange veil, and in general, the frequency response seems slightly skewed toward the high end. A few frequencies in particular have really jabbed my ear like an icepick, which surprised me. Basically, I've found it to be somewhat unforgiving of sibilance in a recording. It has also struck me as fairly aggressive-sounding, and certainly not "warm." This has been my experience with devices containing other AKM DACs as well.

I still don't see how two devices with flat frequency responses can sound different. The EMU0404's headphone amp is only capable of 20mw with a 22ohm output, so maybe that has something to do with it. Or maybe it's all in my head...
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #78 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiesty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't decide between an 0404pci or an x-fi. I'll use it for gaming and music, BUT the gaming is only SPDIF in from a ps3. I don't play any actual PC games. I'm just not sure if the 0404 will translate the positional audio from the optical as well as a true gaming card.

The 0404 PCI is a two-channel card, while the X-Fi cards are multi-channel. If you were referring to EAX, only computer games support it; PS3 games won't be affected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WallyWest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know if it's still running, but there was a rebate applied to my recent order from music123. I got the 0404 usb for $124.99 shipped. It's priced $149.99 on the website but when you check out they applied a $25 credit. Shipping was still free and it was pretty darn fast too.

That's a pretty incredible deal, indeed!

Jan 31, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #79 of 265
I have an independent confirmation of the "shrillness" of the EMU0404, without my prompting. (K701's, level-matched within a decibel) I feel fairly confident in saying these devices sound different.

Jan 31, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #80 of 265
Jan 31, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #81 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by riverlethe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still don't see how two devices with flat frequency responses can sound different. The EMU0404's headphone amp is only capable of 20mw with a 22ohm output, so maybe that has something to do with it. Or maybe it's all in my head...
wink.gif

In the audio world, there are some things that measurements can't reveal. Playing music accurately is partially about timing, and this is one area where a frequency response measurement is inadequate. It's the same way with amplifiers: many measure flat and have extremely low THD, yet they still have different sound signatures.

But you're right, the headphone section of the DAC1 is probably much better than the one in the 0404 USB, and this will affect your perception of the DACs. A better test would be to send both devices' line outputs to the same headphone amplifier.

Jan 31, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #83 of 265
Quote:

In the audio world, there are some things that measurements can't reveal. Playing music accurately is partially about timing, and this is one area where a frequency response measurement is inadequate. It's the same way with amplifiers: many measure flat and have extremely low THD, yet they still have different sound signatures.

But you're right, the headphone section of the DAC1 is probably much better than the one in the 0404 USB, and this will affect your perception of the DACs. A better test would be to send both devices' line outputs to the same headphone amplifier.

Doesn't the DAC1 also have superior line outputs?
tongue.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #86 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does the dac section compare to a alienDAC?

and the amp to a soha or cmoy or anything?

Much better than the Alien DAC. The headphone section is probably not as good as a well-designed DIY amp, especially if you have hard-to-drive headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverlethe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't the DAC1 also have superior line outputs?
tongue.gif

Well yeah, technically the DAC1 should be superior in every way (after all, it's 10 times more expensive).
tongue.gif

But the point of a line output is a purer signal, because it hasn't passed through the internal headphone amplification section. I've heard reports from headphone users that while the 0404 USB's headphone section isn't so bad given the price of the unit, it doesn't reveal the true performance of the DAC, while many DAC1 users seem to feel that its internal headphone amplifier is good enough for most headphones.

Even with both units' line outputs connected to an external headphone amplifier, I'd expect the DAC1 to sound better to most people, but you might be surprised at the improvement from the 0404 USB.

Jan 31, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #87 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herr Kaufmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif

um... is free shipping valid only for US or...? I'm from Europe...

Just phoned them up they don't. Im from the UK and the cheapest i can find it is £130 which is like $260. ********* rediculous.
mad.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #88 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nylus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just phoned them up they don't. Im from the UK and the cheapest i can find it is £130 which is like $260. ********* rediculous.
mad.gif

Time to move to the U.S., or better yet, Hong Kong.
wink.gif

The pricing of foreign goods in the U.K. is pretty ridiculous... Just take the retail amount in USD and put a GBP symbol in front of it, because the dollar and the pound are equivalent currencies, right?
rolleyes.gif

Is it the same price in other European countries?

Jan 31, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #89 of 265
The headphone amp section of the EMU0404 is overrated. While it can sufficiently drive high-impedance headphones, it's definitely no match for most sub-$200 dedicated headphone amps out there. It's too muddy, lacks impact and details. The Main Out of the 0404, however, is much better.

Jan 31, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #90 of 265
Quote:

Time to move to the U.S., or better yet, Hong Kong.
wink.gif

The pricing of foreign goods in the U.K. is pretty ridiculous... Just take the retail amount in USD and put a GBP symbol in front of it, because the dollar and the pound are equivalent currencies, right?
rolleyes.gif

Is it the same price in other European countries?

Not just the UK, in Canada retail prices are pretty bad too, and we're right beside you people.
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back