EMU 0404 USB not working with ASIO on winamp?
Jan 3, 2008 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Brian loves music

100+ Head-Fier
Hiya,

Just got my new emu 0404 usb in the mail!!! I plan using winamp 5.5 on my laptop with ASIO as the output. However, when I go to Winamp Preferences and looks at Output (under plugins) and select 'ASIO output (dll version) v.0.67.SSE2 [out_asio(dll).dll' I can't get anything to play. It works with the outout plugin 'Nullsoft Direct Sound Output v2.47 (d) [out_ds.dll]'. I defintely wanna bypass my crappy laptop sound card and was told to do this with asio. Any ideas?

Also, anyone know whether it's benificial to check out newer drivers for the emu online?

Jan 3, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 10
You aren't going through your existing soundcard if you use DirectSound, as long as you specify somewhere that you want Winamp to use the 0404 USB rather than the onboard sound.

I don't use Winamp, strictly Foobar and WMP (for the few DRM-protected files I need to play)......but somewhere Winamp has to give you the opportunity to specify the actual device, and not just the output method, correct? Within Foobar, one first selects the output method (default WaveOut, DirectSound, DirectSound 2.0, Kernel Streaming, or ASIO in my set-up) and then selects the device to be driven by that method.

And yes, I would at least check to see that the E-MU drivers that you installed from the CD are the same as the latest version on the E-MU site.

Jan 3, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 10
problem fixed..i'm a newb just had to double click on the asio thing...i'll check for updates now

i'm getting some slight poping, scratchy sounds every once in a while..some seem to be tied to the audio file and some not...i'll check out other threads cause i know this has been addressed

thanks peeps

Jan 3, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 10
lets hope you havent installed vista. Its only been 2 years they are been 'working' on a vista driver. So far they managed to create a beta driver a couple of months ago which 'expires' soon.

If you can ever go through the optical or coaxial so you can bypass having to use EMU drivers, i would highly recommend doing so.

Jan 4, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 10
I'd say that the USB problems are very system-dependent. I only notice a bit of crackling if there is a very large amount of USB bandwidth being consumed--transferring large FLAC's from an internal drive to an external while listening, for instance.

Jan 4, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 10
yeah you had to specify the output device by clicking configure button of ASIO plugin

also, just to clarify ASIO bypasses windows kmixer, not the onboard sound card. you bypass onboard when you started using the 0404

try playing around with buffering if you get cracks/pops. but yeah if you're using Vista then that's another issue altogether...

Jan 4, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #7 of 10
thanks for the replies, i think i might start a nrew thread about this...it works great when i'm not surfing the web, using my processor, moving files...but when i am i get static (like my comp is strugglying to get the file info to the emu), usually at first a couple of cracks and then mostly just static for like 25 seconds...any suggestions...looks like i just need to get a setup that's easier to run (hopefully software not hardware

maybe use foobar?
maybe kernal streaming?

hmm maybe i dont have usb 2.0 but i'm pretty sure i checked and all dell inspirion 6000 have them...thoughts?

THANKS

also what should i set me 'sample rate' at in the emu control pannel?
in the asio options (in winamp) i'm using a buffer size of 17, time critical thread priority, converting 1 chan to 2 chan, Resampling i not slected (thread priority = highest, sample rate 88200 HZ, and qaulity on high)

Jan 4, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #8 of 10
well after doing some control+alt+delete it looks like winamp gives me an average cpu usage of 40% while foobar gives me 30% (this is with some things in the background)...

With foobar and the lower usage, surfing the web gives me less crackles/static (usualy just a little right before the page finishes loading). Still anoying and i hope to work it out tomorrow. I'm not sure if i got asio to work in foobar...i'll check out the other threads to look how to custimize it. If someone could link me to a bunch of downloadable foobar schemes that would be great.

More importantly, would kernal streming or asio be better for foobar in my sitation, that is, which one would give me less cpu usage so less static

Thanks everyone for putting up with my infinite sums of nubism

Jan 4, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #9 of 10
I don't know if there would be any difference between KS and ASIO in your situation.....I am definitely no expert when it comes to OS or USB system issues, but I'd bet the problem is that something in your system configuration has resulted in USB transfers having a lower priority than is required for glitch-free audio.

Recordists often disable all networking and antivirus when using USB recording devices to ensure that they don't run into problems during a session. I run my 0404 USB on a Compaq desktop or a Compaq notebook, neither one a state-of-the-art machine, and haven't had any audio problems except in rare cases.

I use Foobar 0.8.3 because the 0.9.x versions seem to lose ASIO configuration data--other users also complain of the same bug. IN 0.8.3, I have ASIO configured as:

Device = "ASIO E-MU 0404 | USB";
Thread priority = Highest;
Buffer size (0-63) = 15;
Shift output channels = 0;
Use Direct input monitor = unchecked.

I didn't notice any difference between setting the thread priority to "time critical" or increasing the buffer size above 15. (The only reason you need to shift output channels is to use the 0404 USB as an S/PDIF transport to another DAC via its digital outputs; in that case you set the shift value to 2.)

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #10 of 10
I don't think it has anything to do with priority settings i had similar problem some time ago.
Some software is was using messed something up i dont know what and the system generated way too many interrupt requests. It had freezes everytime i had network traffik or more processes to be oppened.
You can check this with process explorer but i have found no other way bur reinstalling the operating system.
If winamp takes 40% cpu time than the irq take the rest but they dont show in task manager

Users who are viewing this thread

Back