Emu 0404 USB + Foobar configuration?
Mar 3, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #31 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyotousa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought KS doesn't work on USB card?
how did you get it to work?......is it an actual improvement or just louder
tongue.gif

Sorry, should of mentioned my setup, which was my lappy's Optical Out to 0404's Optical In. Using optical vs usb, i feel USB lacks the power the optical provides. Definitely not just "louder", i tune my all my music down to a softer level using Foobar.

Mar 3, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #32 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, should of mentioned my setup, which was my lappy's Optical Out to 0404's Optical In. Using optical vs usb, i feel USB lacks the power the optical provides. Definitely not just "louder", i tune my all my music down to a softer level using Foobar.

This is very confusing.......what do you mean by "power"?

The USB interface is undeniably superior to any S/PDIF or TOSLINK interface because it takes the embedded clock out of the data stream. Unless you have some device that is interfering with the bus that causes latency problems when using the E-MU driver--and that would present itself as pops, clicks, or dropouts--the USB transfer is superior.

And why would you turn down the level in Foobar? It can't do anything positive--as far as I have been able to determine, doing so involves manipulation of the audio data.

Mar 3, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use KernelStreaming in Foobar. Sound is definitely an improvement over both DS and ASIO.

Thanks for clarifying your setup--which doesn't involve the E-MU driver at all, because using KS in Foobar and the USB driver is a prescription for trouble. It works for a while, then stops working properly, or will only play one cut at a time.

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #34 of 34
is it worth updating the asio component? I'm still running foobar2000 version 0.9.4.2 and asio 1.2.5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back