EMU-0404/Rega Ear/Which Headphones?
Dec 3, 2004 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

csmager

New Head-Fier
Hi,

First post, and yes - I'm relatively new to this. After lurking around for a while, I think I'm about to purchase the following:

EMU-0404
Rega Ear Amp

Firstly - any opinions on the combo? From what I've read so far, it should sound good - with some decent headphones.

I was thinking of buying the Sennheiser HD580... but I've had a look on a site, and the HD600s are *exactly* the same price - so which should I pick?

I'm also going to needs some interconnects - can anyone recommend any? I don't want to spend a huge amount on the I/Cs, but I don't want them to affect performance & quality drastically!

Thanks in advance...

Dec 3, 2004 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 17
Personally I think the Headsave Classic is a much better amp than the Rega Ear, but if you are hell bent on the Rega then I would get the 580's since the Rega Ear was designed around them.

Dec 3, 2004 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 17
Where are you? I got some spare budget ICs that I'd be happy to give you. They're quite neutral and polite - should go well with the 0404 / Senns.

Dec 3, 2004 at 4:41 PM Post #4 of 17
If the 600s are the same price, either a) you've found a rediculously cheap price for them, or b) you're looking at a very expensive site for 580s. Can you tell us the prices displayed?

Dec 4, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 17
Looking again, I can't find those prices.... I'm thinking

a. I was dreaming.
b. The website in question made a mistake and have subsequently ammended it.

I live in the UK, so I'm probably not too near to anyone.... I'm not hell bent on the Rega, it was merely a suggestion. It may be a pain to get a Headsave Classic over here, but I had read it was regarded as being better by some...

I listened to the HD650s in the Apple store in Regent Street, London... the sound was incredible, even if it was unamped....

So... back to reality again.... (I don't think I can either afford or justify the HD650s)... is there any really huge advantage of the HD600s over the HD580s? And if I was to buy the Rega, would I be advised to get the 580s anyway?

Thanks for the help so far.

Dec 4, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 17
Hi,

I have the Rega Ear and I must say I am really impressed with the sound quality from this little unit. I would definitely recommend the 650's, but if they are way over your budget, go with the 580s. You may want to consider however that if you get the 580's, you may well get upgrade-itis and want to buy the 650's eventually anyway, so it may ultimately be cheaper just to go for the top of the range 650's
biggrin.gif

Anyway, whichever way you decide to go, welcome to head-fi from a fellow uk member.

Dec 6, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #8 of 17
Thanks for all the replies. 1UP - you have mail(!)

So, I'm sorted for 'phones - it's whichever I can afford from 580-->650. (It's likely to be 580 though!).

As for the amp - is the Rega a safe bet? Is there anything else in the price range I should be looking at (apart from the Headsave)?

Dec 8, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 17
The Rega Ear coupled with hd-580 is great. 0404 is a good enough source even though this combo (I own a Rega Ear, Hd580 and 0404) will be a bit bass shy. Luckily the 0404 has a great dsp for boosting it. But I don't really like the 0404s treble thats why I'm using an external receiver as a DAC.

So..Yeah, a Rega Ear with 580/600 (prolly the 650 also) will sound great and your only limitation will be the 0404. But you can always upgrade it by getting an external DAC.

You'll probably be happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2004 at 10:12 AM Post #10 of 17
I have no problems with treble or bass with a Headsave Classic (also using an 0404), yet I did find the Rega Ear to have a harsh top end...

Personally I disagree that the 0404 is a bottleneck.

Dec 9, 2004 at 10:45 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
I have no problems with treble or bass with a Headsave Classic (also using an 0404), yet I did find the Rega Ear to have a harsh top end...

The 0404 sounds worse than my kennwood even if I drop the Rega out of the equation.

Lets sum it up: 0404 has way better snr and is more precise. But it doesn't sound as "realistic" than my el-cheapo receiver. Everytime I switch to the 0404 I'm first pleasently surprised by its quality but when I switch back to Kenwood it just sounds better to my ears. Lots of potential on the 0404 but something is holding it back and making it sound "synthetic". Maybe I should try modding it? I guess a great dac isn't enough.

But maybe my ears are just different? I didn't even like the Oehlbach replacement cable. Way too smooth.

But I'm not dissing 0404 in any way. A great card for the price.

Did you try the Rega and Classic using the same sources?

Dec 9, 2004 at 11:29 AM Post #12 of 17
I don't know how your Kenwood sounds, nor what music you listen to, nor what you mean by realistic, but I'd find it hard to pin the blame on the 0404, as I think it's quality, and does a real good job with acoustic music. Perhaps you should mod it.

Dec 9, 2004 at 12:05 PM Post #13 of 17
I second 1UP. In fact since I've had the 0404 I have actually found real music (i.e. not the dance music I normally listen to) to sound much more realistic through headphones than it ever has before. I dont think it sounds synthetic at all.... anyway I'm sure we've had this conversation before - my mate has that receiver, and frankly, I am not impressed... so horses for courses.

Dec 9, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #14 of 17
Im planning on upgrading my Chaintech Av710 to the emu0404 soon. This sounds promising.

How about looking at the White Noise Audio amp? I just built one and I am very impressed. Definately better than my ra-1 clone with HD600s. I believe PinkFloyd has one for sale in the Amps for Sale forum for around the same price as the Rega. Or you can buy the amp from WNA in kit or full form.

Also, how about looking for 2nd hand HD580s or HD600s. Theres always senns for sale here and they're usually in decent condition and you'll save some money.

Dec 9, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #15 of 17
I've had a look around, and despite the fact pbirkett seems to be in every single thread championing it, the Headsave Classic does seem to be fairly respected and has quite a few people reckoning it's pretty good.

I'm also tempted by it because looking around, I can't really find anywhere in the UK that stock the Rega Ear. And (even including shipping) I think the Headsave would be cheaper!

I'm about to email Norm and asks what he suggests for the HD650s, and prices etc.

pbirkett - I suppose you've got the AD8620/10 op amps, as you have Senns? And what PSU would you recommend? I live in the UK as you do, so getting one from Norm would be a waste of time, as well as adding to shipping cost!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back