emu 0404 compares to other USB to spdif
Sep 20, 2010 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

xanadux

New Head-Fier
im thinking of get a emu 0404 usb to use it as an usb to spdif converter, connect it to my Aqvox DAC.  but as i know there are some sync tech usb to spdif converters (such as Halide bridge, etc.)
i know jitter is the main issue when connect computer to a DAC, compared the emu0404usb to other usb to spdif converters, what are the weaknesses? 
Thanks

Sep 21, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 3
the other problem is the drivers...the E-Mu will only bitmatch over ASIO, so whatever DS/KS/WASAPI will be resampled to the manually selectable masterclock sample rate within the drivers GUI.

Sep 21, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
a emu 0404 usb to use it as an usb to spdif converter, connect it to my Aqvox DAC.

Why? The E-MU & the Aqvox are almost identical in I/O faciities & published specification. They both both a S/N of 117dB for example. Which is good.

I'd rather have the E-MU personally because it offers slightly more comprehensive I/O, very similar performance (and any differences are probably inaudible at that level anyway). It also costs 25% the price of the Aqvox. Check them both out on teh magic google machine. Note how expensive the Aqvox kit is. They do $300 cables as well if you are determined to waste your cash.

Pro Am audio interfaces don't benefit from the USB S/PDIF voodoo anyway. That's just for old generation audiophile grade consumer kit fitted with obsolete DAC chips and lesser quality internal clocks. E-MU uses a AKM chip same as brand leaders like RME and MOTU. Aqvox uses Burr Brown PCM chips which were originally designed for use in cheap CD players.

Sell the Aqvox 2nd hand, get a new 0404 (or better still the newer Focusrite Saffire 6). Buy some new tunes with the difference.  Stop worrying about S/PDIF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back