EMU 0404 and GMAIL
Dec 29, 2010 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mgmz

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I'm on Snow Leopard (mac), and I have an issue with the EMU 0404: as soon as I log to Gmail (with diverse browsers), the sound output switches to internal speakers instead of the EMU 0404. I have to restard to be able to switch the sound output back to the EMU 0404. I have tried different kinds of drivers on the Creative website but none of them seems to solve the problem. I'm able to reproduce the issue with two different computers with Snow Leopard.

Has anyone heard of a similar issue? Does anyone know where could the problem come from? Do you think it is an hardware or software related problem? I'm not sure sending back the EMU 0404 for repair is worth the hassle as it looks like a software issue...

Thanks!

Dec 29, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 7
Go into system preferences / sound then click on the sound effects tab then click on the drop down menu where it says "Play sound effect through" and select the EMU 0404.
All sounds should then come through your EMU 0404.

Dec 29, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 7
Hello

Thanks so much for the quick answer! However, I tried what you told me, and the issue still persists when I log into Gmail (actually, I don't blame my 0404 for not playing sound effects, but I suppose you had other reasons to make me try this). To be more precise, the EMU is not recognized as soon as I log in Gmail and I have to restard my computer to make it work again.

EDIT:
It seems to work with Gmail in the HTML version. Quite strange.

Dec 29, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 7
Just tried myself and the same thing happened with my Beresford Dac. When I signed out of GMail it vanished from the sound prefs pane. Just disabled outbound voice calling and it didn't vanish when I signed out of GMail.

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #7 of 7
Hello,

I uninstalled Google Voice and Chat Plugin (you have to use the terminal), and now I can log into Gmail without any problem. The problem was not solved just by suppressing outbound call, but your suggestion led me to the right solution. Thanks everyone, and don't hesitate to share any (bad or good) experience with snow leopard / usb output device / Google Chat Plugin. I don't know if the problem is widespread or not and I'd like to know some more before posting on a Gmail forum.

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back