Emu 0404 alternative
Jul 31, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #31 of 44
Yes, there are differences between the chips. The increased headroom in the AK4396 is just one specification; better chips tend to have a higher SNR. The chip itself has other improvements and is a very different design from previous AKM chips, which is why it was dubbed the 'Miracle DAC.'

The Zhaolu D3, KECES DA-131, and Yulong DAH1 are in the $300 range along with a few others. Check the All the DACs list for more choices.
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #32 of 44
Just a few words to say about the 0404 USB, despite it uses the flagship class DAC from AKM, the components in post DAC circuity and the power section of it can only said to be mediocre at best, given that the Audiofire 2/4 beats it with just a AD/DA combined codec AK4620A, to get the real potential out from the AK4396 in 0404 USB, a massive upgrade for its power section (typically a dedicated DIY +5V power supply), and a major upgrade for its capacitors used(or perhaps together with the replacement of opamps as well) is unavoidable....

Jul 31, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by INGRAMLI /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...the Audiofire 2/4 beats it with just a AD/DA combined codec AK4620A...

Beats it in what way? Do you have RMAA measurements or other results?

Head-Fier amb has a RMAA results page (link) that includes the E-MU 0404 USB among other solutions.

Jul 31, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beats it in what way? Do you have RMAA measurements or other results?

Head-Fier amb has a RMAA results page (link) that includes the E-MU http://www.amb.org/rmaa/0404 USB among other solutions.

All i talk about is subjective with NO scientific fact to back it up, but the AF2 is much more enjoyable to my ear(plus it got a fantastic S/PDIF output after the analog circuit PCB removed for its price), you like the good looking figures, take it with you, but i won't bother with it
jecklinsmile.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #35 of 44
Well, yeah, it's true that gear with lower specifications might subjectively sound better, and the 0404 USB is not the best-sounding DAC I've ever heard. But unless kilgoretrout wants to buy a bunch of different interfaces and perform a shoot-out himself, specs are a fair starting point IMO.
happy_face1.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, yeah, it's true that gear with lower specifications might subjectively sound better, and the 0404 USB is not the best-sounding DAC I've ever heard. But unless kilgoretrout wants to buy a bunch of different interfaces and perform a shoot-out himself, specs are a fair starting point IMO.
happy_face1.gif

spec can be useful in some way(such as if u are working in the recording industry), but not as meaningful in others, having said that, kilgoretrout is looking for a gear for his own ear, not for professional purpose, therefore i would said try to get a chance for an audition rather than making decision base on the spec alone.
beerchug.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Just a few words to say about the 0404 USB, despite it uses the flagship class DAC from AKM, the components in post DAC circuity and the power section of it can only said to be mediocre at best, given that the Audiofire 2/4 beats it with just a AD/DA combined codec AK4620A, to get the real potential out from the AK4396 in 0404 USB, a massive upgrade for its power section (typically a dedicated DIY +5V power supply), and a major upgrade for its capacitors used(or perhaps together with the replacement of opamps as well) is unavoidable....

Did you do those mods to your 0404?

Jul 31, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you do those mods to your 0404?

i have NEVER owned a 0404, but i compared my AF2 with stock 0404 USB...

p.s. my friend told me the improvement was great with a dedicated power supply for the 0404 but i don't have a chance to try it yet
tongue.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #40 of 44
I found RMAA results on the Firewire 410 too.

Original link (Russian):
iXBT: M-Audio FireWire 410

Translated:
Translated version of http://www.ixbt.com/proaudio/m-audio-firewire-410.shtml

Quote:

The Emu does have a dedicated external AC adapter. Am I misunderstanding you?

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #41 of 44
Jul 31, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #42 of 44
Most receivers do have mediocre headphone outputs. High-impedance headphones (ex. higher-end Sennheisers like HD-580, HD-600, HD-650) tend to work the best with them. The other part is that many receivers don't offer an analog line output if you're using the receiver's DAC section, so they can't be used like standalone DACs.

The DAC section in the Onkyo may be pretty good, but the preamplifier, power amplifier, and headphone output will not be great, and since at least one of those will be in use at all times, the sound quality will suffer.

Jul 31, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #43 of 44
Aug 6, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #44 of 44
Fyi, I just bought myself an audiofire 4. I searched the head-fi forums on info first but I couldn't find much.
I read some very good stuff about it here though:
6 audio interfaces--an unscientific shootout of sorts - Gearslutz.com
I've been stuck with a chaintech av-710 for a long time now and my hd-555's were begging for better sound. I didn't want to stretch my budget for a proper stand alone dac with limited functionality. (as a student my wallet wouldn't allow it as well). I still want one though... and I can still connect one to my audiofire 4 if I want...

Pro's
Sound quality should be on par or perhaps better than 0404usb.
Firewire is almost always used on pro audio interfaces for pc and is supposed to be a more professional standard as usb.
I needed low latency and at least 4 outs for dj'ing.
Looks great too.
Very flexible device + drivers/device reported to be extremely stable.
Echo has a reputation making devices like this.
Similar m-audio interfaces seemed to have lower sound quality.

Cons
If you want to use it with your laptop without power supply you'll need a firewire expresscard unless you have a mac which already has a 6pin firewire port instead of a 4pin one which doesn't transmit power.
I've heard preamps could be better but they aren't very important for my use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back