EMP enough juice for the K340?
Jul 14, 2008 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Number9

100+ Head-Fier
I guess I was spoiled and didn't know it when I owned probably the ultimate combo: a Wheatfield HA-2 to power my K340s. That was then ...

Looking for a new headphone amp now because my new preamp has no headphone jack.

Would the Earxmax Pro have enough juice to power my AKG K340s properly?

I've tried various amps with my K340s over the years, and no question, they wake up and come to life when there is power to push them. When underpowered, they sound meek and shut-in. Thanks for the help.

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 25
My RSA Raptor drives my K340s very well. The overall sound is warm and transparent with no fatigue. The Raptor is very powerful and it gets very loud at the 11-12 o'clock volume setting. The Raptor seems to drive the 340 effortlessly.

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 25
I saw a pic of your Raptor. That's big and serious. I can imagine.
eek.gif

I'm thinking of something more modest. If the EMP is not up to the job, I am considering a Darkvoice 336SE.

Jul 14, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 25
I haven't heard the K340, but I doubt the EMP will be able to drive them from what I've been reading.

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard the K340, but I doubt the EMP will be able to drive them from what I've been reading.

It might be for all we know, we just can't really test because the necessary shielding for the cd-player is hard to conceive :wink:.

I mean seriously, EMP is electromagnetic pulse, not Earmax Pro...that and I would look into ASL MG Head OTL if I were you - that little amp has alot of guts with K340, I am not certain if Raptor keeps up with it too well for this purpose (I and a friend had them back to back at certain point).

Jul 14, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would look into ASL MG Head OTL if I were you - that little amp has alot of guts with K340.

I've not listened to the ASL, but have seen them in person and they look unimpressive and of cheap build quality. Difficult ain't I?

Somebody must have tried an EMP with a K340 at some point?

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #10 of 25
I had K340 and EMP at the same time but can't remember. My idea is that the power is somewhat lacking for K340 but I can't recall if I actually tried or just assumed it.

I could test with Earmax Silver if you consider this more expensive version of Earmax, the amp is not connected for the moment because I test tubes for Stax amps now.

Jul 14, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Number9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've not listened to the ASL, but have seen them in person and they look unimpressive and of cheap build quality. Difficult ain't I?

And Earmax Pro looks so small its like no amp. Circular argument ensues...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes ... but how's about the Earmax Pro I wonder?
frown.gif

Can't you see that we are trying to steer you elsewhere? I know Earmax Pro is sexy and all, but there are amps that are known for their ability to drive K340...and that status was acquired by those amps for a reason.

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #13 of 25
No doubt. I'm just not ready to close the book on the EMP till I'm sure - that's all.

There will always be better (and even more costly amps). I'll start to consider them if the EMP is not a viable option.

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #14 of 25
I tested with Earmax Silver and that was a positive surprise. I had expected a rather bleak sound but it was quite enjoyable. I have a faint memory that the volume was low low with EMP but I am not absolutely sure if this is an experience some years ago or imagination.

The volume is sufficient with EMS, this amp has about 10 times more output power than EMP depending on the larger power supply. The volume nob came between slightly less than 12 and 2 o'clock depending on the recording level of the CD, 2 o'clock for an ECM recording and these always have a low ouput level. The max is about 5 o'clock and that was too much even for low output recordings.

The sound was more pleasant and engaging than I had imagined. I had a Corda Prehead when I bought the K340 and that was obviously not a good combination. The bass was surprisingly good with EMS. I started with a recording with Weather Report and and got adequate bass, not the strongest and punchiest but not unsatisfying. The bass was a little rounded rather than punchy but I think this is a property of the headphone (I get more punch with other headphones). The midrange was not as laid back as I had imagined but quite intense, direct and colorful.

I continued with Massive Attack (Blue Lines) to test the impact and it was enjoyable, not maximum punch and impact but far from the anemic presentation that I have heard on some amp - headphone combinations.

The presenation was well balanced on all tracks I heard and also on a solo piano recording with Keith Jarrett (the ECM).

My K340 has the stock cable and no modifications. I beleive that it could be improved and I now better understand the enthusiasm for K340 that did not work so well for me with the Prehead.

The Earmax Silver was equipped with two EH 6922 (gold pin) output tubes and a Sovtek 12AX7LPS driver tube. The Sovtek has a little more bass impact than usual (although loose bass during the first 20 hours). These tubes are cheap and compete favourably with NOS tubes from Sylvania and Siemens and have a more netral sound. The stock tubes that EMS comes equipped with are warmer and more laid-back.

It was an interesting and positive experience for me and I liked what I heard. I have no experience of how K340 sound with other tube amplifiers.

Jul 14, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #15 of 25
Anders. Thanks so much. I owe you a beer.

One point: My understanding was that the Silver has 10% more power than the EMP, not 10x more power. If the EMS has 10x more power, then I can't see the EMP being capable of driving the K340, let alone the EM.

I highly recommend you explore updating the K340. You will be surprised by the degree of change a cable swap makes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back