Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
Jan 23, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #466 of 903

I have a few observations to add to this conversation
biggrin.gif

First, when you use the analog inputs on the DC-1, your signal is basically passing through an analog line stage and an analog ladder network volume control. It gets some gain, and volume control, and nothing else. There are no conversions or processing involved.

Second, the DC-1 is very neutral sounding...

In contrast, I've actually owned several (three or four) Audio GD models - although never the specific ones you mentioned. The sound character of various Audio GD models is, quite literally, "all over the map". Every Audio GD DAC I've owned sounded rather "colored" to me, but no two models were colored the same way. (In other words, they don't have a "house sound"; rather, their house sound is "every model sounds different - something for everyone".)  They use all different DAC chips, and even their units that use the same chip sound wildly different.

Honestly, I find the way many of them sound rather pleasant, but don't expect neutral, and don't expect one model to sound at all like another. Treat each one as if it were an entirely new and different experience - whether that appeals to you or not
o2smile.gif

Last, I've found the headphone amps in the Audio GD DACs I've had that included them to be quite nice sounding - and very quiet. However, they do use an analog potentiometer (at least the models I owned), which didn't track especially well when turned down very low. (The DC-1's digitally controlled ladder network tracks within a fraction of a dB.... ALL the way down.)

Hey Keith - 

Any chance you guys sell the black trim pieces for the A-100? 

Jan 23, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #468 of 903
I love my DC-1. The only thing I wish is that I could use asynch mode without it buzzing unless the sample rate is 192 khz. I had this problem since day 1 
frown.gif

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #470 of 903
  I love my DC-1. The only thing I wish is that I could use asynch mode without it buzzing unless the sample rate is 192 khz. I had this problem since day 1 
frown.gif

Just curious but why don't you send it in to be repaired?  The rep Keith explained what the only two problems could be.
I have one coming and if there is a problem its going back.

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #472 of 903
That's great if you're in the USA- not when you are in South Africa, cos then sending takes time and a lot of money.
The asynch issue has been mentioned several times.
Shoot me for not knowing
tongue.gif
, but is it in fact an issue?
What I mean is, what are the audible drawbacks to setting the sample rate to 192? Does adding an extra process affect SQ?

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #474 of 903

Just curious but why don't you send it in to be repaired?  The rep Keith explained what the only two problems could be.
I have one coming and if there is a problem its going back.

I would love to send it back to get it fixed, but the money and time of the process isn't fun. Shipping from Canada to USA...meh. If Emotiva covered it, I would send it in an instant. Technically, I did report it in the first week I had DC-1, but didn't really get anything useful out of it. They made it seem like my gear was the one to blame...yeah ok.

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #475 of 903
Oh, didn't realize you were from Canada.  I do see they have a five year warranty.  I have owned a Bitfrost uber usb, a wa7, a Oppoha-1, and a matrix x-sabre.  Never had the type of problem you are experiencing.  So I know nothing is wrong with my chain.  Will be checking out the stealth for the problem you are experiencing as soon as it arrives.

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #476 of 903
The problem is with all my inputs (through various gear) in Asynchronous mode with lower sample rates. I get buzzing in my left channel. As the sample rate increases from 44 to 48 to 88.2 to 96 to 176.4 to 192, the hum gets lower and lower. At 192 it's gone. So for source material at 192 it's fine. Otherwise, I have to force upsample everything through software which isn't the best for it's sound. So I'm stuck with synch mode.

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #477 of 903
  The problem is with all my inputs (through various gear) in Asynchronous mode with lower sample rates. I get buzzing in my left channel. As the sample rate increases from 44 to 48 to 88.2 to 96 to 176.4 to 192, the hum gets lower and lower. At 192 it's gone. So for source material at 192 it's fine. Otherwise, I have to force upsample everything through software which isn't the best for it's sound. So I'm stuck with synch mode.

Got the dc-1 and really like it.  Especially the Dac.  However, I tried to recreate what you are talking about and mine is dead silent.   Its a shame you can't get something done about that. 

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #478 of 903
The issue you're describing can be caused by a ground loop, or by poor grounding or a noisy ground on a USB source, or it can be due to a hardware fault with that particular DC-1. (Assuming that it still happens, even with a non-USB source, when there are no USB sources connected, then that suggests a hardware fault.) As someone mentioned, if that's the case, we'll be glad to fix it under warranty.

Unfortunately, most of the audio circuitry is on a single board in the DC-1, and that board is soldered in place - so it's not something that an end user can replace.

Keith

Quote:

Got the dc-1 and really like it.  Especially the Dac.  However, I tried to recreate what you are talking about and mine is dead silent.   Its a shame you can't get something done about that. 

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #480 of 903
After spending some time with the DC-1 I am impressed.  I have owned the Matrix X-Sabre and Uber Bitfost DACs and I would say the dac section of the DC-1 stacks up very well. I wasn't a huge fan of the bitfrost but I think the DC-1 is a keeper.  I am using the dac to feed my Icon amp and it is a very nice combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back