Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
Apr 16, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #317 of 903
Looks like I'll be getting a DC-1 sooner or later.

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #318 of 903
I rate the DC-1 very highly as a preamp.  I love the volume knob on it, you can spin it fast for bigger changes, or slowly for those 0.25 dB steps.  You can also quickly just press it for a mute, love that feature.  The remote is built solidly and works from all kind of odd angles.  I love the sound of the volume attenuator, it is so transparent.  Is that an oxymoron?  I also love having analog input, as well as various digital inputs available.  I am getting pretty close to maxing out all the different inputs with various pieces of gear (CD player, computer, 2 different recording interfaces, analog gear--Turntable, tapes).  It really has come into its own as the center hub of my room/studio.  I have so many speakers and so much analog gear though that I have supplemented it with a couple analog switch boxes as well, but I would have to do this with most of the preamps on the market.  I'm really impressed with what this tiny little box is capable of.  I even like the clarity of the headphone amp for late night listening.

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #319 of 903
^ The range of inputs and outputs with the features is what's really drawing me. All the inputs are going to end up getting used in my case here as well. PS3 for optical, Wii for analog in, Mac mini/ Macbook pro for USB, CD player for S/PDIF, AES for other studio gear. Only BNC gets left out for now.  

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #321 of 903
BNC can be used as coax SPDIF with a simple and very cheap adapter.  I'm going to use it as a second coax spdif with a portable recording interface.  I just got a female BNC female to RCA male adapter for pennies to use a regular BNC cable with it.  I'll put the BNC end on the DC-1, and the RCA end on the interface.  Hopefully this should work I've heard it's a very common workaround.  Obviously you could fabricate a custom cable just as well, if you're handy with soldering.

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #322 of 903
Nice, one more input. If someone local here in GTA looking to get rid of their DC-1, let me know.

The only thing I need  after the DC-1 is a Mac Mini and that'd make a kick ass all in one home theatre and music setup that I can leave on the TV stand without a cable mess. Are you guys using all your stuff in asynchronous mode? 

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #324 of 903
Go to PS Audio's site, the CEO describes his Mac mini build in the forum.

LOL I was just reading Paul's article on that the other day. That was what had stirred up my interest again on the Mac mini.

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #327 of 903
The reason for using a Mac mini over my Macbook pro is the same reason he stated. To keep unnecessary screens away and just have a standalone system. I hate having to move my Macbook pro between all the floors. Also, that way others can access the same stuff all the time without relying on my laptop to feed it. It won't be for performance purposes, purely convenience and luxury purpose I suppose.

I'll only be using the Mac mini setup for watching movies, music, browsing web and some document stuff. Nothing overkill though.

Apr 22, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #330 of 903

Bit the bullet on one. I don't have super high expectations for this unit, but I will be comparing it to my Maverick D1 and Audio-GD Reference 1.

I think you are going to find it is better than the first and not as good as the second.

Yea, that's much hunch as well. I'll keep an open mind and see how close to either one it sits. The added functionality of the DC-1 with balanced outs, a remote, and a preamp really makes it a serious all-in-one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back