Emotiva Pro airmotiv4 Loudspeakers Review
Feb 20, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #136 of 413
I have a set of Airmotiv4 on the way.  These will be for general PC/desktop use.  I went with the 4s to keep the desktop real estate reasonable.  Debating a HSU STF-1 vs. STF-2.  Nepenthe, thanks for the photos and feedback.  It helped greatly in making my decision.

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #137 of 413
I ended up changing my order to the Airmotiv 5 at the last minute, thinking that the 6 would be too large for my desk.  I got them last Friday and am really enjoying them so far - crystal clear with nice tight bass.  They are a big step up from the Audioengine A5+.  Of course, they are $599 (but with the coupon code a bit over $500), versus $399 MSRP for the A5+.

I'll try to get some pics up soon.

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #138 of 413

Quote:
I have a set of Airmotiv4 on the way.  These will be for general PC/desktop use.  I went with the 4s to keep the desktop real estate reasonable.  Debating a HSU STF-1 vs. STF-2.  Nepenthe, thanks for the photos and feedback.  It helped greatly in making my decision.

I really dig my stf-1, if you have a large room though go for the stf-2.

Feb 22, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #139 of 413
Airmotiv4s arrived in two days and are GREAT!  I wouldn't want much bigger on the computer/office desk, but for another room... hmm...
biggrin.gif

Asus Xonar Essence One arrives tomorrow and STF-2 should be here next week.

This setup is replacing a Logitech Z-5500 with onboard PC sound and is, predictably, a big step up.

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #140 of 413
In reference to the "FLACs sounding inferior to un-compressed WAVs" I'm not attempting to stick up for Steve, nor discredit myself for that matter; however I will say that I've recently been introduced to EAC, and can tell a difference between a FLAC properly ripped (there are other equally adept programs out there of course, EAC is just the first one I stumbled upon) versus FLACs that have been ripped using a less accurate method, producing errors.  This of course then raises the fact that they aren't truly compressed, so it may be a moot point, if not a lesson in semantics.

Back on subject, I will say that all of you have collectedly convinced this long time lurker to bite the bullet on an Audio-gd NFB10SE to pair up with my asus xonar stx/magnums and either a airmotiv4 or 5, I thank you for saving me the time of doing research myself :)

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #141 of 413
If its not properly ripped then its going to sound the same whether you export the data to wav or flac....

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #142 of 413
Yeah that's why I figured it was a moot point, but it was the only way I could fathom being able to tell a difference (IE having a bad FLAC rip compared to a good WAV rip/or source)

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #143 of 413
I know, I need to do cable management... :wink:

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #144 of 413
Quote:
Yeah that's why I figured it was a moot point, but it was the only way I could fathom being able to tell a difference (IE having a bad FLAC rip compared to a good WAV rip/or source)

Ok then.  That makes sense.  You were explaining how someone could get the impression wav was better than flac if they didn't understand the theory behind it.  I seem to have missed that.

Mar 1, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #146 of 413
Comparison: Airmotiv 4 vs Airmotiv 5

If I had to compare the Airmotiv 5 to the Airmotiv 4, I'd say that the Airmotiv 5 is better because 5 is one more than 4. It's a bigger number. It also cost $200 more. If you tell people you paid $400 for your speakers (Airmotiv 4), they might go, "Ugh, I'm leaving. Goodbye forever." Now tell them your speakers cost $600: "Oh, baby. You play me FLAC; I'll scratch your back."

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #148 of 413

Quote:
Comparison: Airmotiv 4 vs Airmotiv 5

If I had to compare the Airmotiv 5 to the Airmotiv 4, I'd say that the Airmotiv 5 is better because 5 is one more than 4. It's a bigger number. It also cost $200 more. If you tell people you paid $400 for your speakers (Airmotiv 4), they might go, "Ugh, I'm leaving. Goodbye forever." Now tell them your speakers cost $600: "Oh, baby. You play me FLAC; I'll scratch your back."

hahahaha!!! That sums up everything here on Head-Fi. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back