Emotiva Airmotiv 6 (Completed Impressions)
Jun 7, 2012 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

MorbidToaster

Headphoneus Supremus
Just going to keep writing down some impressions each day for the next week or so for anyone interested in these speakers.

-----

4/7: For one, they got here fast. Shipping was free (per the usual Emotiva purchase) and they got here in 2 days. From Tennessee to Texas. They weight 25 lbs a piece so they're reasonably heavy for what could be considered bookshelf speakers. Anyway, on to the sound. First impressions were very good. The first word that came into my head was punchy. These things have a very crisp, thumpy sound. Center image is right on although the soundstage itself seems a bit small (remember my last speakers were MMGs, so I'm used to huge soundstage) but this could just be positioning which I'll fiddle with more as the days go by. Other than that they just sound great. Bass is impressive and extended. Now I do have a few initial nit picks. The 'level' knobs feel a bit flimsy compared to the rest, but that's not a big deal when you're actually listening. The only other thing is that with a sound this punchy I wish I could 'feel' it a little more. Every thump is very well separated, but you just don't feel it in your chest. I think you'd need to add a subwoofer if you want more 'thump' or 'rumble'. Overall I'm happy with this purchase so far.

Side Note: I realize after writing this and some impressions in the CNET review of the Airmotiv 4s I'm having a hard time describing the bass how I want to. The bass absolutely fills the room. It's very strong and sounds great...you just won't feel it in your chest.

4/8: Started the morning off with some low level listening as the roommates were asleep. They seem to work really well without much loss of detail. The bass is unchanged (still very punchy and energetic) where as the treble loses a little bit of its detail. Instruments are still easy to pick out. I feel they're mostly unchanged at lower levels. You of course get more energy at higher levels, but that's just how it works usually. It gets more fun as you crank it up. :D Most of the low level listening was done in a 'near field' environment today as well rather than the mid field of the impressions yesterday. They seem to work well up close but because of their depth they're still a bit impractical if you have a narrower desk (like I do). I think one of the smaller models would work better depending on your desk. I'll do more listening from different distances later but at about 2 - 3ft from the center they still sound great. Another thing I'd like to mention that I started using were the EQ controls on the back. Haven't and probably won't fiddle with the high cut as I don't think it's necessary. The low end EQ however is coming in handy (especially for low level listening this morning). I use the -2db settings on the low end and everything feels a bit more balanced that way. While the bass always sounds great it can get a little overpowering at both low and high volumes depending on what you're listening to. The -2db cut just seems to get everything 'right back in line' if it gets a little crazy. I haven't used the -4db cut yet but that's just because I like bass. 
wink.gif

4/9: Just a small update today as I have to work most of the day today. I was using these for TV last night (they're actually set up in the living room) and it improved the experience a lot over the built in TV speakers (obviously). Voicing was much more on point and the soundstage puts things in their place as long as you're not too far away (~6ft or so). The bass of course shines through once again, but they also just give me a lot more of the subtle sounds that make TV shows and movies a more immersive experience. I'm considering doing a fully powered 5.2 system with the Airmotiv line at this point. We'll see how that pans out. 

4/10: After fiddling with them for awhile longer as far as positioning goes I can safely say that they are definitely a 'sweet spot' speaker. The tweeter is very directional and the highs sound off if you're not in the right spot. They sound fine from anywhere for the most part (not unlistenable), but it's very obvious when you move into the 'sweet spot' and when you move out. That being said I think that for me these aren't going to be a very good fit. While they sound good as a near-field they're just too large to fit properly on my desk and they're not practical for me as a mid-field. 

-----

While I've come across no particular problems with the sound I have decided to return these. They just turned out to not fit in anywhere in my plans. Too big for my desk and a little small to fill the living room up for movies. These would be a really good investment for someone that might be setting up a home studio with a little more space than myself, but I think most people just looking for a decent small monitor should look at some of their smaller models. If they sound anything like the 6s you'll be very pleased with them as computer speakers.

Jun 7, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 39
4/8:
Here's a few high res shots from their actual site so you can get an idea of what the speaker looks like (and the EQ controls on the back).

I'll add some of my own later.

Jun 8, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #4 of 39
maybe there is a very specific low frequency in which are more effective in resonating the bones of your chest,than considering a whole range of frequencies in the low area (?),dont know ,just speculating.
Morbid,does the airmotiv6 is suitable for a low-mid range listening enjoyability?i plan to buy a pair of hi-end bookshelf speaker 
to be listening for a distance for about 1-2 meters.
salute

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #5 of 39
I'll come back with more on listening distance and levels over the next few days. I know why it doesn't 'shake you'. The speakers are back ported. It shakes my wall instead of my chest. :D

Quote:
maybe there is a very specific low frequency in which are more effective in resonating the bones of your chest,than considering a whole range of frequencies in the low area (?),dont know ,just speculating.
Morbid,does the airmotiv6 is suitable for a low-mid range listening enjoyability?i plan to buy a pair of hi-end bookshelf speaker 
to be listening for a distance for about 1-2 meters.
salute

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #7 of 39
Do you feel you're getting early reflections off your desk at all? Or is it a more or less direct sound from the AMT tweeter to your ears? Do you have any damping material of any kind on or around your desk or screens?

Jun 10, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #8 of 39
Nothing special here as far as treatment. Feels like it's straight to my ears.

Quote:
Do you feel you're getting early reflections off your desk at all? Or is it a more or less direct sound from the AMT tweeter to your ears? Do you have any damping material of any kind on or around your desk or screens?

Jun 10, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #9 of 39
Finished my impressions. While I did plan for them to be longer I've decided to return these as they aren't practical for me. I want it to be clear I had no problems with their sound in my time with them except their lack of physical 'umph'.

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #10 of 39
Well done impressions, thanks! I've now heard the 4 and the 5, but not the 6, so I appreciate your thoughts. 

If anyone is interested, I recently covered the airmotiv 5 at InnerFidelity. As MorbidToaster very clearly mentioned: proper setup is important, and you definitely need a good amount of space for these. The 5 and especially the 4 will be more likely to fit on a desk than the 6.

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #11 of 39
Well done impressions, thanks! I've now heard the 4 and the 5, but not the 6, so I appreciate your thoughts. 

If anyone is interested, I recently covered the airmotiv 5 at InnerFidelity. As MorbidToaster very clearly mentioned: proper setup is important, and you definitely need a good amount of space for these. The 5 and especially the 4 will be more likely to fit on a desk than the 6.

While it's unfortunate the 6s didn't quite suit my space I will definitely be picking up a pair of 4s for use as desk speakers down the line. Emotiva did a good job on these.

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

My apologies for posting this question again but I just came upon this thread after posting in the Airmotiv4 thread.  Between Morbidtoaster and Project86, the two of you likely could provide the best insight into this. 

As I posted in the other thread, have either of you heard the Airmotiv 4s, 5s, and 6s?  In sum I loved the 4s so much I bought the 5s.   But, for some strange reason, the 4s I have seem to have a better bass response than the 5s I just received.  The 4s sound smaller but with cleaner, somehow deeper sounding bass.  I am trying to listen more to the 5s to see if they loosen up and change.   I'm using an Airport Express and I interchange DACs.  Tried with Audioengine D1 which made them anemic but will be receiving an XDA-1 this week.

Since I still absolutely love the Airmotiv4s, I am now contemplating going for the Airmotiv6s in hopes they will be what I expected the 5s to be.   My main question (specs aside) for anyone who has heard the 4s, 5s and 6s is whether the jump from the 5s to the 6s will be bigger than from the 4s to 5s.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

My apologies for posting this question again but I just came upon this thread after posting in the Airmotiv4 thread.  Between Morbidtoaster and Project86, the two of you likely could provide the best insight into this. 

As I posted in the other thread, have either of you heard the Airmotiv 4s, 5s, and 6s?  In sum I loved the 4s so much I bought the 5s.   But, for some strange reason, the 4s I have seem to have a better bass response than the 5s I just received.  The 4s sound smaller but with cleaner, somehow deeper sounding bass.  I am trying to listen more to the 5s to see if they loosen up and change.   I'm using an Airport Express and I interchange DACs.  Tried with Audioengine D1 which made them anemic but will be receiving an XDA-1 this week.

Since I still absolutely love the Airmotiv4s, I am now contemplating going for the Airmotiv6s in hopes they will be what I expected the 5s to be.   My main question (specs aside) for anyone who has heard the 4s, 5s and 6s is whether the jump from the 5s to the 6s will be bigger than from the 4s to 5s.

Sorry, I have only heard the 5s, and I doubt MorbidToaster has heard all of them either (correct me if I'm wrong!). 

Despite not having heard the 4, I think I can see what's going in by looking at the measurements on their site. The 4 has a bit of a boost that kicks in around 125Hz or so. By 80Hz they are up 3 or 4 dB. They start dropping off around 70Hz.

In comparison, the 5 stays flat to 60Hz and is just slightly down at 55Hz. Then it starts falling off as well. 

This means the 4 has a deliberate boost in order to make it sound more punchy at low volumes. It's the same trick used in the AudioEngine A2 though nowhere near as bad. The curve of the 6 looks very similar to the 5 but it extends deeper to around 45Hz. The 4 probably works better at lower volumes, but if you crank it up I imagine the benefits of the 5 will become more clear. 

Ultimately you should stick with the 4 if that works for your listening habits.

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #14 of 39
Thank you project86.  I think that is exactly what I am hearing.  I did some comparisons this morning at higher volumes where I definitely prefer the 5s.   I also had the 4s for a week or so before receiving the 5s and have been listening mostly to the 5s now and the low end has rounded out for the better.   So, now I am wondering if I stay with the 5s or get the 6s for a little more low end oomph.  

I have auditioned lots of speakers for a home office I am building and I really like the sound of these Airmotivs for music, for my limited purposes.  I consider and really like the Adam A7x but not sure if it is worth paying almost double the price after having heard them, again for my limited purposes.    Finally, in your opinion, would I be better served with the 5s and a sealed (musical) subwoofer or the 6s sans sub.   I like to listen to everything but am looking for some lower end response for jazz (double bass). 

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #15 of 39
That probably depends on your physical setup. If you have room for good placement (ie no close boundaries on the sides or rear), and can get the 6s up off the desk and closer to ear level, then they should do quite well on their own. If placement is not ideal, a sub paired with the 5s would probably be the better choice. But then again you may not have any good spots for a sub, so placement is key. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back