Emotiva A-100
Apr 29, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #751 of 759
Old post here but I had a similar experience today with my LCD-2 closed (minus the channel imbalance). I've used it to power a few other headphones in the past but have been almost exclusive THX 789 for a long time, with the A-100 only powering my desktop speakers, but plugged in today on a whim. Man, immediate difference in the heft and the sound is just more musical and fun in a way that's hard to describe. Not sure I'll ever take these headphones back to the THX and will have to revisit with the rest of my stable as well.
[/QUOTEalso e
Old post here but I had a similar experience today with my LCD-2 closed (minus the channel imbalance). I've used it to power a few other headphones in the past but have been almost exclusive THX 789 for a long time, with the A-100 only powering my desktop speakers, but plugged in today on a whim. Man, immediate difference in the heft and the sound is just more musical and fun in a way that's hard to describe. Not sure I'll ever take these headphones back to the THX and will have to revisit with the rest of my stable as well.

The A100 is one of the best values in the audio hobby. Great headphone amplifier that also works well as a dedicated power amplifier. I use mine with a Naim 62 / Hicap and have been very pleased with the performance.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #755 of 759
I don't know why this amp doesn't get more love here than it does. I bought one three years ago after Z Reviews loved it, and I don't regret it at all.

Actually when the A 100 came out in 2017 (I think) it was met with raves. The value was so outstanding that Emotiva had a difficult time keeping them in stock. I was late on the A100 bandwagon but eventually purchased one of the last ones at the $199.99 closeout price. IME the A 100 remains an incredible bargain and retains much of its initial price on the used market. I would imagine that its A2M successor (which from what I have read is largely a cosmetic upgrade) offers similar performance for about $100 more. I always thought the A 100 was under priced, so the A2M is likely priced where it should be.

I really like the A 100 driving my two channel system, and it runs my planars beautifully, with no shortage of power.

Nov 4, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #757 of 759
Bought a year ago an A100 here in the classifieds and I've been using it almost daily with my He6SEv2 and DT880 600 ohms. It sounds fantastic. It also drives my humble Polk RTi a3 like a champ.
I jusr added a Schiit Sys for better volume control and a Loki+ to tweak a little more bass..

Emotiva andHE6.jpg

Nov 26, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #758 of 759
Been 6 months since my last post and the A-100 has indeed obsoleted my THX-789. The 789 is still a fine amp and I daresay is even a bit cleaner/more precise than the A-100, but there's just some mojo with this jumpered A-100 that makes my headphones absolutely pound. Being a former rock bassist, that just tickles me pick even if it is at the cost of a bit of precision, and since I'm fortunate enough to have room on the desktop (and to need a speaker amp for ym desktop speakers) the A-100 is my main.

Very underappreciated piece of kit and glad I got one before they vanished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back