Emotiva A-100
Feb 17, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #736 of 759
Honestly this amp can drive well pretty much any bookshelf. Just choose what you like. :) I'm pairing mine with a fairly cheap pair of Pioneer BS-22's and they sound great together.

Feb 17, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #737 of 759
Budget is going to be 500 and under I don't want floor standing got to be a bookshelf speaker. I tend to like a little bit warmer of a sound just a touch of warmth.

If you're lucky, every now and then used KEF LS50 pop up at about $550-600. These are brilliant as bookshelf speakers.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 18, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #738 of 759
Old thread I know can anybody tell me a good pair of bookshel speakers that pair well with this amp?
I drive a pair of Elac UB5's with mine as well as using it as a headphone amp. They are 4 ohm speakers with 85 db sensitivity and the amp does a good job with them. I've seen them on Ebay for around $300 used. They sound great.

Feb 18, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #740 of 759
May 13, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #743 of 759
Hello everyone, I just want to ask a question: Has anyone tried the ATH R70X 470 ohms, 99db sensitivity with A100? Kinda overkill, but in my country, pretty sure I can find this cheaper than a Xduoo XD05 Bal, mojo, idsd micro BL and a cayin iha6. All of the amps I just mentioned is rumoured to pair great with the R70x. And also, is the headphone out of the a100 clean? Not expecting much seeing the 50watts output, but I have to try.
Thank you everybody.

Mar 29, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #745 of 759
Hey guys, I'm in need of some help. My Basx a-100 has started giving me a crackle noise out the right side. It comes and goes randomly. Its there when the volume is all the way down. It's there when there isn't any input hooked up. I've tried different headphones. I've tried threw the speaker out puts on back. I've tried powering it up in different plugs in house. Ive tried leaving running for days thinking it needs to heat up a little too. VCan't for the life of me figure it out. I've tried talking to emotiva but all they said they can do is send me schematics.

Please, if anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears. I really don't want to toss this thing.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #746 of 759
The only problem that I've had with mine was the volume control was scratchy. I contacted Emotiva about it and they said to turn the control back and forth a few times. That helped but it didn't solve the problem. I opened the case up and hit the pot with contact cleaner. That fixed it. That might be a long shot for you but something to consider.

Mar 29, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #747 of 759
Hey guys, I'm in need of some help. My Basx a-100 has started giving me a crackle noise out the right side. It comes and goes randomly. Its there when the volume is all the way down. It's there when there isn't any input hooked up. I've tried different headphones. I've tried threw the speaker out puts on back. I've tried powering it up in different plugs in house. Ive tried leaving running for days thinking it needs to heat up a little too. VCan't for the life of me figure it out. I've tried talking to emotiva but all they said they can do is send me schematics.

Please, if anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears. I really don't want to toss this thing.
Did you purchase the A100 new? They have a five year factory warranty to the original owner.

Mar 29, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #748 of 759
I've tried cleaning the pot too, stopped the static that happened with volume adjusting but not the one randomly occurs.

I purchased the amp from a user here in the forums 3 or 4 years ago so it's a no go on warranty.

I think it might be a cap going bad but I've tried running it with it open and tapping on things with a wooden chop stick with hel0 me single out the problem but it did nothing.

Apr 29, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #749 of 759
I've had this amp since shortly after release, and I also own the original mini-x without the headphone output, and I finally used the A-100 in full power mode with my LCD-2. I had to order a pack of jumpers just to put 2 on the dang board, but I finally did it after all these years. I was using an Asgard-2 to power the LCD-2 before, but I didn't want that space heater on my desk anymore.

The sound is extremely engaging. Music sounds more dynamic through the A-100, as one would imagine with so much more power. The noise floor is insanely high as others have mentioned, so it really is the same experience as an old vintage speaker amp, but you can't hear any noise once something is going, even video games.

The only downside is that there is severe channel imbalance up until about 20% of tolerable volume. I'm going to try putting a SYS in between for some extra play on the volume pot, but it won't help the channel imbalance issue and I'm worried it'll make that crazy noise floor even higher.

Overall a good, fun experience.
Old post here but I had a similar experience today with my LCD-2 closed (minus the channel imbalance). I've used it to power a few other headphones in the past but have been almost exclusive THX 789 for a long time, with the A-100 only powering my desktop speakers, but plugged in today on a whim. Man, immediate difference in the heft and the sound is just more musical and fun in a way that's hard to describe. Not sure I'll ever take these headphones back to the THX and will have to revisit with the rest of my stable as well.

Apr 29, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #750 of 759
i miss mine so much, it just sits in a box now till i can figure out how to fix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back