Emotiva A-100
Nov 22, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #722 of 759
When speakers are connected and headphones are plug in then speakers have cut off sound ? I'm sorry if there was that question in past.

I believe that the speakers and headphones operate simultaneously.

Nov 22, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #723 of 759
When speakers are connected and headphones are plug in then speakers have cut off sound ? I'm sorry if there was that question in past.
When the headphones are connected the speakers are automatically shut off.

Nov 22, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #725 of 759
Thanks ! That I was expecting because I plan to use mainly with headphones but PC passive speakers will be connected too.

I actually own an A-100 but have only used it as a headphone amp. So I was not certain whether or not the headphone amp muted the speaker outputs.
Glad to get this information. Happy Holidays to Draygonn and Abccpu! 😊

Nov 29, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #726 of 759
I've had this amp since shortly after release, and I also own the original mini-x without the headphone output, and I finally used the A-100 in full power mode with my LCD-2. I had to order a pack of jumpers just to put 2 on the dang board, but I finally did it after all these years. I was using an Asgard-2 to power the LCD-2 before, but I didn't want that space heater on my desk anymore.

The sound is extremely engaging. Music sounds more dynamic through the A-100, as one would imagine with so much more power. The noise floor is insanely high as others have mentioned, so it really is the same experience as an old vintage speaker amp, but you can't hear any noise once something is going, even video games.

The only downside is that there is severe channel imbalance up until about 20% of tolerable volume. I'm going to try putting a SYS in between for some extra play on the volume pot, but it won't help the channel imbalance issue and I'm worried it'll make that crazy noise floor even higher.

Overall a good, fun experience.

Nov 29, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #727 of 759
I've had this amp since shortly after release, and I also own the original mini-x without the headphone output, and I finally used the A-100 in full power mode with my LCD-2. I had to order a pack of jumpers just to put 2 on the dang board, but I finally did it after all these years. I was using an Asgard-2 to power the LCD-2 before, but I didn't want that space heater on my desk anymore.

The sound is extremely engaging. Music sounds more dynamic through the A-100, as one would imagine with so much more power. The noise floor is insanely high as others have mentioned, so it really is the same experience as an old vintage speaker amp, but you can't hear any noise once something is going, even video games.

The only downside is that there is severe channel imbalance up until about 20% of tolerable volume. I'm going to try putting a SYS in between for some extra play on the volume pot, but it won't help the channel imbalance issue and I'm worried it'll make that crazy noise floor even higher.

Overall a good, fun experience.

IMHO the A-100 is one of the greatest bargains in audio gear that's ever been offered. No other headphone amp even close to this price
offers the A-100's power. I really like it with my planars, but also to drive my Sennheiser HD6XX and HD600. Even better is how the
the A-100 works with my old 600 ohm AKG K240 Sextetts. It usually takes a good tube headphone amp (esp. Otl's) to make the
Sextetts sound their best, but the A-100 does surprisingly well. And drives them effortlessly. I just wish that Emotiva still made the A-100.

Nov 29, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #728 of 759
IMHO the A-100 is one of the greatest bargains in audio gear that's ever been offered. No other headphone amp even close to this price
offers the A-100's power. I really like it with my planars, but also to drive my Sennheiser HD6XX and HD600. Even better is how the
the A-100 works with my old 600 ohm AKG K240 Sextetts. It usually takes a good tube headphone amp (esp. Otl's) to make the
Sextetts sound their best, but the A-100 does surprisingly well. And drives them effortlessly. I just wish that Emotiva still made the A-100.

That is pretty cool. It makes sense that this amp would be a total dream with high impedance headphones and it almost makes me want to pick up a pair, but I've been so happy with my LCD-2's for years now I haven't had the urge to buy other headphones.

I look forward to seeing what Emotiva does next. I really liked the Mini-X, so much that I bought two, but the form factor is really weird and doesn't really fit well anywhere, plus all of their new designs are Class H. Would be interesting to see what kind of high power they can pack into a small form factor that fits better on a desk.

Dec 2, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #729 of 759
Is someone tried to replace reistors in direct drive mode for higher value to reduce power output ? Lowering power output will help with small adjustment of volume range pot.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #735 of 759
Budget is going to be 500 and under I don't want floor standing got to be a bookshelf speaker. I tend to like a little bit warmer of a sound just a touch of warmth.

I'm not trying to get crazy loud volume I've got a 12 ft x 12 ft room it's not huge looking to fill the room with some good sound.

The triangle Borea bro 2, is the first speaker that comes to mind but I'm wide open.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back