Emotiva A-100
Jul 1, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #706 of 759
Do you have any thoughts on a DIY bulk cables? I've been considering picking some bulk cable from DH Labs to get a better arrangement of my equipment from the power source to the unit. The BasX power cable is quite short. Considering this one at $8/ft: http://silversonic.com/products/bulk-wire-and-cable/bulk-power-cable/power-ac-power-cable/ would be a reasonable price. I haven't made a power cable before but I'd imagine it would be quicker than making custom PSU cables for a HTPC case or on par with networking cables. The connectors though can get quite pricey.

I would say that I was around 5-10% on my PC's master volume with the Emotiva all the way up with jumpers on through HD-600's; I can't remember if I had Tidal at 50% or 100% though. If your controlling volume through multiple sources the jumpers in can be managed at 300ohms but the risk with that is if your volume lags once through software while increasing volume, you could be blowing out your ears a couple seconds later.

From my experience with the similarly priced Schiit Asgard 2 and the Emotiva BasX through HD-600's, the Asgard 2 had much more powerful bass. The Asgard 2 was actually very fatiguing at times through the HD-600's and rolled the treble off losing detail in the highs. Comparing the Emotiva to the Asgard I feel like it's much more neutral between the lows, mids and highs which is more in line with my preferences because a simple EQ a preset that works for an artist's albums and I have my ideal sound arrangement which was not working for me on the Asgard 2. Although for some reason I think the Asgard 2's bass did amazing well for game trailers, it was the only thing I favored on the Asgard. But what I've learned from testing amps is the sound signature and details change greatly between headphones.

---------------

I'm curious to read if anyone A/B tested it to the Schiit Jotunheim.

In my experience, the Asgard 2 did not sound great with the HD600 or the HD6XX. However, it sounds great with my Fostex T50RP MK 3 and Hifiman HE 4XX. This makes sense since the A2 makes a full watt of power between 32 and 50 ohms.

The BASX A100 sounds great in normal mode with everything from IEMs and planars to dynamic headphones. The benefits of the high power setting are in regard to very inefficient headphones. The BASX is arguably the best value in headphone amplifiers to come along in the past 20 years. And the fact that it is also a very good speaker amplifier is an added bonus.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #707 of 759
Do you have any thoughts on a DIY bulk cables? I've been considering picking some bulk cable from DH Labs to get a better arrangement of my equipment from the power source to the unit. The BasX power cable is quite short. Considering this one at $8/ft: http://silversonic.com/products/bulk-wire-and-cable/bulk-power-cable/power-ac-power-cable/ would be a reasonable price. I haven't made a power cable before but I'd imagine it would be quicker than making custom PSU cables for a HTPC case or on par with networking cables. The connectors though can get quite pricey.

I would say that I was around 5-10% on my PC's master volume with the Emotiva all the way up with jumpers on through HD-600's; I can't remember if I had Tidal at 50% or 100% though. If your controlling volume through multiple sources the jumpers in can be managed at 300ohms but the risk with that is if your volume lags once through software while increasing volume, you could be blowing out your ears a couple seconds later.

From my experience with the similarly priced Schiit Asgard 2 and the Emotiva BasX through HD-600's, the Asgard 2 had much more powerful bass. The Asgard 2 was actually very fatiguing at times through the HD-600's and rolled the treble off losing detail in the highs. Comparing the Emotiva to the Asgard I feel like it's much more neutral between the lows, mids and highs which is more in line with my preferences because a simple EQ a preset that works for an artist's albums and I have my ideal sound arrangement which was not working for me on the Asgard 2. Although for some reason I think the Asgard 2's bass did amazing well for game trailers, it was the only thing I favored on the Asgard. But what I've learned from testing amps is the sound signature and details change greatly between headphones.

---------------

I'm curious to read if anyone A/B tested it to

Double post

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #708 of 759
Got a pair of Dan Clark Audio Aeon Flow Closed RTs (that's a lot of typing...) today and even with its very low impedance I'm surprised at how well it pairs with the A-100. The DT-1990s are the only other headphones I've owned that sounded good, let alone better, with the A-100 but I'll be damned if these AFC RTs don't love it. They were fine, if unremarkable, with the THX 789 but really woke up with the A-100. Have more evaluation to do overall but this is a great pairing.
I'm probably going to order the Ether 2 flow headphones to see how well it works.

Jul 3, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #709 of 759
In my experience, the Asgard 2 did not sound great with the HD600 or the HD6XX. However, it sounds great with my Fostex T50RP MK 3 and Hifiman HE 4XX. This makes sense since the A2 makes a full watt of power between 32 and 50 ohms.

The BASX A100 sounds great in normal mode with everything from IEMs and planars to dynamic headphones. The benefits of the high power setting are in regard to very inefficient headphones. The BASX is arguably the best value in headphone amplifiers to come along in the past 20 years. And the fact that it is also a very good speaker amplifier is an added bonus.
I don't find the normal mode sounds as good as full-power mode. Issue is that full-power mode's gain is just too much that it will be too loud to the point of causing hearing damage.

They should make one dedicated for headphones (with proper gain level) without the usage of passive circuity to reduced loudness. That passive circuitry causes lower quality sound.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #710 of 759
I don't find the normal mode sounds as good as full-power mode. Issue is that full-power mode's gain is just too much that it will be too loud to the point of causing hearing damage.

They should make one dedicated for headphones (with proper gain level) without the usage of passive circuity to reduced loudness. That passive circuitry causes lower quality sound.
I agree. The full power mode is spectacular as long as your headphones are at the right impedance where the noise isn't noticeable (and also allows you enough play on the volume). Headphones like the HD800S and HD600S do fine. But lower impedance headphones have issues. Emotiva was going to make a class A fully balanced headphone amp but it has been put on hold.

Jul 3, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #713 of 759

I have read that but have not used the higher power more long enough

It'll be interesting to see what Emotiva replaces the A 100 with. They've had real good success with the A 100 so they want
to make sure that whatever headphone amp follows it appeals to both Emotiva customers and potential new customers
in the future. Would not be at all surprised to see the company offer a dedicated headphone amp in the future. Perhaps even
a dac/amp combo.

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #714 of 759
My secondary set up in the living room for my TC and susvara is a budget chain that uses all stuff that push past their price points.

BasX a100 is the cheapest headphone amp that I could use to power these cans. With an ifi itube2 it refines and improves the sound significantly. A raspberry Pi4 streamer cleans up the signal further. HQplayer NaA for 786Khz upsampling with SMsL SU9. Top tier TC/Susvara chain for not a lot of cash.

9EF9EF69-89C0-432E-B956-CC4C990A35D3.jpeg

Nov 3, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #715 of 759
BasX a100 is the cheapest headphone amp that I could use to power these cans. With an ifi itube2 it refines and improves the sound significantly. A raspberry Pi4 streamer cleans up the signal further. HQplayer NaA for 786Khz upsampling with SMsL SU9. Top tier TC/Susvara chain for not a lot of cash.

Smart-fi at its finest :)

I gather from this that iTube2 works in that setup as a buffer?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 3, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #716 of 759
Nov 9, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #717 of 759
I reconnected my A-100 as a headphone amp to connect to my Koss ESP's - I honestly can't tell you why they sound so much better after being ran through the A-100s - but they do. It's so good to have it back; I went without my A-100 for a while after moving for a while. Can't explain the happy ears, but I'll take it!

Nov 10, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #718 of 759
BasX a100 is the cheapest headphone amp that I could use to power these cans. With an ifi itube2 it refines and improves the sound significantly. A raspberry Pi4 streamer cleans up the signal further.

Just curious how the Pi cleans up the signal?

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #719 of 759
BasX a100 is the cheapest headphone amp that I could use to power these cans. With an ifi itube2 it refines and improves the sound significantly. A raspberry Pi4 streamer cleans up the signal further.

Just curious how the Pi cleans up the signal?
While a streamer is generally electrically cleaner compared to music from a laptop/pc, I should also clarify that my Pi4 has an Alo Digione Signature hat which allows me to connect to the DAC via spdif/bnc

Nov 10, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #720 of 759
While a streamer is generally electrically cleaner compared to music from a laptop/pc,

That's true, laptops/PCs are noisy primarily due to their multitasking and power suppies, these are the two major offenders. Streamers are in fact computers, but with a rather narrow specialization and they can be powered by silent PSUs. That's what makes the difference.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back