Emotiva A-100
Mar 21, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #256 of 759
My BasX A100 showed up today and I immediately installed the jumpers. With HD280 Pros there is somewhat significant idle hiss but it seems to go away or be otherwise imperceptible when music is playing. With my HE400i however, there is no noise floor whatsoever. With the TH-X00 there is SOME noise floor not not much, so it appears to vary pretty widely. Overall it sounds GREAT. I'm extremely pleased and can't wait to hear the LCD-2C on it tomorrow.

Mar 21, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #257 of 759
My BasX A100 showed up today and I immediately installed the jumpers. With HD280 Pros there is somewhat significant idle hiss but it seems to go away or be otherwise imperceptible when music is playing. With my HE400i however, there is no noise floor whatsoever. With the TH-X00 there is SOME noise floor not not much, so it appears to vary pretty widely. Overall it sounds GREAT. I'm extremely pleased and can't wait to hear the LCD-2C on it tomorrow.
Glad you like it Schiitmypants. I have a feeling that LCD-2C is going to sound all kinds of fantastic!

Mar 21, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #258 of 759
So after some searching I found an integrated unit that was almost comparable to the mighty Basx A-100 (for the HD600). It was the Mytek Liberty DAC with my HD600. The sound really is quite similar with lots of control. The A-100 has more volume at the extremes but the extremes are really loud - so loud the HD 600 can't really handle it. A headphone that;s meant to soak up more power will probably still beenfit quite a lot from the A-100.

You still have to go through the Mytek DAC so I couldn't just feed it my DC-1. The Mytek DAC is also quite good so there is a slight tonal difference. The Liberty is almost $1000. It's realyl nice and the size is smaller. So if anybody is looking for a more portable use but a really stunning headphone amp, but doesn't mind the price, the liberty is pretty great - for my Sennheisser HD600.

Mar 21, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #259 of 759
I just pickup the LCD2C’s as well...just got ‘em today, can’t wait to hook them up to the Emo tomorrow.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #260 of 759
I just pickup some LCD2C’s as well...just got ‘em today, can’t wait to hook them up to the Emo tomorrow.

I'm excited to compare impressions of the pairing.

Mar 21, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #262 of 759
hey everyone, i just got my a100 to use with my new hd600s that are on the way. testing with my low impedance v moda crossfades i can hear some slight noise coming from the amp, is this normal? Also i am hearing bleed when the volume is all the way down? is this normal for low impedance headphone on an amp when none is needed to drive the cans? thanks for any help. seems like the consensus is to put the jumpers in with the 600s, am I correct? they are currently out right now.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #264 of 759
Does anyone have the Monolith M1060 headphones? How's the noise with the jumpers installed? If it has noise, how much is it compared to headphones around 32 ohm and 100 db/mw sensitivity if you have some to compare? This information is greatly appreciated.

I can't speak to the M1060 directly, but I suspect you'll have some noise floor with the jumpers installed. The TH-X00 Purpleheart is 25ohm 94db/mw and I have some noise floor there. If I'm listening to hip-hop or electronic it's not really an issue, but if I'm gonna listen to some jazz, blues, vocal, classical, etc. anything that relies on a black background, I switch over to my Asgard. There's a little bit of noise floor even with the LCD-2C, so I don't think I'd use the Emotiva as my only amp BUT it's a great supplement to an existing system if you want the option of massive power at the expense of some mild noise floor..

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #265 of 759
I can't speak to the M1060 directly, but I suspect you'll have some noise floor with the jumpers installed. The TH-X00 Purpleheart is 25ohm 94db/mw and I have some noise floor there. If I'm listening to hip-hop or electronic it's not really an issue, but if I'm gonna listen to some jazz, blues, vocal, classical, etc. anything that relies on a black background, I switch over to my Asgard. There's a little bit of noise floor even with the LCD-2C, so I don't think I'd use the Emotiva as my only amp BUT it's a great supplement to an existing system if you want the option of massive power at the expense of some mild noise floor..
Thanks for the examples, this is very helpful.

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #266 of 759
I'm wondering if anyone here has used this amp with the massdrop he-4xx with the jumpers and what their impressions were. Same for the massdrop 6xx cans as I'm considering getting those as well later on. I enjoyed my senn 598 cans a long time ago and I'm considering giving dynamic drivers another go.
Currently I have a marantz receiver which I'm using to power my cans from the headphone jack (also used to power my speakers) but I'm wondering if the 50w would be of benefit to me. My source sorta sucks as it's just my onboard sound from my motherboard but that's a later upgrade.

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #267 of 759
I'm wondering if anyone here has used this amp with the massdrop he-4xx with the jumpers and what their impressions were. Same for the massdrop 6xx cans as I'm considering getting those as well later on. I enjoyed my senn 598 cans a long time ago and I'm considering giving dynamic drivers another go.
Currently I have a marantz receiver which I'm using to power my cans from the headphone jack (also used to power my speakers) but I'm wondering if the 50w would be of benefit to me. My source sorta sucks as it's just my onboard sound from my motherboard but that's a later upgrade.
I use the a-100 with my HD650 and its awesome. Highly recommended. I also use a vintage pioneer receiver with them which sounds just as good, so if your Marantz is vintage it should be fine. Is it?

Apr 4, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #268 of 759
I would say it's older but not consider it "vintage". SR7000 is the model number. I think it's from 1999 or 2000.
I just know I'm wanting a small upgrade when I get my tax return - so I'm going to redo the audio setup. I'd love to use the Marantz as a DAC but it won't allow Optical In to Analog Out.
Amp is next, then probably a 2nd set of headphones, then a DAC. So long as I like the A100 I'll likely just use it for both my speakers and headphones (and move the Marantz - possibly to my wifes computer if she wants it) since I believe I read somewhere it mutes the Speaker Out when headphones are plugged in. I just have to be careful at that point with volume control so I don't blow up a set of headphones. I don't have a proper preamp since my Schiit Sys went out on me for some reason.

Apr 4, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #269 of 759
Exciting news Emotiva is coming out with a new headphone amp! It's balanced and in full class A.
Big Dan announced it
"HP-1 Class A balanced headphone amplifier!

4 watts per channel, discrete Class A design. +/- 27 VDC rails!!!!

Talk about headroom. Great for both low and high impedance headphones. Selectable gain, etc."

Apr 4, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #270 of 759
Exciting news Emotiva is coming out with a new headphone amp! It's balanced and in full class A.
Big Dan announced it
"HP-1 Class A balanced headphone amplifier!

4 watts per channel, discrete Class A design. +/- 27 VDC rails!!!!

Talk about headroom. Great for both low and high impedance headphones. Selectable gain, etc."
I'm not sure what +/-27vdc rails translates to in watts @ 300 ohms and I sure would like to know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back