Emotiva A-100
Feb 4, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #16 of 759
I have the Gen2 that I modded and put a headphone jack in. I use it to power my HE-500. I absolutely love the pairing!

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #17 of 759
I just got a A-100 all I can say this is a very nice amp. Can not tell you about the speaker out put part. I only bought it for a headphone amp to be used with Hifiman HE-400i and man does it do a wonderful job. Great headphone amp.

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #18 of 759
It works wonderfully for planar headphones. It doesn't work well for very sensitive cans, though. When I plugged my TH-X00 or SHP9500 I can hear a constant hiss. With that said I haven't heard anything better to power my HE-500's.

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #20 of 759
It works wonderfully for planar headphones. It doesn't work well for very sensitive cans, though. When I plugged my TH-X00 or SHP9500 I can hear a constant hiss. With that said I haven't heard anything better to power my HE-500's

Well really new amp at a good price .... bad news about noise ... :frowning2: I hate so mouch any noise in my headphone.

Waiting for more review, because i can't send it back easly (I live in europe so ... :frowning2: )

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #21 of 759
It works wonderfully for planar headphones. It doesn't work well for very sensitive cans, though. When I plugged my TH-X00 or SHP9500 I can hear a constant hiss. With that said I haven't heard anything better to power my HE-500's.

Do you like the A-100 more than the Gustard H10 and the Matrix M-Stage HPA-3B with modded OpAmps, especially the Sparkos? I followed you in others threads.

I have the HE-500 and I bought the new version of the Emotiva A-100. I tried it without and with the jumpers and liked it more full power (with the jumpers), probably because my DAC outputs only 1Vrms in line-out (OPPO HA-2SE). I also have the Schiit Magni 2 Uber.

The thing is I find that the sound from the A-100 is less detailed than from the Magni 2 Uber. I went here to look for a better amp for my HE-500's and the Gustard H10 and the Matrix M-Stage HPA-3B attracted my attention. And you had and modded them both. And your latest post on this topic says that you liked the Emotiva the most. I am going in circles :) There is a chance that my A-100 is not burned in enough as it didn't run long but I am not a big believer in burn-in of solid state amps.

And have you ever heard Jotunheim with your HE-500's, balanced or SE?

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #22 of 759
Do you like the A-100 more than the Gustard H10 and the Matrix M-Stage HPA-3B with modded OpAmps, especially the Sparkos? I followed you in others threads.

I have the HE-500 and I bought the new version of the Emotiva A-100. I tried it without and with the jumpers and liked it more full power (with the jumpers), probably because my DAC outputs only 1Vrms in line-out (OPPO HA-2SE). I also have the Schiit Magni 2 Uber.

The thing is I find that the sound from the A-100 is less detailed than from the Magni 2 Uber. I went here to look for a better amp for my HE-500's and the Gustard H10 and the Matrix M-Stage HPA-3B attracted my attention. And you had and modded them both. And your latest post on this topic says that you liked the Emotiva the most. I am going in circles :) There is a chance that my A-100 is not burned in enough as it didn't run long but I am not a big believer in burn-in of solid state amps.

And have you ever heard Jotunheim with your HE-500's, balanced or SE?

I've heard numerous high-end set-ups at the few local Head-Fi meets. I have come back to the a100/HE-500 every time. It just sounds so effortless in its reproduction of music. It's not super sterile, not super bass, not the biggest soundstage, but very balanced.
I really want to minimize the space used at my listening station. I'm trying to find a all in one solution that doesn't break the bank. I'm hoping the Gustard a20h will meet my needs.

The modded HPA3-B with the Sparkos is a very smooth presentation. It also has a lower noise floor than the a100.

I'll say the a100 and HE-500 did sound less detailed at first. I even posted I believe in this very thread stating that. But once I spent some time with it I realized all the details are there, but not as forward as other amps tend to make them.

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #23 of 759

I have been doing this for over 15 years and this combination is by far the best. And in fact the only one I listen to. The HE 400i also work with this amp but after the Edition X i no longer listen to them and gave them to my kid. I have tried the A-100 with the jumpers in place and did not care for with the HEX with out them the amp is complety silent and for me the best soild state I have heard. Considering the price and the price of most of whats out there a joke. I would much rather spend money on something else. Not a lot of bells and wistles but as far as just plain good sound cant be beat. It does remind me of a real nice old reciever from the 70-80s with out the old and the big size and now a days the big price. Look how many guys who use to have all kinds of big headphone amps only have those big receivers now. And this answers the proble with out the size and age. Perfect in my thought. Just my 2 cents.. Oh side note ditch the little 18awg cord that comes with the amp and get something with at least 14awg or 12 makes a big diffrence is sounstage and details. That is for those of use who believe in such thigs all others need not bother.

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #24 of 759
I did remove the 220ohm resistors and replaced them with 32 ohm models. It sounds better and I still get a little ways to move the volume knob.

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #25 of 759
An after thought to my post above. While the A-100 makes a great headphone amp the more I listen to the edition X I have come to the conculsion you can play them through any thing and they sound good. They may sound diffrent through diffrent amps but I have yet to find one they sound bad. So the amp is cool but alot of the cool has to be given to the headphones. Just dont want to mislead any one about this set up.

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #29 of 759
I got a Pangea AC-14 C-7 from Audio Advisor I think they still have them on sale. I got the 1 meter one makes a big diffrence and is really a cool looking cable. Way nice. I have other cables cost way more but for what ever reason this one works best on this amp. The other ones I have to use an adapter this Pangea one has a C7 end works perfect.

Mar 16, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #30 of 759
I own both mini x and BAS X. BAS X replaced Gustard H10 w/Burson op v5 upgrade as my go to head amp. BAS X is more v shaped and dynamic than mini x, which I actually prefer with headphones. Emotiva told me they changed op amps and "made a few upgrades" when I asked about the sound signature change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back