Emotional Amp under $300? + some other advices please
Sep 30, 2007 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

lolos

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Every time I search this forum, I become more confused than ever! However, I am grateful that head-fi members, like Mrarroyo :), to keep helping me every time I turn to their advice.

I am looking for an amp (I don't care if it is portable or not... tube/SS, or hybrid) that is under $300 (used or new) that gives me my first eargasm... I have been trying to have an eargasm for 2 years now!

I listen to all types of music except Metal and Hard Rock. To be honest, not all of my music collection are lossless, some are but many are not. Also, I use my laptop and mp3 player (I have several) as source for most of the time. I stopped carrying CDs long time ago.

Currently I am trying to obtain ATH-W11JPN or ATH-W10VTG for what I read about them regarding their magical vocal presentation and warm emotional airy sound.

I have tried the Stax-001 PKII but I found it to be TOO warm (dull) and not airy/vocals were not forward nor fun to my liking. Also, it didn't have enough bass to keep me going... not to mention its uncomfortable fit!!

Back to topic, the purpose of this thread is to find that amp:
1- Under $300
2- Emotional vocals
3- Good bass
4- Warm/rich (soft and not too thick)
5- Airy
6- Good amount of detail but not analytical (I want to be submerged into the music)
7- No bright highs/mellow
8- Yet, not too boring
^ I don't know if these make any sense!

I don't care about anything as long as I reach what I am looking for, and meets my limited budget.

I know many will recommend that I change my source first, but I don't have enough money for a good enough source, especially, that I listen to my mp3 player for most of the time because it is convenient.

Just a side note, the smaller/simpler the better, the cheaper the greater the value.
biggrin.gif

Thanks a bunch and sorry for the long post!

IMPORTANT: I don't consider myself an audiophile by any means. I don't think I have fine ears to distinguish between 128 bitrate Vs. 320 bitrate MP3s, for instance. Sometimes, I even enjoy the sound of cheap radio transistors just because I feel it is so analog! Also, I prefer full size speakers to headphones.

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 20
Currently, I am using Ultrasone ULE HFI 2200, Senn HD25-1, and Yuin PK1... I know these are not the best cans but I am planning on upgrading to a better can, especially the ATH-W11jpn or ATH-W10VTG if I got the chance.

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 20
Go lossless at least!
I don't think there is an emotional amp under $300 or I would have bought it by now! The only emotion under $300 is REGRET that you didn't spend more and now you have to sell your amp! Three sets of phones and no amp? I'm only speaking from my own experience (or lack of it) regarding amps.
Please understand this is a friendly suggestion. If you can get a little cash by selling one or two of your cans then you can spend the $400 + needed to get good amplification. I've been looking for awhile and with shipping included I've yet to see (or hear about) an amp that sounds like the one I want under $400.
600smile.gif

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 20
I am going to sell ALL of my current headphones once I get the right headphone/combo. I am only keeping them because I didn't find better headphones under my budget. I have tried HD580 and HD650 but both required a very demanding setup than I could afford and didn't like their initial impression on me. Again, this may be due to amping them from my Xin supermacro v6 which wasn't a good match to HD650.

Sep 30, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #6 of 20
HD600s and 650s are VERY different cans. I listened to both at the Toronto headfi meet and decided, (with help from someone who has owned many and varied cans) that I wanted the 600s. It wasn't the best place to listen and I HAVE been tempted to get some 650s but recently bought another set of 600s with a Cardas cable. I just don't get how anyone couldn't like the sound of these headphones. (But to each his own!)
600smile.gif

Sep 30, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #9 of 20
Similar to jimmy8269... the LDII+ is also very good, and slightly cheaper. It has a more euphonic sound and is lots of fun. I don't think you'll complain about the price either!

I know someone will chime in here about arcing problems, but if you can get one second hand, then the current owner can let you know if it has the problem or not. Replacing the power tubes seems to fix this problem anyway.

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #10 of 20
Hi from sunny Miami Beach ( although today it is raining). Given your criteria above I would strongly suggest an used Musical Fidelity X-Can V2. They sell from $140 to $190 including S&H. Then I would:

1. Go to www.jameco.com to order Jameco P/N 167151. This PSU provides 1.5 amps versus the 0.5 amps of the stock PSU. It will help improve the bass, transients, and overall presentation. It sells for $7.59 plus S&H.
2. Get a pair of matched Russian 6H23-EB tubes. You can find them in various places like in: http://www.upscaleaudio.com/product....id=49&catid=42 These tubes sell from $30 to $60 a pair plus S&H.

So if you do the above you end up spending from $200 to $275. The sound will be very organic, warm, with great punch. The next level would be to buy the PinkFloyd kit plus his heat sink kit, better headphone jack, and a better volume pot. This items will set you back $125 and you have to install them. Which by the way is quite easy w/ the instructions he provides. With this changes you will be in a total bliss.

I currently have my V2 on loan, if you can wait a month or so we could talk about me loaning you the amp. The only difference is that I have a Little Pinkie PSU instead of the PSU from Jameco.

Good luck.

Oct 1, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #11 of 20
Thanks guys!

I posted a WTB thread for either LD II ++ or Musical Fidelity X-Can V2... whatever offer comes first, it will be my amp
smily_headphones1.gif

My next step is to purchase iriver H120 (again) and have a good DAC under $350. Then sell my headphones and buy woody headphone
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #12 of 20
The two posts by mrarroyo & GZ76 give you the best 2 choices depending on what you want to spend. Both amps are lush and euphonic. The earlier X-can more will have detail and still retain the warmth. The LDII+ is pure unadultrated Directly Heated Triode on a peanut butter budget, but get the Russian output tubes to eliminate any chance of arching. It won't have quite the detail of x-can but it will suck you in at an emotional level you are not used to. And what it is is where it stays. There is no upgrade path as with the X-can. Either amp will fulfill your wish.

Oct 1, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I currently have my V2 on loan, if you can wait a month or so we could talk about me loaning you the amp. The only difference is that I have a Little Pinkie PSU instead of the PSU from Jameco.

Good luck.

Thanks Miguel so much for your generous offer. You gotta love the Head-fi community
lambda.gif

I just bought the LD II ++ and waiting for it in the mail...
icon10.gif

What should be the next wise step?

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #15 of 20
Which is going to quickly suck away your money like no tomorrow.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back