Emmeline "The Shadow"
Oct 29, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #616 of 999
Does it have that "new amp smell"?

How is the digital volume control. Is it user friendly?

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #617 of 999
very first impression - just noting what strikes me compared to the other RSA amps I have:
- the width of the sound stage is remarkable
- instruments separation is also something I feel superior to my other amps (see my signature)
- not sure how to describe that one, but there's some kind of depth (maybe related to the better instruments separation?) added: I definitely can tell some instruments are played closer or further to me as the listener. It adds a cool 3d feel...
- btw, without anything attached to it, I can hear some very slight white noise when the amp is powered
- very subjective (as the rest), but the sound of the shadow seems a tiny bit warmer than the sr-71's
- the digital volume control is really cool: no noise or any distortion whatsoever when increasing/decreasing the volume

forgot to mention that I was using my ihp-120 and shure se530 for that quick run.

anyway, nothing to be disappointed about so far! I was hesitant before purchasing that amp, but now I'm glad I did it. Excellent work, Ray.
back to listening...

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #618 of 999
Quote:

How is the digital volume control. Is it user friendly?

yes, no problem at all. I initially had some concern that it might be tricky with my relatively big fingers, but the tiny "lever" (sorry, I don't know how to call that...) protrudes right enough to move the volume up and down without a problem.
only thing is that there's nothing to visually tell you at what volume level you're at, but this is not too much of an inconvenience.

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #619 of 999
Out of box impressions sound good indeed.. Thanks for posting them, premature as it may be to request observations at this point. I'm hoping to be able to add mine tomorrow.

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #620 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have posted in this thread you are entitled to one amp regardless of the count.
Ray Samuels

please reserve one for me Ray. and thanks for the continued great work.

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #621 of 999
I got my shadow and I am confuse. The manual mention aadaptor/charger terminated to a USB plug and can be charged from any computer but the charger is actual for normal power....Do I suppose to use noraml USB cable if I want to charge the battery from computer?

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #622 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just got mine too. Thank you, Ray.
(but as usual, Fedex sucks, they carelessely left the pkg laying on the floor next to the door... oh well)
Haven't had time to listen to it yet, but first visual impression: wow, that thing IS small! Smaller than I thought it would be based on the pictures on here.

ok, time to give it a try...

i wish fedex could do that to me =| instead i got notices

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #623 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by haycheng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my shadow and I am confuse. The manual mention aadaptor/charger terminated to a USB plug and can be charged from any computer but the charger is actual for normal power....Do I suppose to use noraml USB cable if I want to charge the battery from computer?

You can charge the Shadow either from the USB on the computer or from the adapter that plugs into AC.

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #625 of 999
Hello jamato8,

did't you have a shadow prototype you listened to for a while now? That should be very close, if not even identical (soundwise) to what we are all salivating about....

so on your list:
Portable amp ratings: *1. P-51 Mustang*2. SR-71A* iBasso D10 *iBasso P3, *3. iBasso D3 *3b RSA Predator *3. Xin Micro *4 iBasso T4, iBasso D1

where to you put the shadow and why....I bet it is not all black and white anyway
tongue.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #626 of 999
Mine just arrived seconds ago. That's pretty damn quick to the UK IMO. Thanks Ray and thanks to Fed-Ex too!!! Just about to unpack it.

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #627 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From ALO, ALO Audio, I got mine from them, and use the Whiplash mini to mini Cryo Silver, fantastic set up and sound from my iMod and JH13 (and new Shadow).

Did you make any headway with Whiplash with respect to some low profile and/or right angle mini-mini cables?

BTW, I noticed Whiplash charges more for their min-mini Cryo than their LOD. Anyway, I plan to use my current ALO Cryo iMod cable until I figure out exactly how I want to combine my iMod and Shadow. I suspect the Hippocase will be too big.

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #629 of 999
How long do these amps take to fully-charge via USB please?

Oct 29, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #630 of 999
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pale Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you make any headway with Whiplash with respect to some low profile and/or right angle mini-mini cables?

BTW, I noticed Whiplash charges more for their min-mini Cryo than their LOD. Anyway, I plan to use my current ALO Cryo iMod cable until I figure out exactly how I want to combine my iMod and Shadow. I suspect the Hippocase will be too big.

Craig said he would be happy to do anything we would request, I think a 6 in. rt angle mini to mini would be great. The regular mini to mini is $70. I bet this would be around the same. I think the LOD is cheaper or the same price as the mini to mini because the connectors he uses are really high quality and likely the line in to the iPod costs less than the mini connector.

More on topic, only 20 hours of burn in and the amp is opening up, comparing nicely to the predator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back