EMM Labs TSD1 + DAC2 officially revealed!!!!
Nov 20, 2008 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

didwlgh

500+ Head-Fier
The already famous EMM Labs has brought a new combo:

EMM Labs TSD1 + DAC2

We've had some info about them before, and they finally put them up on their website. I've noticed two empty slots on the "audiophile products" menu for the past week, and have been waiting for the official release.

Can't imagine how much better it would be.

They look a lot better than the CDSD SE + DCC2 SE combo I own too.

Time for upgrade??? =)

front.jpg

back.jpg

front.jpg

back.jpg

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 37
Nice! I like the new looks. Also no longer a preamp like the DCC2. I want to do some reading but do no upgrade bug yet.
ph34r.gif
I also like the high/low output level for preamp matching.

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #5 of 37
One thing I had not noticed/remembered at first was the PC Audio usb input on the DAC2. I know people pointed that out in HugoFreire's earlier thread but that is cool to have on the DAC2. I have used it less as a straight-up dac for Squeezebox or AE usage than I should have but a straight usb input makes the hard drive option damn easy.

Nov 21, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #6 of 37
I'm curious about the dropping of the word clock out vs the DCC2, meaning that the DAC 2 can't act as a word clock master to a digital transport with a word clock in. So we're back to extracting clock + data from the same S/PDIF (or USB) input.

The product blurb on the web site says:

it's the first converter to feature our proprietary new MFAST™ (Meitner Frequency Acquisition System) technology.

MFAST™ vs. conventional PLLs

Most converters utilize PLL (Phase Locked Loop) circuits. MFAST™ has two distinct advantages. It's a high-speed asynchronous system that locks almost instantaneously to any data stream. Moreover, unlike PLLs which merely attenuate jitter, MFAST™ strips jitter out of the audio stream completely

Hmm, Anybody know anything more about this approach? Enquiring minds want to know.

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #7 of 37
if it is like the other products from them, looks are great, but the sound is nothing special, to me anyway.

the first rev .. MK1 converters(the ugly black boxes!) sounded much better than current offerings.

if im paying that much, id much rather get something else..

Quote:

Originally Posted by didwlgh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The already famous EMM Labs has brought a new combo:

EMM Labs TSD1 + DAC2

We've had some info about them before, and they finally put them up on their website. I've noticed two empty slots on the "audiophile products" menu for the past week, and have been waiting for the official release.

Can't imagine how much better it would be.

They look a lot better than the CDSD SE + DCC2 SE combo I own too.

Time for upgrade??? =)

front.jpg

back.jpg

front.jpg

back.jpg

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #8 of 37
This combo is the only source upgrade I would do from my CDSA.
I actually see it somewhere in my (distant?) future...
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 37
Any idea about (a) availability and (b) price ?

I have my CDSA SE (2008 version) just for a few months so I think I am going to wait. But still it is good to know how much I will have to save up
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by didwlgh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DAC2 MSRP is $9,500 US
TSD1 MSRP is $11,000 US

Ummm.... Looks cheaper that the current flag ship SE ?

Or these are not meant to be the new flag ship ?

F. Lo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back