EML 5U4G Mesh Plate VS. NOS Tubes VS. Sophia Princess 274B Mesh Plate WA22
Nov 26, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #31 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always have some Mullard and Brimar CV4003 around. I bet a lots of people want to find out about this.

Glenn is good guy sell good stuffs for good price. All my adapters are made by him.

Remember the time Singlepower charged twice the price as glenn for same kind of adapters? People still order them left and right like no tommorrow.

Could you provide a link to Glenn's adaptor please?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 27, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #33 of 184
EML is better if you listen to "soft" music. Sondstage is better, and have more air than any other NOS tubes. They do bass, they go deep, but it is the "clean" and "little lean" kind especially mid bass. The bass impact with WA22 EML maybe well enough compare to other amps. But WA22 is capable hiting harder. For people only listen to classical, vocal, and even classical rock (beatles like), etc, EML is better. For people like me always want to rock out and listen classical, and vocal on the side, EML is ONLY not worthy its price tag. I just do not want people to missunderstood my review.

Since I only have HD650 which is known for have more bass than HD800. For HD800 owners EML less impact issue may become bigger problem there.

Correction: I misjudged the 53KU/CV378. that was a mistake I shound not use different CD to do the review, and should use old CD that I have listend 100+ times. They are not as good as once I put old CD in. I am very sorry about this, because WA22 sound so good, I often easily lost in the music. Still Mullard GZ34 offfers most impact, but sound cool, user beware. 5AS4 still hanging on good.

I ordered 5Z3 made in Italy, that is going be fun.

6F8G and 6FG7/6FQ7 I have used for long, the review is very accurate, do not worry.

Nov 27, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #34 of 184
Quote:

EML is better if you listen to "soft" music. Sondstage is better, and have more air than any other NOS tubes. They do bass, they go deep, but it is the "clean" and "little lean" kind especially mid bass.

My solution - pair it with a naturally bassy can like the HF-2. Slam AND air
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #35 of 184
I just ordered a Mullard GZ37 and Brimar 5Z4G. Now all I need is my WA22 and I'll see if I can play along with Seamaster. I won't be able to describe the subtleties like he can but I know I'll have fun comparing my experience with his notes. I've already gotten the 6F8G and 6FG7/6FQ7 adapters and tubes too. Hey, Seamaster, what was the cost of those heatsinks?

Nov 28, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #36 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My solution - pair it with a naturally bassy can like the HF-2. Slam AND air
biggrin.gif

The thing is I do not like Grado. I had RS1 for a few month, and sold it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton SF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered a Mullard GZ37 and Brimar 5Z4G. Now all I need is my WA22 and I'll see if I can play along with Seamaster. I won't be able to describe the subtleties like he can but I know I'll have fun comparing my experience with his notes. I've already gotten the 6F8G and 6FG7/6FQ7 adapters and tubes too. Hey, Seamaster, what was the cost of those heatsinks?

All three for $54 USD shipped. They came from California, made in Japan. As heatshink they doing very good job, But very fragile. Some fins were bent when I got them from UPS.

Nov 30, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #37 of 184
Quote:

Correction: I misjudged the 53KU/CV378. that was a mistake I shound not use different CD to do the review, and should use old CD that I have listend 100+ times. They are not as good as once I put old CD in. I am very sorry about this, because WA22 sound so good, I often easily lost in the music. Still Mullard GZ34 offfers most impact, but sound cool, user beware. 5AS4 still hanging on good.

So how do you rank the Mulard gz37 now? Have you tried the Sophia 274B and the NOS SED 5U4-G (5U3C) Black Plate by chance?

Nov 30, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #38 of 184
GZ37 is kind soft, not bad at all if you can get it around $50~$60. Not as warm as 5AS4, not as dynamic as GZ34, not as airy as EML. It's weakness, well I really have to swap many times to find out, is the upper mid range is very little kind unnatural only by compare with other tubes. 53KU/CV378 share a lot of sound signatures with EML just does little less for everything especially in highs. It is just there does its job, never draw attention to itself, that's why at one point I was mistaking it was better tube.

If I listen GZ34, I would swap to a pair of warm cable. GZ34 is fun. 5AS4 is musial with great detail. EML has wide soundstage and airy, mid bass down, is little soft, unless your CD recorded have decent bass already.

Never tried the Sophia 274B and the NOS SED 5U4-G. I personally never had good luck with Russian and Chinese tubes.

Dec 4, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #40 of 184
Any comment on sylvania 7236??

Dec 4, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #42 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any comment on sylvania 7236??

I have the stock GE 6AS7 and the Sylvania 7236 power tubes & I prefer the latter. The stock tubes sound more compressed to me, whilst the soundstage opens up nicely with the Sylvanias. The Sylvanias also provide about double the output, which makes this a very powerful amp. In fact, almost too much...my maximum listening volume with balanced HD800s is only five steps up on the volume pot. If your prefered level is in between steps, the Sylvanias might present a problem.

Dec 4, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #43 of 184
Quote:

Why not GEC 6080? They are not expensive at all. Get the best.

Sylvania is recommended in woo site which is why I asked. So gec is better?

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #44 of 184
Woo also recommend Shuguang CV1988 for around $300 USD. A pair of real NOS CV1988 only cost $200~$250 on ebay. My point is Sylvania is more avaliable than GEC for Woo to stock. Woo's recommendation is based on what is most avaliable and "Better" for the amp, not "the best do can do for the amp".

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #45 of 184
Make sense. Did I miss your impression on that tube (GEC) in the previous thread? I will have to re-read. :wink:

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back