Eminem - Beautiful sounds distorted on all my sources... is the song just mastered that poorly?
Oct 10, 2012 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

thapchild

Head-Fier
I can't stand when artists use a "distorted" bass line/beat in their songs, I've listened to this track on my PC, iPhone, and the beat just sounds distorted.

Why would they master the song with that little headroom? or do you think that was done intentionally, i can't imagine doing that purposely.

If you have a spotify or another streaming service, listen to it, even on extreme 320kbps quality, still sounds like crap.

I'm tempted to buy the CD just to see if it was mastered that way.

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 10
Don’t worry, it’s the same on my WA6 + Beyer DT880 600 and iPhone 4S + FiiO E11 + Vsonic GR07 (Apple Lossless)

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 10
Its sound not distortion but its awfully sound like distortion if listen with low bitrates...........

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 10
This is why I only trust buying my own CDs and making sure that it's done correctly. I managed to Rip every single album of his to FLAC from borrowing my friends Collection, even though I have a few CDs of him myself.

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 10
try check if its transcoded
http://www.r3z4prof.me/2010/10/what-is-a-transcoded-music-file/

Transcoded FLAC < MP3 320KBPS that you ripped by yrselves

Oct 11, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
try check if its transcoded
http://www.r3z4prof.me/2010/10/what-is-a-transcoded-music-file/

Transcoded FLAC < MP3 320KBPS that you ripped by yrselves

I bought the album on iTunes, as well as listened to it on my Spotify Premium account, then watched the video on youtube, all sound distorted (to me).  So last night I downloaded a FLAC, checked it with AudioChecker and confirmed it was CDDA, it was... still sounds distorted on my PC, and iPhone.  What a shame.  Just horrible mastering (i'd assume) unless they actually produced it with a ****ty base line that sounds distorted.  I honestly can't listen to the song, even though I love it.  (presses skip)

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 10
I don't know if it's necessarily 'poorly mastered', as most mastering engineers can only do what their clients tell them to do, even if it's to the album's detriment, though Eminem albums are usually pretty terrible in that regard. IIRC, his 'Recovery' album is especially bad --- just overly compressed in every aspect and horribly sibilant. It was basically mastered for bad car radios. I think 'Beautiful' does suffer from harsh compression as well, especially in the bass, where it bottoms out pretty early. The drums used in the track inherently don't have particularly good ultra-low presence anyway, so the compression effect is especially apparent. If you want, open the FLAC file up in waveform and look at how early it bottoms out. The track should have pretty poor dynamic range.

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
I don't know if it's necessarily 'poorly mastered', as most mastering engineers can only do what their clients tell them to do, even if it's to the album's detriment, though Eminem albums are usually pretty terrible in that regard. IIRC, his 'Recovery' album is especially bad --- just overly compressed in every aspect and horribly sibilant. It was basically mastered for bad car radios. I think 'Beautiful' does suffer from harsh compression as well, especially in the bass, where it bottoms out pretty early. The drums used in the track inherently don't have particularly good ultra-low presence anyway, so the compression effect is especially apparent. If you want, open the FLAC file up in waveform and look at how early it bottoms out. The track should have pretty poor dynamic range.

I just don't understand why they do that.  You can play some old Rage and it sounds beautiful, then you thrown on almost any pop/rap song made in the last 3 years and it sounds like crap.

Hopefully we won't have to endure this too long before either compression technology gets better, or artists get over the fad.

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #9 of 10
I bought the album on iTunes, as well as listened to it on my Spotify Premium account, then watched the video on youtube, all sound distorted (to me).  So last night I downloaded a FLAC, checked it with AudioChecker and confirmed it was CDDA, it was... still sounds distorted on my PC, and iPhone.  What a shame.  Just horrible mastering (i'd assume) unless they actually produced it with a ****ty base line that sounds distorted.  I honestly can't listen to the song, even though I love it.  (presses skip)
download it in FLAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back