emi and bmg are joining the dark side
Nov 15, 2002 at 6:40 PM Post #31 of 42
yeah, doesnt help now that republicans now control the senate n crap either, they have always been pro corporation. the sad thing is, after a fashion, people voted their rights away in return for so called "national security" when they let the republicans win alot of those votes.

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:42 AM Post #34 of 42
i had the feeling double posts would appear.
tongue.gif

Nov 16, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #35 of 42
I rip all CDs I buy so I can listen to all my albums on my PC without swapping CDs all the time. I want my music on my work PC as well, I can't carry all my CDs around neither can I spend worktime swapping CDs. I also sometimes listen to my music with my PocketPC while travelling. Taking my entire music collection with me on the notebook during holidays is also great.

So: If I can't rip a CD, I have no use for it and will not buy it.

I have no doubt that every copy protection scheme will be broken, and CD writer manufactors / ripping software developers will quicky release products that make ripping any new copy protection scheme as easy as clicking a button.

What I'm afraid of is that laws one day will make any attempt of reverse engineering copy protection, working around copy protection etc. highly illegal. If it is not already illegal. Pretty much everybody steals music. Cause they know nobody is gonna sue them for doing so, nobody will throw them in prision etc. You could also temper with your phone line to get free calls, obtain illegal cable TV etc., but that would probably have serious consequences if you're getting caught. So what if some day RIAA can sue you to pay the 'damages' you've caused etc. ? I see this coming slowly.

greetings,
Tim

Nov 17, 2002 at 6:50 AM Post #37 of 42
I find it interesting that most people who object to copy protection insist that their "rights" are being violated. I won't state my own position. Rather, I will ask a few questions: What "rights" do you feel are being violated, why do you think you have those rights, and from where do you believe they originate?

Don't pop off a quick reply. Think about it. We often feel we have rights but don't often take the time to think about what they are and why we have them.

Here are a few other questions to help stimulate thought and discussion. Suppose that I own an item that you want. Further suppose that I offer to sell it you. What rights do I have as a seller and you as a buyer? How are those rights decided and protected? Do I have the right as the owner of the item to place *any* price I want on it? Can I as owner offer to sell it to you with some restrictions - such as, you cannot make a copy of it for any reason? If not, why not?

Nov 17, 2002 at 7:21 AM Post #38 of 42
The seller has the right to impose any silly price and restriction on products it sell. As consumers we have the right to point and laugh at their stupidity and refuse to buy their stuff.

smily_headphones1.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 17, 2002 at 9:45 AM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Gallaine
I find it interesting that most people who object to copy protection insist that their "rights" are being violated. I won't state my own position. Rather, I will ask a few questions: What "rights" do you feel are being violated, why do you think you have those rights, and from where do you believe they originate? Don't pop off a quick reply. Think about it.

Thanks sincerely for your fatherly attempt to place parochial restrictions on the speed of my speculative thought.

I'll "pop off" a reply as rapidly as you have combined thoughtless gravity with muddy parallelism, thank you very much. Excessive chin-stroking is a mannerism, not an indication of the possible depth of your speculations.

Your first mistake is in presuming that consumers' rights constitute something abstract, absolute and remote -- like the Platonic world, for example, or heaven, or the possible immortality of the soul. Whereas the right to private ownership is specific and constitutional. For instance: Early legal disputes focused primarilty on land. Land is not an absolute, it is a fixed commodity, the ownership of which is subject to laws. Same thing with sound recordings: The lessening of music owners' rights (not "violation" -- that is your ad hominem phrase, not mine) comes from an extension of the idea of intellectual property, which was created to protect artists' ideas but is now being extended to encompass individual *copies* of ideas that were bought (not rented, not borrowed) by the consumer.

If you're going to blame someone for the vagary of this interpretation of legal property, then blame record company lawyers for advancing the idea that one borrows rather than owns a thing even if one purchases it legally. The conflation of abstract and concrete ownership is a result of lawyers' shoddy thinking, not mine or that of anyone else who has posted on this thread.

Quote:

We often feel we have rights but don't often take the time to think about what they are and why we have them.

1. We often resort to ad hominem when we presume to speak for others (which is what you just did). 2. Your logical fallacy is here: (to paraphrase) "Our mistake is in feeling we have rights . . . but not knowing we have them." Your original point was that you felt we didn't necessarily have these rights at all, that they were too vague to actually exist. Yet now you say we actually have these rights. Which is it?

Quote:

Here are a few other questions to help stimulate thought and discussion. Suppose that I own an item that you want. Further suppose that I offer to sell it you. What rights do I have as a seller and you as a buyer? How are those rights decided and protected? Do I have the right as the owner of the item to place *any* price I want on it? Can I as owner offer to sell it to you with some restrictions - such as, you cannot make a copy of it for any reason? If not, why not?

Your example doesn't apply to the discussion, which is not about record companies wanting to sell us a copy-protected CD. It is about their attempt to make it illegal for anyone else to sell anything else. If you'd paid attention to what I said before, you'd have noticed the distinction.

Your mistake is in presuming that the violation occurs at the *seller's* level, whereas the violation I've been objecting to occurs at the *legislative* level. The problem is not that EMI wants to implement copy protection, since we as buyers are at liberty to decide whether or not to purchase from them. The problem is that the legal machinations of EMI, et al., are resulting in a redefinition of the rights of *all* musical property, including those of musicians not affiliated with EMI, those of other record companies that do not chooose to implement copy protection and those of the inventors of other recordig technologies.

The mania to control is responsible for other transgressions in the name of the principle of intellectual property, such as the genetic engineering of single-crop foods to prevent people from planting seeds.

To reiterate: I am against EMI not because they are attempting to implement copy protection but because they are attempting to make copy protection de rigeur for everyone. This is already having its effect on the technology of personal recorders.

The presumption is that, because a machine is capable of recording material from a copy protected disk, its recording capability ought to be crippled. Thus, even a company that wishes to research and market such a device for musicians to use to record their own music faces legal opposition.

Until recently, our rights as consumers have been specific and concrete. But the apparently abstract issues of the digital age have allowed lawyers and lobbyists to make the specific vague and so to attach to that issue the very ill-reasoned indignation of which Gallaine has accused "people" on this thread.

Had I objected to EMI's right to sell copy-protected CDs, then Joe Blogg's comment might have borne relevance to the issue we were discussing as well. If my complaint were that simple, I'd gladly defer. But what we're really discussing is our right to buy uncopyrighted music from *other labels*, as well as uncrippled digital recording devices and anything else that allows us to modify in any way a thing that we *already own*.

Ask yourself these simple questions, if you like: If I buy a drawing and am asked by the artist not to make a xerox copy, am I legally bound not to do so? Is there a difference between my making a copy for my personal files and making a copy to sell to someone else? If I choose to hang a copy of a painting on the wall and keep the original in a safe, should I be subject to legal action even though I own that painting? If the artist creates a kind of paint that cannot be photographed, is s/he not chipping away at my rights of ownership generally by attempting to make it illegal for any artist to use any other kind of paint?

Nov 17, 2002 at 7:59 PM Post #40 of 42
Scrypt, slow-down there skippy and take a deep breath, cool-off, and attempt to regain your usual eloquence. I appreciate your thought provoking post - at least to the extent that I can separate the personal attacks from the answers to my post. You may not agree with my approach to this discussion but perhaps you should reread your last post and consider if yours is any better. If there was a personal attack directed at anyone in my original post it was unintentional. Yours however was deliberate and I do not appreciate it. I hope that it was a momentary lapse and that we can continue discussions in a more civil manner.

You could easily have pointed out the "faults" in my post without resorting to personal snipes. Even if you felt that I was attacking you in particular why not give me the benefit of the doubt since it is often difficult to perceive a posters intentions - especially from a single post.

Nov 18, 2002 at 6:00 PM Post #41 of 42
I'm going to try to be especially scrupulous and not even look at G's reply for the simple reason that my first reply to him (or her) was too impolite. It's something I only realized in retrospect.

Nothing personal, G -- it isn't that your post's unworthy of a read (let alone a response). Only, I feel I brought the tone of this thread down a notch by posting in an irritable mood and so the gentlemanly thing for me to do at this point would be to disengage entirely. I don't know if you took offense at my last post or not, but if you did, I apologize.

That's it. I'm not even going to reread this post to see if the grammar's correct because the last thing we need on Head-fi's another flame war.

Nov 19, 2002 at 1:02 AM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Gallaine
I find it interesting that most people who object to copy protection insist that their "rights" are being violated. I won't state my own position. Rather, I will ask a few questions: What "rights" do you feel are being violated, why do you think you have those rights, and from where do you believe they originate?

Don't pop off a quick reply. Think about it. We often feel we have rights but don't often take the time to think about what they are and why we have them.

Gallaine
I agree with you. I'm very much on the side of a business owner's rights - to the point that I'm opposed to many of our existing laws that prevents businesses from turning away clients for whatever reason they wish and to the point that I'm offended that they have to pay for outrageously priced equipment as a government mandate for accessibility. Free market my ass.

So, not only do agree but I probably feel more strongly than you do about it.

My right is this -- the right to buy or not to buy a product. If you want to try to sell me a software product with ridiculous contractual restrictions on fair use, that's fine - I just won't buy it. I'll buy someone else's who doesn't have such silliness included in the license.

As it currently stands, the law does not protect a license holder's right to require a user to not make a copy. The law allows for fair use provisions. The law, however, does also not prevent a license holder from putting ridiculous copy protection schemes on his product. So, again, I have a right to either buy or not buy them. And, in truth, I also have a legal right to defeat the license holder's copy protection scheme so long as the fruits of my labor fall under fair use. (In other words, they spend money on goofy protections, I read a newsgroup and defeat the copy protection (with an inkpen these days), I make my CDRs and.ape files at my leisure. This is the way it currently works.)

These laws may change. In my utopia, the world would have no laws restricting licensing agreements and the consumer base would simply be more educated and pickier. In such a world, I imagine MicroSoft would go out of business. Casualties, ah well. Guess it'd be time to learn to use a unix shell. Elect me as the next Leader of Earth and it shall be done.

Til then, I'll just vote with my wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back