Emerson Lake & Palmer
Sep 26, 2001 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

JMT

JMT Audio:PPA/META42 Amp Factory
I started re-listening to some old Emerson Lake & Palmer. I have to admit that I forgot how great this trio was. So far I only have 4 on CD: Trilogy, Tarkus, Pictures At An Exhibition, and Brain Salad Surgery. I just ordered: The Works - Volume 1 and Greatest Hits - Live. Any other old ELP fans out there?

Sep 27, 2001 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 11
...is the next CD I'd add to your short list. I have great memories of ELP from the early 70's-- back when they were still doing shows in small venues. I saw them in a college gymnasium in 1973 or 1974. If you like ELP, you probably also would appreciate King Crimson--Greg Lake was on their 1969 "In the Court of the Crimson King" album.
I really miss the concept albums of the 70's, groups like Yes, Genesis (when Peter Gabriel was still the frontman), and of course, Pink Floyd.
There is a DVD/CD of "Pictures at an Exhibition" available, try http://www.emersonlakepalmer.com for it and more.

Sep 27, 2001 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 11
I remember a show in the mid to early 70s that was on late Friday nights called "In Concert." That was the only time I saw ELP perform. What impressed me was how they sounded on their albums was how they sounded "live." I remember them playing Hoedown, and Fanfare for the Common Man.

I also remember Keith Emerson's baby grand rising into the air and start spinning head over heels while he was playing.

Sep 29, 2001 at 9:46 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
I started re-listening to some old Emerson Lake & Palmer. I have to admit that I forgot how great this trio was. So far I only have 4 on CD: Trilogy, Tarkus, Pictures At An Exhibition, and Brain Salad Surgery. I just ordered: The Works - Volume 1 and Greatest Hits - Live. Any other old ELP fans out there?

That's funny, I have exactly the same albums you do. I used to have the one they recorded with Cozy Powell, wich in my oppinion is quite good, and Powell gives E.L.P. an incredible amount of energy. Maybe you should check it out. I also have the tape they recorded as "3", with a guy named Robert Berry taking the place of, if I remember correctly, Greg Lake. Not so good if you compare it with E.L.P., more into the Asia context if you will.

I have been eyeing a box set called "Return of the Manticore", maybe you should also look for it. Take care JMT.

Sep 29, 2001 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 11
Yeah, I cut my prog teeth on them.

Used to like 'em a whole lot more 'an Yes, but I prefer Yes now. Maybe it's because they're still together and making good music.

IMHO, AFAIAC, you have the important four. The first album is good, too. The live album is good too.

Sep 29, 2001 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT

Works - Vol 1 is definitely my favorite because I think it accentuates each individual but as part of the group. (If that makes sense
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Oct 1, 2001 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Works - Vol 1 is definitely my favorite

I agree, been listening to it for the past few days now. It's recorded surprisingly well too. I was disappointed with the recording quality of The Very Best of ELP Live, but I guess that is to be expected with it being recorded in the mid-70s.

Oct 9, 2001 at 8:59 PM Post #8 of 11
Oh Wow! Last saturday evening, the classic rock show on total rock (www.totalrock.com)played an ELP track that was recorded live back in 1992. Unfortunatly the git didnt say what the song was or what album it was on doh!

Ah having the speakers cranked up, ELP blaring out and me playing (Badly very badly) Counter-strike on line.......

Oct 12, 2001 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 11
Funny that both ELP and Yes are mentioned because they both suck recorded IMO...

But both old ELP and old Yes tracks have no range... no high end and certainly no low end. I've seen them both live back in the day (oh god am I that old? I AM! AHHHHHHHH)

Live, the percussive staccato hits of ELP would rock you literally back and forth if you were anywhere near the PAs...

Same for Yes... live, the bass would rattle your fillings out anywhere in a 35k seat arena... I mean bass that would flood out all thought.

Still, it turns me on. HA! Actually, it's "The Manticore" style stuff that turns me on. Don't drive a car to this. zoomzoom

Course, NOW that we've got excellent recording methods to the point that freaks like us can rig multitrack and binaural recordings in our pockets, well damnit... now it's the boy band era. SIGH.
mad.gif

Oct 12, 2001 at 5:34 PM Post #11 of 11
Apheared
and others....
If you like the ELP type of sound then check out http://www.dprp.vuurwerk.nl/index.html

Where you'll find lots of bands like that. Check out the cd reviews in particular. You may be surprised to know that there aint a "boy band " among them.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back