Emergency!
May 2, 2008 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

number1sixerfan

Headphoneus Supremus
My dog sneaked the power cord to my altec lansing computer speaker set and bit it in half. The cord is connected to the subwoofer and is not removable, so I cannot simply replace it. And shipping it somewhere is not an option due to it's weight.

I'm pretty sure it can be repaired, but what are the typical shops that do so? Anywhere retail place that can repair it within a couple days?

Thanks

May 2, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 9
I would recommend you get a virtual dynamics power cord. It seems that *only* cats like to bite and destroy them, but not dogs. So you should be all set and protected from any recurring problem

May 2, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by CD44hi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend you get a virtual dynamics power cord. It seems that *only* cats like to bite and destroy them, but not dogs. So you should be all set and protected from any recurring problem

But what type of place can repair things like this? I guess I'll internet search my area and do some calling.

May 3, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #5 of 9
Look for a TV repair shop, they can handle it.

Also, the cord is removable. You will need to open up both boxes to find where it connects. From there, probably 10-15 minutes of desoldering and soldering will get a new cable installed.

Oh, you might want to ask in the DIY Forum if a member is nearby. Easy fix and (I think) the guys in there will help you out if possible.

Edit: Almost forgot, but check ARRLWeb: ARRL Home Page to see if there is a group of hams in your city. Contact them - there will be several members handy with a soldering iron and they will know every business capable of doing it. Expect to be lobbied on getting a license, too!

May 3, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #6 of 9
It's a real easy repair. There's many different ways to repair it- you can use wirenuts, solder, or random crimping ....things. I'd probably solder it and heat-shrink it if it were mine though. All of this stuff can be found at radioshack or any home-improvement store and it should honestly cost about 15 to 20 bucks (if you get a cheap iron), and should only take about 5 minutes to do (4.5 mins to allow the iron to heat up).

I think the real question is: how ghetto are you willing to go? wirenuts is the cheapest route though (about 2 bucks). Anyway, goodluck.

May 3, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #8 of 9
I have a Beagle, he would love the sauce. lol He eats anything. I don't really care about cost, I just want to get it repaired as easy as possible. I don't know how to solder so I'd imagine that would be a problem.

So what's the easiest diy route? Crimping? I'm gonna try to fix it myself so I can do it today..most repair shops will be closed today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back