Emergency Kit-Fi
Dec 23, 2007 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
My emergency kit for my new 2008 Toyota Camry is complete.

Here it is:

emergency-auto-aaa-kit.jpg

AAA 63 piece roadside emergency kit

Video: AAA Emergency Kit

42880676.jpg

Emergency roadside flasher

Amazon.com: Emergency Highway Flasher Light - For Cars, Boats, RVs, & Trucks: Sports & Outdoors

15165-LIFE-HAMMER-A.jpg

The Life Hammer. A glass breaking hammer to escape a vehicle in an event of a dangerous emergency if the car door won't open with power locks.
Amazon.com: LifeHammer Original Emergency Hammer (Orange): Automotive

I also have a down coat in the trunk as well in case if my car gets stranded in the cold winter in a rural area and I need to search for help.

This should keep me prepared for a long time.

Dec 23, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 15
I usually put my own together. My essentials are:

Water
food
shelter (emergency blanket OK)
maps
compass
rope
first aid kit
knife
water purification device
backpack
Signalling device, a mirror is good
Waterproof matches
flashlight with extra bulb and batteries

These will keep you alive and are my bare minimum. However, I also usually carry a GPS, extra clothing, compact sleeping bag, car tools with an extra serpentine belt, upper and lower radiator hoses, coolant, oil, brake fluid, amateur radio transceiver, and sometimes a firearm.

Dec 23, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #4 of 15
If I am about to drive out into a rural area, I will bring the food and water right before departure because I prefer fresh food of fruit and cheese in case of an emergancy. A bottle of wine wouldn't be a bad idea too. Make the best of an emergancy.

Dec 23, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 15
A good flashlight is a must, but I would recommend adding a headlamp. It's nice to have both hands free for applications like tire changes, etc.

If you can get to a Walmart, they carry a Rayovac brand that runs on 1xAA battery for 2+ hours if you use a rechargeable or disposable lithium battery (cheaper online). It has a spotlight mode as well as a diffused, floody mode. If you use the lithiums you'll get a cell with max battery life, long shelf life, and that which will work effectively in extreme temps.

~$20 (link)

Dec 23, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to forget...

Kudos to you Spareribs for being well-prepped.

Thanks. It wasn't expensive so I figure that if i invest in a few things, it can make a good difference in an event of an emergancy and also peace of mind too. I also think that it's good to have at least one umbrella too. A couple weeks ago, I saw a 3 car car accident on the highway and the people who were stranded had no umbrella or rain gear and they were just standing on the side of the road getting wet in the cold rain.

Also, last month, my parents had a flat tire on a rural highway at night and they did not have a flash light and it was really inconveniant for them. Fixing the flat tire was stressful because they had no emergency coat and it was cold at night.

Dec 23, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #9 of 15
These may not have been mentioned yet:

a collection of fuses - every denomination your car uses, and make sure you have a spare main fuse

a couple of cans of tire seal/inflate - they're messy later, but can save the day (or night)

some poster board and a big marker - "SEND HELP"

if your car can possibly carry one - a REAL full-size spare tire

portable CB radio which can work off your cig lighter socket

maps

Dec 23, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These may not have been mentioned yet:

a collection of fuses - every denomination your car uses, and make sure you have a spare main fuse

a couple of cans of tire seal/inflate - they're messy later, but can save the day (or night)

some poster board and a big marker - "SEND HELP"

if your car can possibly carry one - a REAL full-size spare tire

portable CB radio which can work off your cig lighter socket

maps

Excellent ideas. My car will be stocked and ready for any disaster.

Dec 24, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maps

And a GPS unit so you actually know where you are when everything's covered in snow, and you don't end up wandering away from civilization freezing to death while your family waits for help in the car. Actually, a GPS unit that can show your position on a graphic map would be lovely..

Dec 24, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #12 of 15
GPS? Oh, right...you did notice that I'm a member of Team Retro Grouch? I'll take the map.

Laz

Dec 27, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #13 of 15
I also added a sharp Benchmade fold out knife for defense in case if there is a threat of a wild animal in an event that I break down in a far rural area.

Dec 27, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #14 of 15
Jeepers, where do you people live!? Sounds like you're all prepared to cross the Sahara!

Even though Australia's huge, 99% of my driving is metropolitan.

I guess driving interstate regularly would be a different story.

On topic, some means of washing or sanitizing your hands is handy after repairs to a flat or something.

WETONES.jpg

Dec 28, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #15 of 15
i have no need for an "Emergency Kit" as I live downtown and never imagine driving on a road where I would be farther than a mile from a major road or a house.

I do however, have a "Get-Away" kit in my trunk. If I ever need to hide, or just get away, all I need to do is point the car in a rural direction and drive till I"m safely away. In a large duffel I have a tent, sleeping bag, blanket, tarp, change of clothes suitable for cold weather, rain gear, a real ghetto spotlight made from a headlight and a cig lighter cable, a gallon of water, some powerbars, a small fishing kit, knives, things to make fire with, books for entertainment, batteries and a small radio, wrench, screwdriver, hatchet, etc.

I think I"ve got everything pretty well covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back