EM-U 1212M or ESI 192X or Echo MiaMidi
Aug 29, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Back on topic I think the 1212m is the best one should get before moving onto an external DAC.

fair statement. but i would like to point how how many of us can actually "hear" the difference? say between a 1212m with a 1212m + DAC. i doubt all of us here have golden ears.. plus at times having better gear doesn't neccessary = better quality.. as sound is very subjective it may be possible that one has already achieved synergy with the 1212m + amp + headphones... plus psychological burn in etc.

one things for sure.. you pay 100% more in price but you might not get 10% more in SQ..and another statement would be fair... if you've never heard better you won't know whats crappy..
icon10.gif

Aug 29, 2004 at 3:55 PM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Benchmark DAC1 is like twice the price of Lynx One and about the same as Lynx Two.

Well the Lynx One I saw right now online costs you $900 USD, while the DAC1 can be got for less than $900 used. Maybe I'm not that updated on its price then....lol
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
. Your the boss...

Yeah, some don't like the DAC1. But you really should hear them out, from my experience the DAC1 was much better than the 1212m, able to be spotted in seconds. (With the Ety's). Much more detail, and impact, especially how the music gets real punchy. Some may find that irritating, but some may call that clarity + detail. I might find them fatiguing after long use, but I haven't had them for long use with the Ety's. They're worth trying out, and other DAC's that others recommend. Say those 30-day trials would be nice.

But if your other audio components are way to low-fi (eg. just a SR60 ampless), I suggest you get the 1212m and an upgrade in other components first.

Aug 30, 2004 at 1:28 AM Post #33 of 42
1212M is my choice now, going to buy it in HK today
icon10.gif

about external DAC ... I haven't listened to music directly from the DAC but tried to listen to a song recorded through the benchmark DAC and another pricy one (sorry, forgottne which model). The song ripped through the benchmark is really very plain and detail, but for me, just tooo plain and non-musical
cool.gif
just my personal feeling

Aug 30, 2004 at 1:52 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

1212M is my choice now, going to buy it in HK today

about external DAC ... I haven't listened to music directly from the DAC but tried to listen to a song recorded through the benchmark DAC and another pricy one (sorry, forgottne which model). The song ripped through the benchmark is really very plain and detail, but for me, just tooo plain and non-musical just my personal feeling

Good move on the E-MU, but that experience is totally different from what I've heard, and from what others have to say about the DAC1. Not all high end sources are non musical or analytical, in fact many find the DAC1 very musical, or even the most musical they've ever heard. (See Iron_Dreamer's comments) Not going to dig into how you tested the DAC1 with, with what components or what headphones or what music, but these are BIG issues to affect the sound in the end.

Sorry if you think I'm the kind of guy who likes to analyze my system sacrificing musicality, or you think I simply don't know what's "musicalty" just because I'm a junior member. So you think I like analytical sources coz I said the Benchmark brought clarity and detail? That's a total misconception. Does that mean the most musical source in the world can't be detailed? Sheeh.

The good thing is you could find a source you like at the end, now enjoy the music pal!
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by lojay
Good move on the E-MU, but that experience is totally different from what I've heard, and from what others have to say about the DAC1. Not all high end sources are non musical or analytical, in fact many find the DAC1 very musical, or even the most musical they've ever heard. (See Iron_Dreamer's comments) Not going to dig into how you tested the DAC1 with, with what components or what headphones or what music, but these are BIG issues to affect the sound in the end.

Sorry if you think I'm the kind of guy who likes to analyze my system sacrificing musicality, or you think I simply don't know what's "musicalty" just because I'm a junior member. So you think I like analytical sources coz I said the Benchmark brought clarity and detail? That's a total misconception. Does that mean the most musical source in the world can't be detailed? Sheeh.

The good thing is you could find a source you like at the end, now enjoy the music pal!
biggrin.gif

hey, do u live in HK also?
icon10.gif

well, my experience on the Benchmark DAC is really inconclusive, as I just listened to a songs ripped FROM the DAC but not directly listening to a music from a system including the DAC. So ... my impression may change if I can try it myself

and ya ... I hope i won't be disappointed with the 1212M tonite

Aug 30, 2004 at 2:12 AM Post #36 of 42
Hey, that's cool! Sigh....our HK meet, I mean the one with Gino and hiss preciousss, has been postponed, or even cancelled.

Aug 30, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Hey, that's cool! Sigh....our HK meet, I mean the one with Gino and hiss preciousss, has been postponed, or even cancelled.

do u mean the one that will be hold in PolyU?

Aug 30, 2004 at 8:21 AM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ixeo
how much is 1212m in HK anyway? i know you can get scale models and handphones cheap there..how bout audio equipment

haha, not sure about scale models, for headphones .. it's like $287.5 USD for my MS-2, not really cheap

for the 1212M, i can get it at 201.25USD, not very cheap also

Aug 30, 2004 at 10:12 AM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Every people has different preference on sound. Some said Benchmark is clarity and clear. Some said Benchmark sound is boring. It is hard to say who is correct as the sound quality is very subjective.
biggrin.gif

Cograd Fr_eak that you have found the source you want.
Waiting for your good news about adding a DAC to your system .
cool.gif

Aug 30, 2004 at 10:16 AM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

HAHA

Can I join your meeting if the meeting hasn't been cancelled later?
icon10.gif

I am also in Hong Kong
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back