Elysian Annihilator 2023
Nov 22, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #346 of 841
Good mornig everybody. Yesterday i spend all day with Annihilator. I must say, this is amazing IEM. I never listen that huge details in sound from IEMs. Its eazy to detectable. I try compare it with all my best IEMs. Sometime iam in shock, what is in record and till now i dont know about it. Every micro detail for example in live record, where i listen every movement of the musician or people noise at the concert. And when you listen really good guitar recording, its amazing. I must say i never listen other IEMs with this sound chracter. But my experince are not that huge. Women voice - every breath of singers. Maybe soundstage are not that wide like Empire Ears Odin. And bass are not that huge and deep like Fir XE6, but for this i dont buy Annihilator. This is very special IEM. :wink:

Anni are nice looking and light IEM. Cable what we already talk here about it is Liquid links Martini with Effect audio ConX termination (Sorry my mistake. I wirte here last time TermX). Easy exchange to MMCX, 0,78 2pin, etc. Anni using Pentaconn connector. Cable is heavier than Anni. But long-term listening no problem for me.

Annihilator need power. I never listen any IEMs around 12 oclock volume on my FLUX FA12 balanced class A amp. But Annihilator yes. Odin for example around 9 oclock.

I start typical game with eartips. Original Spinfit W1 is too soft for me. And Anni little bit lost this detail. I try Symbio W but same problem like with Spinfit W1. I have one tip from my friend here on forum - Azla eartips. But this i dont have. I must order it. Finally i try Divinus Velvet. And this is it.

I see here some photo, where someone put on Annihilator Pentaconn Coreir tips. But i try and due to really big nozzle on Annihilator, i cannot hanlde it. Maybe iam worry, that i can something damage.

Any other owner some experience with eartips?

Later i will share here freq. characteristic of Annihilator. Month a go arrive to me IEC711 measure kit. Nothing expensive but i dont like reviewers, who first measure and than listen. :wink:

Thank you
Final E's are my go-to tips for most UIEMs including Annihilator, but I also I like the Azla Sedna EarFits, they're a large bore tip that also works well with Anni's large nozzles. The Final E's are a little more comfortable in longer listening, but attenuate the treble just a bit, whereas the wider Azla's let all of that Anni treble goodness shine.

And I'm with you on the pairing of Anni & Xe6 in a collection, they complement each other just about perfectly imho.

Nov 22, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #347 of 841
Just finished writing down my thoughts about a week with Annihilator 2023:

Courtesy of Elysian Audio, Effect Audio and the Watercooler tour, I was very excited to really demo Annihilator 2023 (“Anni”) after my initial, positive first hearing of this at Canjam Socal 2023; it drew me in immediately on the sound presentation, but thought it might have been too energetic in the upper mids and treble. My short notes from Canjam were brief ones: "Clear, clean, powerful bass, exc vocals, excellent separation, crispy treble (too bright?), great stage, power hungry."

These were really good first impressions to me, and more or less bore out to be correct except the crispy treble – the treble is actually just about perfect, and if you’re a treblehead, you're gonna love it. The tour unit included no packaging (you can see that on real reviews!), but I felt this thing was well burnt in, and in the tour kit, came not only the very excellent stock cable, a Liquid Links Martini, but also a fancy EA Fusion 1! After a week that must have contained at least 30-40 hours of hard listening, I ended up falling as much in love with Annihilator 2023 as I did with its little bro, Diva 2023.

My testing was done with my DAPs (P6Pro and N6ii R01) and my desktop Hifiman EF400. Tips matter here, and I found AZLA crystal and xelastic to work well, but the Eletech Baroques and the Divinus Velvets were the best for my tastes. As I found with Diva, Anni requires serious power; it came most alive from the EF400 which delivers great power. On my DAPs, both needed to be in high gain and the volume was well at or above 50%. My sources were primarily r2r, and Anni certainly sounds amazing with it; at CanJam, I tried it with Cayin N30LE which made it sing also. With power hungry IEMs like this, it’s a cutting edge sword – the tuning is sublime, but only reveals itself when properly powered – so even with my DAPs, I felt that I really needed a more powerful, TOTL DAP like N30LE to hear Anni as it should be, which could be kind of a bummer. [NOTE: I did receive a Shanling M9+ on my final day with Anni, and this was exactly the kind of pairing that makes Anni shine, wish I’d had it for the whole week!].

Anni really does pretty much everything right for a wide-appeal, we-want-everything-right, sort of audiophile, IMHO, and like I said, while I think trebleheads will love it, I don’t think your average basshead audiophile will prefer this; I place myself in this category, though very much appreciate Anni for its stellar performance for what it is. People speak of “musical” and “analytical” iems in the top end – Anni is undoubtedly musical, but that doesn’t mean it’s not technically resolving of fine details, which it most certainly is. It’s an aggressive and exciting tuning that is excellent for all genres of rock I’ve put to it; all vocals seem to sound amazing. Even though I think of this as more a treblehead’s dream, the substantial and beautifully controlled bass actually makes it a great all-arounder for most anyone looking for a well-balanced TOTL IEM. Low rumbles are there if the song has it – this is excellent DD bass done well with great speed that keeps up with and doesn’t overtake the show.

But the real show here is the vocals and treble which, when combined with a nicely balanced lower end, results in a great overall IEM. I’ve read a lot of disagreement about the Anni bass quality, and it seems this comes down to taste. To my ears, it’s better than just “okay” as I’ve read, but I understand what those folks are saying – there’s a slight thinness to the bass quality which, while keeping it from coloring any of the rest of the FR, will not make bassheads go nuts. But for those looking for an IEM yielding a nicely balanced sound with good slamming bass, Anni definitely delivers.

And yes, it’s lively up top, but alas for me, not fatiguing at all, with all-day listening sessions passing easily day after day during my audition. Staging and positioning of instruments and vocals is perfection, it’s easy to identify where your guitar, bass, keyboard, percussion and vocals are, and they all seem perfectly positioned across a nice wide stage with decent height and width with a holographic sound wrapping around you. It’s not the widest of stages but has nice depth getting a lot of the stage outside the head. The “technicals” of Anni are outstanding and TOTL from top to bottom. From separation, positioning, detail resolution, timbre, etc., all are excellent and musical.

Thanks to the tour, I did swap the stock cable and the upgrade, EA Fusion 1, for several sessions and, to be honest, did not find much of a difference, ymmv. I think the stock cable is great – Liquid Links Martini, an 8 core, big but supple and ergonomic cable with exotic metals; testing of EA Fusion 1 resulted in a slightly more full sound, more “meat on the bones”, but not a big huge difference and not a big upgrade – this is a nice stock cable (no chin slider, FYI) that sounds nicely matched with Anni.

Summing it up, I think Anni is a super all-arounder with generous bass that does not color the mids or treble leaving you with a super-balanced listening experience with nothing missing. I found it to be a nicely balanced sound across the entire FR with nothing left wanting, except more bass coloration and impact if that’s what you look for. Don’t forget that to be great, Anni really needs serious power! Anni provides a TOTL sound and experience, and competes handily with most all-around, TOTL sets I’ve tried. At the $3k price point, there’s lots of competition but this set holds its own very securely I think. For instance, when a/b’ing against Aroma Fei Wan at CanJam, that showed a step up from Anni, but at a big cost, though I found both sets to have somewhat similar characteristics. And thinking of it from that perspective, Anni might be one of the TOTL deals to be had if it resonates with you! Finally, when going through my notes, I realized I only took one photo of Anni, which does them no justice, but I’ll show it for completeness.

Thanks for reading, and HAPPY Thanksgiving to all (who celebrate it)!

20231029_124544.jpg

Nov 22, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #348 of 841
Just finished writing down my thoughts about a week with Annihilator 2023:

Courtesy of Elysian Audio, Effect Audio and the Watercooler tour, I was very excited to really demo Annihilator 2023 (“Anni”) after my initial, positive first hearing of this at Canjam Socal 2023; it drew me in immediately on the sound presentation, but thought it might have been too energetic in the upper mids and treble. My short notes from Canjam were brief ones: "Clear, clean, powerful bass, exc vocals, excellent separation, crispy treble (too bright?), great stage, power hungry."

These were really good first impressions to me, and more or less bore out to be correct except the crispy treble – the treble is actually just about perfect, and if you’re a treblehead, you're gonna love it. The tour unit included no packaging (you can see that on real reviews!), but I felt this thing was well burnt in, and in the tour kit, came not only the very excellent stock cable, a Liquid Links Martini, but also a fancy EA Fusion 1! After a week that must have contained at least 30-40 hours of hard listening, I ended up falling as much in love with Annihilator 2023 as I did with its little bro, Diva 2023.

My testing was done with my DAPs (P6Pro and N6ii R01) and my desktop Hifiman EF400. Tips matter here, and I found AZLA crystal and xelastic to work well, but the Eletech Baroques and the Divinus Velvets were the best for my tastes. As I found with Diva, Anni requires serious power; it came most alive from the EF400 which delivers great power. On my DAPs, both needed to be in high gain and the volume was well at or above 50%. My sources were primarily r2r, and Anni certainly sounds amazing with it; at CanJam, I tried it with Cayin N30LE which made it sing also. With power hungry IEMs like this, it’s a cutting edge sword – the tuning is sublime, but only reveals itself when properly powered – so even with my DAPs, I felt that I really needed a more powerful, TOTL DAP like N30LE to hear Anni as it should be, which could be kind of a bummer. [NOTE: I did receive a Shanling M9+ on my final day with Anni, and this was exactly the kind of pairing that makes Anni shine, wish I’d had it for the whole week!].

Anni really does pretty much everything right for a wide-appeal, we-want-everything-right, sort of audiophile, IMHO, and like I said, while I think trebleheads will love it, I don’t think your average basshead audiophile will prefer this; I place myself in this category, though very much appreciate Anni for its stellar performance for what it is. People speak of “musical” and “analytical” iems in the top end – Anni is undoubtedly musical, but that doesn’t mean it’s not technically resolving of fine details, which it most certainly is. It’s an aggressive and exciting tuning that is excellent for all genres of rock I’ve put to it; all vocals seem to sound amazing. Even though I think of this as more a treblehead’s dream, the substantial and beautifully controlled bass actually makes it a great all-arounder for most anyone looking for a well-balanced TOTL IEM. Low rumbles are there if the song has it – this is excellent DD bass done well with great speed that keeps up with and doesn’t overtake the show.

But the real show here is the vocals and treble which, when combined with a nicely balanced lower end, results in a great overall IEM. I’ve read a lot of disagreement about the Anni bass quality, and it seems this comes down to taste. To my ears, it’s better than just “okay” as I’ve read, but I understand what those folks are saying – there’s a slight thinness to the bass quality which, while keeping it from coloring any of the rest of the FR, will not make bassheads go nuts. But for those looking for an IEM yielding a nicely balanced sound with good slamming bass, Anni definitely delivers.

And yes, it’s lively up top, but alas for me, not fatiguing at all, with all-day listening sessions passing easily day after day during my audition. Staging and positioning of instruments and vocals is perfection, it’s easy to identify where your guitar, bass, keyboard, percussion and vocals are, and they all seem perfectly positioned across a nice wide stage with decent height and width with a holographic sound wrapping around you. It’s not the widest of stages but has nice depth getting a lot of the stage outside the head. The “technicals” of Anni are outstanding and TOTL from top to bottom. From separation, positioning, detail resolution, timbre, etc., all are excellent and musical.

Thanks to the tour, I did swap the stock cable and the upgrade, EA Fusion 1, for several sessions and, to be honest, did not find much of a difference, ymmv. I think the stock cable is great – Liquid Links Martini, an 8 core, big but supple and ergonomic cable with exotic metals; testing of EA Fusion 1 resulted in a slightly more full sound, more “meat on the bones”, but not a big huge difference and not a big upgrade – this is a nice stock cable (no chin slider, FYI) that sounds nicely matched with Anni.

Summing it up, I think Anni is a super all-arounder with generous bass that does not color the mids or treble leaving you with a super-balanced listening experience with nothing missing. I found it to be a nicely balanced sound across the entire FR with nothing left wanting, except more bass coloration and impact if that’s what you look for. Don’t forget that to be great, Anni really needs serious power! Anni provides a TOTL sound and experience, and competes handily with most all-around, TOTL sets I’ve tried. At the $3k price point, there’s lots of competition but this set holds its own very securely I think. For instance, when a/b’ing against Aroma Fei Wan at CanJam, that showed a step up from Anni, but at a big cost, though I found both sets to have somewhat similar characteristics. And thinking of it from that perspective, Anni might be one of the TOTL deals to be had if it resonates with you! Finally, when going through my notes, I realized I only took one photo of Anni, which does them no justice, but I’ll show it for completeness.

Thanks for reading, and HAPPY Thanksgiving to all (who celebrate it)!

20231029_124544.jpg
That’s was a really good review. It sums up all the things that I was thinking about when looking at the Annihilator 2023.

Nov 22, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #349 of 841
That’s was a really good review. It sums up all the things that I was thinking about when looking at the Annihilator 2023.
🙏🙏 Many thanks!

Nov 22, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #350 of 841
I am sensitive to treble so never considered this set.

An opportunity arose to listen at a recent Melbourne show so I begrudgingly gave it a listen.

To be frank, I was floored.

The clarity and space around instruments just seemed perfect. No spicy treble peaks at all. A real detail monster to my old ears. Everything just sounded so homogeneous.

Moral of the story I guess is don't judge without listening, you may be in for a suprise.

Nov 24, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #351 of 841
Every single day I wear my Anni, every single day, I remain stunned.

This is my last discovery on Tidal: Kenichi Tsunoda Big Band

Everything has its place, high are so pure, so crystal clear (OMG that cymbals!) but never fatiguing, bass are fast, dynamic and natural. Drums and winds are incredible, really.

I am using a Gryphon as DAC/Amp, I am wondering if I can improve this astounding listening experience with different DAC and Amp, so I can start saving money from now :ksc75smile:

Nov 24, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #352 of 841
I am sensitive to treble so never considered this set.

An opportunity arose to listen at a recent Melbourne show so I begrudgingly gave it a listen.

To be frank, I was floored.

The clarity and space around instruments just seemed perfect. No spicy treble peaks at all. A real detail monster to my old ears. Everything just sounded so homogeneous.

Moral of the story I guess is don't judge without listening, you may be in for a suprise.
This was exactly the same for me. I was sensitive to treble and so I had no interest at all in the Annihilator 2023. Then at Canjam I was waiting to demo the Diva at the Elysian table, and literally just to kill time I decided to try the Anni. The rest is history…

Nov 24, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #353 of 841
This was exactly the same for me. I was sensitive to treble and so I had no interest at all in the Annihilator 2023. Then at Canjam I was waiting to demo the Diva at the Elysian table, and literally just to kill time I decided to try the Anni. The rest is history…
How about some impressions? How do you like it, now that you have it? 😊

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #354 of 841
Every single day I wear my Anni, every single day, I remain stunned.

This is my last discovery on Tidal: Kenichi Tsunoda Big Band

Everything has its place, high are so pure, so crystal clear (OMG that cymbals!) but never fatiguing, bass are fast, dynamic and natural. Drums and winds are incredible, really.

I am using a Gryphon as DAC/Amp, I am wondering if I can improve this astounding listening experience with different DAC and Amp, so I can start saving money from now :ksc75smile:
Yeah, Anni is pretty damn special, and even though I paid plenty for it, I kinda feel privileged to own one.

It's a while now since I heard Gryphon, but I did test it side-by-side with the HiBy RS6 using the Sony IER-Z1R I owned at the time, which like Anni is another IEM that gobbles up as much power as you can give it. To me it wasn't much of a contest, I put down the Gryphon pretty quickly and wound up buying the RS6. Now again, I didn't spend a lot of time with the Gryphon, but that first impression wasn't outstanding by comparison. Of course, there are even better DAPs around than the RS6, and desktop gear as well, but for my on-the-go use case, the RS6 is hard to beat.
Not sure that I'm sensitive to treble as such, but it was never something I was ever interested in pursuing in the first few years of exploring gear. I suppose many of us are bass-heads when we first start out in the hobby, and to me anything that focussed more on treble was something I just ignored.

But now I'm reminded every time I listen to Anni just how important it is to get treble right; and when it's done to this level of perfection, coupled with Anni's warm rich mid-bass, it's really intoxicating.

Nov 26, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #355 of 841
Bit of an impulse buy but noticed somewhere that had one available so ordered the Annihilator 2023.

I currently use a IER-Z1R and love it, but interested to do the comparison. Have a Fir Rn6 CIEM on order that I'll probably use most of the time for comfort (but freq curve looks mostly good too) but interested to try all 3 and then will sell at least 1.

Exciting!

Nov 28, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #356 of 841
They just arrived…. Wow. You really notice the treble performance.

Not got much time now but definitely don’t regret trying these at all. I’ve been using my Z1R for a year or more and these feel very nice from that- probably slightly more comfortable and the sound is as good/better. I think the Z1R treble is actually what I liked most about them.

Nov 28, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #358 of 841
The only thing I’m not so keen on is the cable - it’s quite large and blingy. Does anyone sell ready-made P-ear cables that are a bit simpler?
Hi Paul,

i dont know about any other than Effect audio. I have all base cables Cadmus, Ares and Eros in 8W version. I not try it yet with Annihilator. All Effect audio cables can use Pentacon connector. But 8W cables from Effect audio are bigger than Liquid Links Martini. You must look at 4W version. :wink:

Nov 28, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #360 of 841
Yeah- I quite like the 2 cable PW Audio design (I think it’s the 1960s that uses the coax style Cardas cable). I can get one but just will take a few weeks to be made.
When I was trying to find pentaconn ear cables, I came across some Acoustune and Brise Audio cables on MTMTaudio.com.
https://www.mtmtaudio.com/search?type=product&q=pentaconn

I haven't used any of them, but they're definitely less-blingy than the Martini.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back