Elysian Acoustics DIVA 2023
Aug 1, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #76 of 277
This is really cool. They have a 2-pin option as well. Can you let me know how this works out for you? If it works well I may consider a pair.
Definitely, it wont be coming in a few days but I'll report back on if it works or not. I doubt it would affect anything sonically but the real question is if the conversion even works or if it's gonna be distorted.

Aug 1, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #77 of 277
Definitely, it wont be coming in a few days but I'll report back on if it works or not. I doubt it would affect anything sonically but the real question is if the conversion even works or if it's gonna be distorted.
Thanks! I appreciate it. I hope it works well for you.

Aug 1, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #78 of 277
These adaptors on AE are pricy but the most well made I’ve tried. They add minimal height to the connector, don’t degrade or colour the sound as far as I can tell, and most importantly, they give my OG Diva access to my entire cable collection. Choose the ones with “Acoustune” connectors - those are Pentaconn:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005003205461023.html

Alternatively, look for Acoustune cables since they use Pentaconn as well.

Sitting out the sound impressions discussion as I don’t have the 2023 Diva but reading with interest as it does seem like there have been changes.

Aug 1, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #79 of 277
These adaptors on AE are pricy but the most well made I’ve tried. They add minimal height to the connector, don’t degrade or colour the sound as far as I can tell, and most importantly, they give my OG Diva access to my entire cable collection. Choose the ones with “Acoustune” connectors - those are Pentaconn:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005003205461023.html

Alternatively, look for Acoustune cables since they use Pentaconn as well.

Sitting out the sound impressions discussion as I don’t have the 2023 Diva but reading with interest as it does seem like there have been changes.
Funny enough you can actually find it on Ebay for cheaper compared to the aliexpress one which is interesting. But yeah those definitely look nicer but I'll see what the amazon one look like first. Not sure if I want to wait for shipping all the way from China lol...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1753374484...1876732278&abcId=9307249&merchantid=114165343

Aug 2, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #80 of 277
Aug 2, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #81 of 277
Oh nice, they’re rarely if ever on sale on AE. I’m going to pick up more of them.
Yeah I woulda gotten that one if I didn't already have one ordered. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow so we'll see! If it doesn't turn out to work I'd still have time to order it on Ebay.

Aug 3, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #82 of 277
Thanks! I appreciate it. I hope it works well for you.

Let us know if it works!
So it arrived early today, sonically it didn't make any difference or distortion thankfully, and construction-wise it's decent, nothing to write home about but is solid. There isn't anything problematic and the connections are solid and don't wobble as far as I can tell through normal use. Length-wise it's unfortunately bit longer than the Acoustune one I believe, and it does cause the ear hook parts to kind of overextend a bit, which through normal use should be no problem, but if you like sleeping with your IEM I can forsee this might cause some issue since it's an extra segment of connection...

I swapped between the cable my Diva came with (Effect Audio copper cable) and my sterling silver mmcx cable (Audiotrak RE:cable SR3)'s original connector length with the converter connected, and tried listening to a few songs on my DAP (Cowon Plenue 1), as well as some youtube videos of First Take songs, and noted that there is a very very minimal amount of positive difference between the two cables. (I only tested with the middle bass switch because that's the setting I use and am most used to.)

For bass response, original copper cable has a slightly better bass impact but cloudier rumble, while the silver cable tightened the bass rumble up a little bit, at the cost of losing a tiny bit of impact, but not enough where you'd miss it. Sometimes depending on the song the bass could be a little bit cloudy on the Diva so the silver cable can help with that to some degree, but again, it's a very subtle difference, so I wouldn't really recommend buying a silver cable just for that unless you already have one on hand just to try the difference. For example, when I was listening to the First Take song linked below, in the beginning when the bass started kicking in the rumble on the copper cable would be a tiny bit rumblier than the silver cable, and it could be a little distracting, though the vocal cuts through it pretty easily still with either cable.

Mids and vocals are about the same for both cables, I feel like in terms of sound details the silver cable has a bit tighter sound focus than the copper one which seems to be just a tiny bit blurrier, which I previously had a similar experience with my Campfire Andromeda. But honestly it's not that big of a difference overall, and in Diva's case I think I actually prefer the copper cable in terms of vocals for some reason... Spanish Harlem and Manha De Carnaval didn't sound all that different to me with either cables, and I don't really have a preference on which one I like better in terms of mids/vocals. I might even lean more towards the copper cable for some songs because it sounded less sterile than the silver cable.

Treble is probably where the two cables have the most difference at, where the treble is a bit more elevated on the silver cable vs then copper one, however in Diva's case this might actually be a detriment, because some songs that were at the edge of sounding too sibilant on the copper cable now sounds too damn sibilant on the silver cable. For example the song by Juju (I can't type Japanese but it's in the picture) on the copper cable you can tell the song has a bit of sibilance to it but it's not that bad yet, but on the silver cable it's obvious as day and the high notes or her voice all have that sizzling ssssss after it, which I don't really like. While this isn't an issue with songs that are well recorded and not sibilant, taking into account that not all songs are recorded equally and depending on the type of music people like there's a high chance they have a library full of songs with bit of sibilance to it, I feel like the copper cable would be a better fit for the Diva just for this reason alone.

So in conclusion converters work but are a bit long, I'd say just get the Acoustune one instead of the amazon one I found because the Acoustune one is shorter, and based on what @-rowan- said the quality is really good so might as well get that one instead. It'll allow you to use any other cables you have on hand for the Diva which is nice.

In terms of difference of sound between silver and copper cable on the Diva, I'd say just stick with copper cable. The difference in the bass and mids aren't enough to offset the sibilance difference between the two, which would bother you more than just a tiny fraction bit of tightening on the bass/mids overall. Diva's sound is already pretty clean to begin with so there's really no point in tightening it even more. I'd probably even shy away from silver plated copper cables too for this matter, and just stick with nicely made copper cables that fits your needs, or just use the one it comes with which is actually a really nice cable lol.

Glad I bought this converter regardless though because now I don't need to shell out that $400 for that silver pentaconn cable XDDD...

Attachments

• 20230802_1813532.jpg
    20230802_1813532.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230802_182340.jpg
    20230802_182340.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230802_192151.jpg
    20230802_192151.jpg
    554.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230802_1817292.jpg
    20230802_1817292.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #84 of 277
So it arrived early today, sonically it didn't make any difference or distortion thankfully, and construction-wise it's decent, nothing to write home about but is solid. There isn't anything problematic and the connections are solid and don't wobble as far as I can tell through normal use. Length-wise it's unfortunately bit longer than the Acoustune one I believe, and it does cause the ear hook parts to kind of overextend a bit, which through normal use should be no problem, but if you like sleeping with your IEM I can forsee this might cause some issue since it's an extra segment of connection...

I swapped between the cable my Diva came with (Effect Audio copper cable) and my sterling silver mmcx cable (Audiotrak RE:cable SR3)'s original connector length with the converter connected, and tried listening to a few songs on my DAP (Cowon Plenue 1), as well as some youtube videos of First Take songs, and noted that there is a very very minimal amount of positive difference between the two cables. (I only tested with the middle bass switch because that's the setting I use and am most used to.)

For bass response, original copper cable has a slightly better bass impact but cloudier rumble, while the silver cable tightened the bass rumble up a little bit, at the cost of losing a tiny bit of impact, but not enough where you'd miss it. Sometimes depending on the song the bass could be a little bit cloudy on the Diva so the silver cable can help with that to some degree, but again, it's a very subtle difference, so I wouldn't really recommend buying a silver cable just for that unless you already have one on hand just to try the difference. For example, when I was listening to the First Take song linked below, in the beginning when the bass started kicking in the rumble on the copper cable would be a tiny bit rumblier than the silver cable, and it could be a little distracting, though the vocal cuts through it pretty easily still with either cable.

Mids and vocals are about the same for both cables, I feel like in terms of sound details the silver cable has a bit tighter sound focus than the copper one which seems to be just a tiny bit blurrier, which I previously had a similar experience with my Campfire Andromeda. But honestly it's not that big of a difference overall, and in Diva's case I think I actually prefer the copper cable in terms of vocals for some reason... Spanish Harlem and Manha De Carnaval didn't sound all that different to me with either cables, and I don't really have a preference on which one I like better in terms of mids/vocals. I might even lean more towards the copper cable for some songs because it sounded less sterile than the silver cable.

Treble is probably where the two cables have the most difference at, where the treble is a bit more elevated on the silver cable vs then copper one, however in Diva's case this might actually be a detriment, because some songs that were at the edge of sounding too sibilant on the copper cable now sounds too damn sibilant on the silver cable. For example the song by Juju (I can't type Japanese but it's in the picture) on the copper cable you can tell the song has a bit of sibilance to it but it's not that bad yet, but on the silver cable it's obvious as day and the high notes or her voice all have that sizzling ssssss after it, which I don't really like. While this isn't an issue with songs that are well recorded and not sibilant, taking into account that not all songs are recorded equally and depending on the type of music people like there's a high chance they have a library full of songs with bit of sibilance to it, I feel like the copper cable would be a better fit for the Diva just for this reason alone.

So in conclusion converters work but are a bit long, I'd say just get the Acoustune one instead of the amazon one I found because the Acoustune one is shorter, and based on what @-rowan- said the quality is really good so might as well get that one instead. It'll allow you to use any other cables you have on hand for the Diva which is nice.

In terms of difference of sound between silver and copper cable on the Diva, I'd say just stick with copper cable. The difference in the bass and mids aren't enough to offset the sibilance difference between then two, which would bother you more than just a tiny fraction bit of tightening on the bass/mids overall. Diva's sound is already pretty clean to begin with so there's really no point in tightening it even more. I'd probably even shy away from silver plated copper cables too for this matter, and just stick with nicely made copper cables that fits your needs, or just use the one it comes with which is actually a really nice cable lol.

Glad I bought this converter regardless though because now I don't need to shell out that $400 for that silver pentaconn cable XDDD...

Honestly this response was so good I was intimidated to even reply to it. Really appreciate the detailed writeup and testing those out for the rest of us. Having used the OG cable a bit more, I think I'm getting used to it. I do wish I had the lightness of my Linsoul cable but it looks like alot of trouble for minimal comfort gain.

Aug 4, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #85 of 277
Honestly this response was so good I was intimidated to even reply to it. Really appreciate the detailed writeup and testing those out for the rest of us. Having used the OG cable a bit more, I think I'm getting used to it. I do wish I had the lightness of my Linsoul cable but it looks like alot of trouble for minimal comfort gain.
lol no problem glad I could help. I am always curious about these things as well after getting a new IEM so this was fun for me too XD.

Aug 5, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #86 of 277

In terms of difference of sound between silver and copper cable on the Diva, I'd say just stick with copper cable. The difference in the bass and mids aren't enough to offset the sibilance difference between the two, which would bother you more than just a tiny fraction bit of tightening on the bass/mids overall. Diva's sound is already pretty clean to begin with so there's really no point in tightening it even more. I'd probably even shy away from silver plated copper cables too for this matter, and just stick with nicely made copper cables that fits your needs, or just use the one it comes with which is actually a really nice cable lol.

Thanks for taking the time to write this up!
Based on your write-up, I decided to purchase an 8-wire Ares S to try and eke more technicalities out of my Diva 23.

I was between that and the Liquid Links Conti (the stock cable for Diva 21) but I already like the sound of the stock 4-wire Ares S; I just want to get rid of some of the cloudiness you mentioned and improve the resolution and techs while maintaining the overall sound.

Aug 5, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #87 of 277
Based on your write-up, I decided to purchase an 8-wire Ares S to try and eke more technicalities out of my Diva 23.

I was between that and the Liquid Links Conti (the stock cable for Diva 21) but I already like the sound of the stock 4-wire Ares S; I just want to get rid of some of the cloudiness you mentioned and improve the resolution and techs while maintaining the overall sound.
Wait I thought the ares 8 is also copper wire? Or you just wanted something bit thicker?

Aug 5, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #88 of 277

I’d go for the LL Conti unless you really want the versatility of the Con-x from Effect audio.

I got one from when I used to own a Gaea and now I’m using it on the Diva 23 which hits closer to my preferences than the Ares S.

Aug 5, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #89 of 277
So I've tried various IEMs over the past week and I've found that the Vision Ears VE7 is the closest to my preference with regards to the uppermids, but im not fond of the deep bass is possesses.

The question is still lingering in my mind: is the uppermid range on the diva enough for me ?

Would you guys say if I want the max upper mids I can get on an IEM, I should get the diva? xD

Aug 5, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #90 of 277
I’d go for the LL Conti unless you really want the versatility of the Con-x from Effect audio.

I got one from when I used to own a Gaea and now I’m using it on the Diva 23 which hits closer to my preferences than the Ares S.
Thanks for the suggestion. Would you mind sharing the sonic differences you perceive between the LL Conti and Ares S on the Diva 23?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back