Elna vs Black Gates?
Aug 19, 2009 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

raymondu999

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all.

I saw an ad in a different audio forum for a DIY iMod LOD which made use of Elna Silmic capacitors instead of the usual Black Gate Capacitors. Any reviews/comparisons of the two capacitors?

maybe impressions from some head-fiers who have played around with these capacitors?

Thanks

Aug 20, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 7
FallenAngel, what should we noobs do if we can't find anything but electrolytics in the values we are looking for? Also, how would you rate the nichicon muse series caps compared to the rubycon and elna's?

Aug 20, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 7
And what values are you looking for that you can't find film caps? You should not need above 4.7uF/6.3V. Higher voltage is fine, higher capacitance is also fine (but not necessary). You aren't likely to find film caps in that low voltage and shouldn't care for actual voltage rating. There are MANY. If you can find BlackGates, you can find good film caps.
wink.gif

Take a look at these links/reviews:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/or...thread-284863/
ecp.cc

Aug 21, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #6 of 7
Aug 22, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 7
Had the Black Gates 10uf in my Pass Labs X150 on the input. They sounded clean and clear and tight, but slightly dry. I sent my amp back to Pass since I was having a problem (not related to the caps).

My amp came back with Elnas Silmics. They are a warmer more natural sounding cap, more balenced. Organic. The Black gates were more forward and technicolor I guess you could say. It depends on the circuit but I'd go with the Elnas - Cheaper also.

Also tried the nichicon muse - nothing special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back