ELI5, how does an amplifier influence sound?
Nov 2, 2023 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

swolar

New Head-Fier
From what I've read or seen on reviews, I get that an amplifier doesn't (and shouldn't) affect the tonal balance of a pair of headphones. But I do read that it affects technicalities like instrument separation, and I hear the term "dynamic" being used a lot.

Could you explain what an amplifier changes or brings out from headphones?
What will I experience when I get my first amp?

Nov 2, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 6
whoever said that an amplifier won't effect tonal balance must be using a very flat-response amp, because this is definitely not the case with all amps, some, sure, but not all. a lot of amps have internal processing designed specifically for that purpose, and lots that don't will have a very coloured sound anyway. in answer to your question, this depends entirely on what amp you get, and which headphones you use. as a general rule, if you go straight from a phone/laptop to a DAC/amp (an amp with internal decoding, taking a digital input, then you will get a much cleaner, more detailed sound, if you are simply getting an amp (without a DAC), then this will only increase potential output.

Nov 2, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 6
Unfortunately, the answer really depends on your specific equipment.

What headphones are you using? Can you look at their specs and check their impedance and sensitivity?

Some headphones, and many IEMs, don't benefit much (or at all) from an amplifier. Others rely on the additional power of an amplifier to reach full volume. If the impedance is low (under 100 ohms) and the sensitivity is high (above 110 dB) you might not need an amp.

Here's one explanation:
https://www.themasterswitch.com/headphone-impedance-sensitivity-explained

Meanwhile, some amplifiers are built to boost power with minimal distortion; others (especially tube amps) are made to reshape the sound in ways that some listeners prefer when using compatible headphones.

As for DACs, some phones and computers (like recent Apple Macs) have accurate DACs (digital analog converters, the chip that converts digital computer files into the analog signal that vibrates the driver of the headphone); some skimp on the quality of the DAC and are improved by an external DAC.

If you have headphones (not IEMs) that do need amp power, and you're playing from something with USB output (phone or computer), you can experiment relatively inexpensively with a DAC/Amp: the VE Megatron. It's a DAC/Amp that's got plenty of power and has been measured as accurate. It doesn't have a volume control like most amps; you control the volume from your music player (phone or computer).

In the US, it's only $56 with shipping from China; you'd have to see what it adds up to in your country.
https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=63

And some people spend a huge amount on DACs, but the Apple dongle -- all of $9 -- is supposed to be accurate. It doesn't amplify, though--it's just a DAC.
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MU7E2AM/A/usb-c-to-35-mm-headphone-jack-adapter

Nov 5, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 6
If you have headphones (not IEMs) that do need amp power, and you're playing from something with USB output (phone or computer), you can experiment relatively inexpensively with a DAC/Amp: the VE Megatron. It's a DAC/Amp that's got plenty of power and has been measured as accurate. It doesn't have a volume control like most amps; you control the volume from your music player (phone or computer).

In the US, it's only $56 with shipping from China; you'd have to see what it adds up to in your country.
https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=63
I didn't realize the VE megatron was a DAC/Amp, I thought it was just an amp.

whoever said that an amplifier won't effect tonal balance must be using a very flat-response amp, because this is definitely not the case with all amps, some, sure, but not all. a lot of amps have internal processing designed specifically for that purpose, and lots that don't will have a very coloured sound anyway. in answer to your question, this depends entirely on what amp you get, and which headphones you use. as a general rule, if you go straight from a phone/laptop to a DAC/amp (an amp with internal decoding, taking a digital input, then you will get a much cleaner, more detailed sound, if you are simply getting an amp (without a DAC), then this will only increase potential output.
I want to try the Audiotechnica R70x, and will probably need an amp to go with them; I plan to get the fiio k7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back