Eleven Audio XIAUDIO Formula S Headphone Amplifier
Oct 28, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #571 of 674
Wh do you guys think the used prices on these units are so damn low? I saw powerman AND formula S being listed for 3k...

Confused.

Oct 28, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #572 of 674
Wh do you guys think the used prices on these units are so damn low? I saw powerman AND formula S being listed for 3k...

It's just the current market tbh. Sus has been 4k used for years but people needing stuff gone fast along with a slower moving market means I've seen several sell just over 3k and know of one under that. Tbh, I think everything is taking a hit right now.

That said, tbh, I think 3.5k is pretty fair for the combo performance wise, but they obviously have sold a bit over that for a while

Jan 23, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #576 of 674
Jan 23, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #577 of 674
supply and demand, it is a great amp combo...at anywhere near 3k it is a great deal

Jan 24, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #578 of 674
Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #580 of 674
How do the grados compare to the 1266 from the Formula S. I recently sold my 1266. Wish I hadn’t.
They don't, if I'm being honest. Almost every Grado I've heard and owned has subpar bass. This is something the AB-1266 excel at.

Mar 1, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #582 of 674
They don't, if I'm being honest. Almost every Grado I've heard and owned has subpar bass. This is something the AB-1266 excel at.
Thanks for your feedback. Although I think any headphone no matter how cheap compares to any other. Same with speakers. This consensus that the more expensive products blow away budget alternatives isn’t the way I hear it at all.

I’ve owned speakers costing a few hundred pounds that have been more enjoyable than another costing 10k. So I do believe a cheap grado can be fun when compared to ‘summit fi’ headphones.

Mar 1, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #583 of 674
Thanks for your feedback. Although I think any headphone no matter how cheap compares to any other. Same with speakers. This consensus that the more expensive products blow away budget alternatives isn’t the way I hear it at all.

I’ve owned speakers costing a few hundred pounds that have been more enjoyable than another costing 10k. So I do believe a cheap grado can be fun when compared to ‘summit fi’ headphones.

Meh. Its all about your personal perspective. I also agree that more expensive doesn't mean better, but tbh, certain levels of performance do often cost certain amounts (for example, sus detail + tonal balance is not a package that can be had in a can/IEM sub 3k IME). While all of audio is about "what level of diminishing returns are you ok paying for" IMO, if you are basically at all about technicalities, i agree that grado just doesn't compete with 1266. Same if you place a heavy emphasis on bass qty. They are diametrically opposed cans with completely different goals. outside of getting a general concept of tonality, I would agree that comparing them doesn't make a ton of sense even if you go for somethin like PS2000e (havent heard HP1000 to comment on that)

Mar 1, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #584 of 674
Meh. Its all about your personal perspective. I also agree that more expensive doesn't mean better, but tbh, certain levels of performance do often cost certain amounts (for example, sus detail + tonal balance is not a package that can be had in a can/IEM sub 3k IME). While all of audio is about "what level of diminishing returns are you ok paying for" IMO, if you are basically at all about technicalities, i agree that grado just doesn't compete with 1266. Same if you place a heavy emphasis on bass qty. They are diametrically opposed cans with completely different goals. outside of getting a general concept of tonality, I would agree that comparing them doesn't make a ton of sense even if you go for somethin like PS2000e (havent heard HP1000 to comment on that)
Sure, each headphone has its own signature and different drivers are more technically competent but your comment could be interpreted by another reader differently.

‘it doesn’t’ (compare) with regards to 1266 and grado to me reads like one is vastly superior which I’m sorry it isn’t. Having owned both at different times I would certainly compare them.

Mar 1, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #585 of 674
‘it doesn’t’ (compare) with regards to 1266 and grado to me reads like one is vastly superior which I’m sorry it isn’t. Having owned both at different times I would certainly compare them.

And that's a fine take, but it isn't the one of the person who responded to you (or mine) and that's also ok

Users who are viewing this thread

Back