Eleven Audio XIAUDIO Formula S Headphone Amplifier
Jun 14, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #181 of 674
the thing I find fascinating about the formula s/powerman combo is how incredibly powerful it sounds with both the abyss and susvara despite modest power ratings...in fact to my ears it sounds more impactful than many more powerful on paper amps....
More than bakoon or hsb?

Jun 14, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #182 of 674
Any tips for those of us with low ears? How to relax the rubber fittings for the head band, or other options. I have to keep pushing the 1266 down for ideal placement. Aside from that, it's surprisingly comfortable.

Jun 14, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #183 of 674
I just spent the past 9 days comparing the FS&P with a new SS HP design on my Phi and HD800S and FS&P is among the best sounding SS HP amps I've experienced over the decades (along with this new one). And, it's good to know it mates well with Susvara as that's my next HP to investigate.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #184 of 674
Any tips for those of us with low ears? How to relax the rubber fittings for the head band, or other options. I have to keep pushing the 1266 down for ideal placement. Aside from that, it's surprisingly comfortable.
If your using the new style headband experiment with a larger size "O" ring.

Jun 14, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #185 of 674
If your using the new style headband experiment with a larger size "O" ring.
I must have missed those. Where do I find them, or info about them?

Jun 14, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #186 of 674
Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #187 of 674
https://abyss-headphones.com/collections/headphone-accessories

Scroll down the page and you'll see the new style headband has flaps with screws so they can be changed if they break or to try adjustments,
"O" rings are cheap, check amazon, get a selection and experiment.

The new style earpads are on that page as well.
Thank you! Yeah, they're with screws. It said "no user servicable parts", so I hadn't tried screwing them, but then I know that's doable. And o-rings seem to come in an abundance of sizes!

Jun 14, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #188 of 674
Jun 14, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #189 of 674
Thank you! Yeah, they're with screws. It said "no user servicable parts", so I hadn't tried screwing them, but then I know that's doable. And o-rings seem to come in an abundance of sizes!
Your AB-1266 came with a guitar pick in the box, no? That was exactly for your headband to undo those two nuts :)

Jun 14, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #190 of 674
Your AB-1266 came with a guitar pick in the box, no? That was exactly for your headband to undo those two nuts :)
Yeah, a guitar pick with a logo on. I put it to other useful uses, but it makes sense that it might have had something to do with the headphones and not with just boosting my very amateurish musical career.

Jun 14, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #191 of 674
BTW: How is the size of those washers / o-rings measured? Is it diameter or circumference? I have Pi reasons for asking ...

Jun 14, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #192 of 674
More than bakoon or hsb?
if I didnt know the power ratings I would think the bakoon and formula s/powerman about on par...although if pushed I would say the bakoon may be slightly better with the susvara....one has to have the powerman for the comparison to be valid because it makes a HUGE difference

Jun 14, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #193 of 674
The first week I owned the two (11/2018) I came to the conclusion the Powerman was the way to go. The Formula S weighs in at 11.5 pounds. Adding the Powerman, in essence, bypasses the Formula S's internal power supply (I stand to be corrected if that is not the case) and replaces it with another one that weighs 12 pounds (including the case)by itself. It may be overkill but it works for me.

Jun 14, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #194 of 674
The first week I owned the two (11/2018) I came to the conclusion the Powerman was the way to go. The Formula S weighs in at 11.5 pounds. Adding the Powerman, in essence, bypasses the Formula S's internal power supply (I stand to be corrected if that is not the case) and replaces it with another one that weighs 12 pounds (including the case)by itself. It may be overkill but it works for me.
can you please briefly comment on the upgrades brought forth by the powerman ?

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #195 of 674
the power man creates an incredibly black background and to my ears a wider soundstage....the black background makes details stand out and bass be more prominent IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back