Elekit TU-8200 DX Headphone/Speaker Amp Review
Feb 21, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #1,276 of 1,441
Thankyou,

I have half a dozen brimar 12au7 long plates so that should keep me going for a while.

Eying off a set of mullard el34's....I should probably buy the amp first :)
You're already equipped then with those lovely sounding Brimars !!!

Yes definitely buy the Ferrari first before you installed a super sexy after market stereo with subwoofers in it !

Feb 22, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #1,277 of 1,441
A question for those of you with both the 8500 and 8200;

Do you have better or worse control over the volume with the 8500 in the chain? I feel like this is a dumb question but figured I should ask just in case.

And how do you use it? Full volume on the 8500 and use the volume control on the amp? or the other way around?

Thankyou

Feb 22, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #1,278 of 1,441
If I may answer this. I set preamp to 2 pm and then adjust volume on amp to suit. It’s all experimental but that seems to work for me. I probably could set the preamp to full volume and thereby have less play on the amp but experiment. The ELEKIT combo performed flawlessly so far. I find no fault with it.

Feb 23, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #1,279 of 1,441
Dumb question sorry, the search isnt working for me.

How important it is to have matching input/power tubes?

Some amps that I have owned havent been too picky in this regards but im unsure about the 8200.

Thankyou

Feb 23, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #1,280 of 1,441
Dumb question sorry, the search isnt working for me.

How important it is to have matching input/power tubes?

Some amps that I have owned havent been too picky in this regards but im unsure about the 8200.

Thankyou
Don't think matching tubes is important but always nice to have. I buy very nice driver and power tubes. My private seller never mentioned about them being matched but they are NOS and sound lovely to me.

If possible buy a nice NOS pair. You don't need all the different type of tubes unless it's your mission to sample them all. If you just have NOS pairs of KT66 and EL34, that is more than enough. Similarly for drivers. With Brimar 12au7 long plates, you don't need more. My drivers have never been swapped out since. Those Brimars stays in the sockets.

Feb 23, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #1,282 of 1,441
Those GE 6L6GC are very good and expensive to buy now. You should just start off with those Brimars and GE. It's a very good start !

Feb 24, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #1,284 of 1,441
I have a TU 8200. It was assembled by a friend. It's my headphone amplifier.
I suggest 3 simple upgrades that put this baby amplifier on the level of amplifiers that cost thousands of dollars.
1) NOS valves
2) Better coupling capacitors
3) Lundhal output transformers

The last upgrade was impressive. These transformers are very good. They make this amplifier more organic, natural and truly tube sound. Worth every dollar spent. It is worth talking to @vkun and promoting these improvements.

Attachments

• 0C01F2ED-746C-4154-8D0D-1B5AE6F2D617.jpeg
    0C01F2ED-746C-4154-8D0D-1B5AE6F2D617.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • F9B7B87F-58B1-46A5-A9B3-42EF692E4F58.jpeg
    F9B7B87F-58B1-46A5-A9B3-42EF692E4F58.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Feb 25, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #1,285 of 1,441
I suggest 3 simple upgrades that put this baby amplifier on the level of amplifiers that cost thousands of dollars.
1) NOS valves

The last upgrade was impressive. These transformers are very good. They make this amplifier more organic, natural and truly tube sound. Worth every dollar spent. It is worth talking to @vkun and promoting these improvements.
I've had Lundahl transformer in my Glenn OTL amp. I won't be upgrading my TU-8200 because I've a custom amp being ordered with Sowter transformers and Mundorf caps and other goodies. Elekit TU-8200R is a precursor to my new SET amp call Odyssey. I use TU-8200 to burn in my NOS tubes and of course to listen to music while waiting for Odyssey - which has similar tube compliments as Elekit TU-8200. :)

I miss my TU-8200 and TU-8500 combo because I left it in my work accommodation while I'm now in Sydney. However I'll be returning to the Elekit combo this Sunday.

I did make some enquiries from https://tubesoundaudio.com.au/ about Lundahl transformer for TU-8200R and they don't seem to know about it even though they sell both kit and fully assembled TU-8200R and TU-8600R.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #1,286 of 1,441
1) NOS valves

I will be building a TU-8200R soon, with Lundahl OPT's and Mundorf capacitors. Everything is ready to start, except the silver solder is not here yet.

Regardless of the amp and the build, working with Victor is such a pleasant experience. My first contact with him was an email I sent on a Sunday evening. He called my cell phone 20 minutes later to discuss my questions. I didn't even ask him to call me and honestly thought I would get a reply in a few days, but I had barely hit send on the email and was already on the phone with him :relaxed: . And every email I have sent gets a reply within 30 min. Outstanding service. If you are thinking of buying an Elekit you should definitely work with Victor (assuming you are at least in the Western hemisphere). Others in this thread have already mentioned his great service, I'm just adding to the positive feedback.

I'm sure the amp will sound great too.

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #1,287 of 1,441
Congrats @GDuss . I'm sure your joy with the TU-8200R will be further heightened with such customer service from Victor. He single handed make the Elekit brand better known in North America.

I've not heard my headphones with TU-8200 for a week and I'm missing it much.

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #1,288 of 1,441
Congrats @GDuss . I'm sure your joy with the TU-8200R will be further heightened with such customer service from Victor. He single handed make the Elekit brand better known in North America.

I've not heard my headphones with TU-8200 for a week and I'm missing it much.

Thanks UT. Hopefully you get back to your Elekit soon, and in the meantime you are listening to some top-notch equipment!!!

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #1,289 of 1,441
Thanks UT. Hopefully you get back to your Elekit soon, and in the meantime you are listening to some top-notch equipment!!!
This Sunday. I'm just commuting between Sydney and Canberra. A tale of 2 cities. Despite all the other good sounding amp, I'm still particularly fond of the Elekit combo. Each time I change the NOS power tubes, I get a different tone... different but wonderful.

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #1,290 of 1,441
I will be building a TU-8200R soon, with Lundahl OPT's and Mundorf capacitors. Everything is ready to start, except the silver solder is not here yet.

Regardless of the amp and the build, working with Victor is such a pleasant experience. My first contact with him was an email I sent on a Sunday evening. He called my cell phone 20 minutes later to discuss my questions. I didn't even ask him to call me and honestly thought I would get a reply in a few days, but I had barely hit send on the email and was already on the phone with him :relaxed: . And every email I have sent gets a reply within 30 min. Outstanding service. If you are thinking of buying an Elekit you should definitely work with Victor (assuming you are at least in the Western hemisphere). Others in this thread have already mentioned his great service, I'm just adding to the positive feedback.

I'm sure the amp will sound great too.
I really agree. Victor's work is outstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back